Placing An Edible Image On Fondant

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 11:56am by icingimages

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 12

I have just ordered a photo image to place on a fondant covered cake. Can anyone give mw some tips on how to do this and any disasters to avoid?

11 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 12

Hi again, I used them only once. I just rubbed a very thin layer of trex on the area which the image goes. First I loosen it up and using my palette knife and hands gently take it off the paper and place it on fondant. I wouldn't use water damp the area. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 12

And now you'll hear from someone who ALWAYS uses water to attach images to fondant! LOL

I just wipe the fondant with a damp paper towel. You don't need much water at all.

If there will be fondant surrounding the image, which I assume will be the case with your cake, I try to wet an area slightly smaller than the image. Then, after applying the image, I can lift the unstuck areas and dab a little water under them with a damp paintbrush. This will prevent the fondant surrounding the image from being shiny from the water (or fat, if you choose to use that).

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 12

I do the same as DianeLM. Just use enought water on a paintbrush to make the area slightly sticky, not a puddle.
Something else I learnt from here a long time ago was pop the transfer into the freezer for 1-2 minutes if you're having trouble removing it from the backing sheet. I can vouch for that it really works.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 12

I did this a few months ago, I just used Vodka instead of water, it seems to dry up with less shine. Very little like the others stated, just to moisten, not wet.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 12

I have also heard that if it doesn't come off the sheet, you could pop it in a warm oven on a baking tray for a couple of mins or use a hairdryer (these are the tips that were on the website I bought the image from). What I don't understand is how come it works when you freeze for a couple of mins too? Should I apply heat or freeze?

Sparklepop Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 12

I've used both the hairdryer and the freezer method, haven't put it in the oven though. When I had trouble with the edible image it was very soft and ripped when I tried to take it off as it was stuck to the backing sheet. When it goes in the freezer the image goes stiff and comes away easy from the backing paper which remains pliable.
Also have used the hairdryer but found the air the comes out far to strong and virtually ripped the images from the backing paper even though I had it on a low setting and away from the image.
Can only go by my personal experiences. thumbs_up.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

when you place the freezed image on the fondant, doesn't that wet the fondant? I understand that in 2 mins it won't be completely frozen but won't the temp difference effect the fondant?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 12

I brush on a very light (stress very light) coat of pastry gel. Works great, never have put it in the freezer. I did this on my retro TV cake.

Sparklepop Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 12

No it only takes a minute to defrost, just enough time to take it off the backing paper and it won't be damp either.

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 12

All the above methods work, especially the freezer and blow dryer if your Icing Sheet is being difficult. As far as the application is concerned, the damp paper towel method is the most popular used, and also the other method mentioned. Another method is to apply a thin layer of tylose before placing the image on. Best of luck and Happy Printing.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:56am
post #12 of 12

I am not sure where you purchased your image. If you went to a compnay that uses our Premium Brand of icing sheets with easy peal, you wont have any trouble removing the image. With other brands, you really should not have any trouble removing the sheet. Usually some brands have the trouble in high humidity. The vodka method is the best way to go.

Have fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%