Bargain Artwork?

Lounge By ziggytarheel Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 12:50pm by indydebi

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

I've been looking for over a month for something new to put over our couch. I have a little money set aside for this and some Christmas money I can put on top of it, but I can't find anything I'm happy with. I don't even know what I'm looking for, except that I want a little color and the print (or whatever) needs to be at least 24x36.

I've spent hour upon hour on allposters and art.com and I've gotten no where. I think the biggest problem is I feel like I have to love it and love it forever to pay the money it takes to get something that size.

I think at this point what would make me happy would be finding a bargain that I like...that way I wouldn't have the pressure of liking it forever.

Does anyone know a great site to find nice decorative wall decor for less than an arm and a leg? I'm running out of ideas, although I do want to hit some antique and thrift shops.

Thanks for any ideas!

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 9

What about going to Michael's with the 40% off coupon and getting a poster and a frame there? You could even get the poster one week and the frame the next so that you can use two coupons! icon_razz.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 9

Art is very personal and what one person likes another hates.
The only artwork that I liked and bought came from the museum stores of art museums/gallaries. They were prints and not all that expensive. You can buy them from the museum stores on line-I just have to see the real thing before buying.
My daughter in law purchased her prints in Home Goods-the store associated with Marshalls and TJ Max that sells (of course) things for the home.
You could try those places too.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 9

Etsy.com has all kinds of artsist's work. They sell direct - it's all original artwork and some is really beautiful.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 9

Are you crafty or have any crafty friends? What about making something yourself. If you find something that you liked but can't bring yourself to spend the big price tag look at it and see if there is a way to do it yourself. It may not be exactly the same but it could be more personal since you made it yourself.

Also do you have any pictures you have taken that you really like? I have a friend that is into photography and he took some abstract pictures and had them blown up and put on posters to frame and hang in his living room. I also have a friend that takes cool pictures and I had asked him if he gets some pretty ones of flowers to send them too me cause I wanted some pictures of flowers in my living room. If you have any friends that are into photography, maybe you can make a deal with them.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9

Once upon a time I was a Home Interiors Representative. It's been a while, and I haven't even gotten on the website in a while. I know the products were nice enough quality at one time.

Homeinteriors.com

I love the candles and greenery and I still have many of the mirrors, prints and sconces.

ziggytarheel Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all your input, ladies! I had forgotten that my original idea was a poster and a ready made frame. Old age, I tell you! That would be a very inexpensive way to go verses custom framing, that's for sure.

I had thought about photography. We have some nice 8x10s framed on one wall...various places we've traveled. I would love for the picture to have some meaning. However, I'm all out of good pictures (ha ha)for now anyway. Maybe I could think of someone to help me out.

We did some "artwork" for my daughter's room once. Neither of us are artistic, but we bought some small canvases, bought paints in the color of her room, and finger painted! Fun and cute.

I'll keep working on it. THANK YOU!

ziggytarheel Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 9

I finally found something I liked for a somewhat reasonable price. I so appreciate all of your advice and thought I would end up picking out a standard frame sized print and utilizing coupons. Instead, after days and days of checking out both art.com and allposters.com, the day after Christmas, I happened upon a print that both my husband and I loved, that was 75% off, and then got 22% off the entire purchase, framing and all. Not only that, but the print was ready to ship the next day! If it arrives unscathed, I think I'm going to be very happy!

I would have loved for it to be a little less pricey, but it was about half what I thought I might have to spend, so I'm happy about that as well.

Thanks, ladies!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

Art is very personal and what one person likes another hates.

omg, hubby and I are having this very conversation! He's owned this really UGLY sofa picture since before we got married. We just moved to a new place and I refuse to allow it in my living room anymore. It's the kind that if someone was saving their nickels to "git a fancy pitcher!" to hang over their couch, this would be the one they'd buy! icon_eek.gif

He keeps saying, "How come I dont' get any say in this?" I keep saying, "You've had say for over 20 years .... now it's my turn!" icon_lol.gif

I've compromised. He can put it in his office space. He's the only one who likes it .... he's the only one who has to look at it. He's still whining about it, but the line has been drawn and I refuse to let that monstrosity cross it.

But it's time for hanging in my living space is over.

So yeah .... what one person likes, another hates. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%