Sugarshack's Buttercream Cake Question.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 2:32am by sugarshack

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 23

I'm following along to Sugarshack's buttercream DVD while I make my first buttercream cake. Actually I'm planning to make her Christmas package cake that can be seen in her Boxes and Bows video.

Anyways, I'm planning to use the diamond impression mat (as she shows in the Lagniappe section of the buttercream DVD). My question is, how in the world did she get her cake to look so tall??? When she uses the impression mat, she gets 3 vertical diamonds. I got my impression mat to see how it would look against the side of my cake, and I can only get 2 diamonds (and that's accounting for the extra height from the frosting on top).

I also checked to see what size diamond she's using, and it looks the same as mine. I bought the one with 1.5" diamonds. It really does look like the same size as the one she sells on her store site.

FTR, I put the impression mat up against my cake as it's settling. So there is no layer of buttercream on it, aside from the seal around the filling layer.

Any ideas?

22 replies
MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 23

Now that I've read my post, it really is a riddle. How can I only get 2, 1.5" diamonds when the cakes themselves are 2" tall each, WITHOUT filling? icon_confused.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 23

Maybe you have less filling than she does. On her video, she uses a VERY thickened buttercream for the dam, too. Maybe her dam is taller than yours. Her icing seemed to be pretty stiff and thick to me. maybe it's the High ratio shortening she uses???? not sure. Her cake layers seemed to be exactly 2 inches tall. She probably had a 5 inch tier after it was filled and iced. 1.5 x 3 is 4.5, so her cake is every bit of 4 inches tall. Take the top layer off and add more filling.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 23

Okkkkkkkk, I just figured out the problem.

I ORDERED a 1.5" diamond impression mat, and GSA sent me a 2" diamond impression mat. icon_sad.gif I just got out my ruler and measured the diamonds.

I'll have to contact them to let them know about the error. Ugh. Now I don't know if I can even use the mat to make the impression since it looks so wonky, because the diamonds are too big.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 23

1/2" foam core. A tall cakers best friend. icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 23

Well it looks like I'll have to make my diamonds the old fashioned way using a bamboo skewer. I just contacted GSA, and they will give me a credit for the mat. I won't be able to get the correct mat in time though since the cake is due Thursday.

Let the cake snafus begin. icon_razz.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #7 of 23

heya!

FYI< I use (and sell) the one inch diamond mat, not the 1.5. That's why my cake had more than yours I bet.

I do use 1/2 inch fomcore under tiered cakes, but not single tier cakes. It was nealry 2 inches per layer, plus the dam and the thick icing on top. I would guess it was a tad over 4 inches tall for DVD.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:38am
post #8 of 23

I feel like I've been touched by a celebrity! icon_biggrin.gif
Thank you Sharon for the information. I will be buying the diamond impression mat from your site. GSA had good service, but I want to be SURE that I'll be getting the mat that you use in your videos.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:45am
post #9 of 23

tee hee! Funny!

Glad you figured it out and thanks!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:48am
post #10 of 23

Sharon, if you're still online...

should I refrigerate the cake now that I've completely iced it in BC? I iced it tonight, will decorate tomorrow, and deliver Thursday. Is that too long to sit out on the counter?

icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:00am
post #11 of 23

are any of the ingredients perishable? in the filling? icing?

I use no perishable stuff and never ever fridge.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:03am
post #12 of 23

Nope, nothing perishable! I used your BC recipe, and used that as the filling. I'm so used to working with fondant, so thank you for both answering my question and getting me to go to the BC 'dark side'. icon_razz.gif

sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:11am
post #13 of 23

if u ,ade it exactly by my recipe, then no need to fridge.

BC is your friend! LOL icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #14 of 23

SugarShack dvd is on my Christmas list teehee....icon_smile.gif I am excited

sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:43am
post #15 of 23

me too!! LOL icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:51am
post #16 of 23

LOl..........your great Sharon.......Have a Merry Christmas with lots of dvd orders ....when I asked my son if he ordered my topsy turvy dvd he grinned from ear to ear, so I know he orderd it hehhe

sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:46am
post #17 of 23

Thank you! That is much appreciated. And happy holidays to you and yours and all of you!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 23

I have thoroughly enjoyed my buttercream DVD and Topsy Turvy. I just need more hours in the day to watch them over and over.

sugarshack Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 23

Thank you Dee!

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 23

Sugar Shack DVDs are on my christmas list also...if they don't make the cut, my b-day is Feb 2nd...they'll be on there!!! LOL I heard nothing but great things about the DVDs and I can't wait to get them!

madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:05am
post #21 of 23

I know, I am really excited now like a little kid hehe

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:24am
post #22 of 23

For those of you who put Sharon's DVD's on your Christmas list ---- GOOD MOVE!!! thumbs_up.gif They are great. I can't wait for the new DVD to come out the first of the year! That's on my ==Buy it for myself list! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #23 of 23

Thank you so much for all these wonderful comments! You have no idea how truly appreciated they are!

I am working on new one right now! Gunna be another long one with tons of info! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%