Help Please.. Coloring Fondant

Decorating By mishlove Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 7:38pm by mgwebb68

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 8

I made MMF for the first time. How do I color it? I have gel color's.

I tried taking a small piece of MMF and put some gel on it and it seem's to just streak and then it's getting hard.

If anyone can give me some instructions on how to do this, I would greatly appraciate it.

Thank you

Mish

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 8

just knead the color in to the fondant until the color is uniform throughout, gel colors will work fine

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 8

I use gel colors, Wilton and Americolor.
If you need to color the whole batch add the color to the melted marshmallows before you add the sugar.
If you need to color a small portion add a little bit of color at a time and knead in until it is all mixed in.
Are you covering the mmf back up after you are done mixing?
I can't imagine why it would get hard from just a bit of color?
What kind of color did you use?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 8

The only advice I can give you is to put the gel in and knead, knead, knead and then knead a little more. If your fondant is getting hard in the process, it might have too much powdered sugar in it to start with. If you're tinting the whole batch one color, do it while the fondant is still in the mixer, so the machine can do all the work. If you have to tint a whole lot at once (but not the whole batch), you can divide the fondant in smaller pieces, tint each one and knead them all together at the end, so all of it has the same intensity of color. HTH.

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 8

I made the fondant last week. the fondant seem's to be a little stiff, can I micorwave it a little bit to soften it? I think that is why it is so hard to color it.

Another thing do you wear gloves to color the fondant so it doesnt get all over your hands?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 8

Yes you will have to zap the mmf to soften it, I do mine for 30 sec on 50% power until it is soft enough to work with.
I also do not wear gloves and for the most part the color will wash off after a few good scrubs.
I was my hands so much anyways that it has never been a problem.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 8

I only color fondant after microwaving it...the color blends so much quicker and easier that way.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 8

It is definitely easier to color the fondant if you zap it in the microwave for a few seconds, it's softer and easier to knead. I also find that if I'm making a small amount of one color and I'm having a hard time getting the color uniform, I get out my roller and start rolling, folding, rolling, folding. To me it seems to get the color mixed in faster. That's just what works for me.

If you only need one color, add your color to your melted marshmallows before you add in the powdered sugar.

My hands get too hot, and sweat too much when I wear gloves. When I'm done I wash my hands to get most of the color off, then the rest comes off in the shower when I wash my hair.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%