What Homemade Cake Tools Do You Use?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 3:55pm by BillieH

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #31 of 55

Can someone pls post a pic of the herb cutter you are talking about. It must be something very different to what I am thinking of over here! Thx

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:37am
post #32 of 55

I'm guessing she means the kind that looks like a pizza cutter with multiple wheels.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #33 of 55

I haven't been successful in the past attaching photos, but I just tried shrinkpictures.com and will try again. Here is my herb cutter. I don't remember where I purchased it. It was probably from a kitchen catalog.HTH.
LL

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:54am
post #34 of 55

i was actually looking for a lazy susan instead of a cake turntable to do my cakes on, but my walmart just cant seem to stock them icon_rolleyes.gif so instead i use whatever is near me and that is usually either a can of frosting (or 2 if i'm doing a bigger cake) or i use a CD spindle. it keeps my cakes at a level where i can work on them and it allows them to spin but not too much. and...hehe...my ghetto version of the laminated printouts....i use clear duct tape over my pirnts so i can reuse them if needed. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #35 of 55

Wow, when I was young my mom used one of those to cut her homemade noodles.... I always wondered what it was called. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif Now I have to find one for myself.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:00am
post #36 of 55

If you have an IKEA near you, their lazy susan is awesome - big, sturdy, smooth rolling and cheap. 15" and only $8! I used it for a long time before I got my Ateco cast iron one.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #37 of 55

This is so great..thank you for sharing.... I also have the herb cutter it so great and I bought ar Publix...

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #38 of 55

Oh, I have the lazy suzan from IKEA

They also have these handheld herb mincers (various brands) at Target http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001715PLA/?tag=cakecentral-20

You can use a garlic mincer to make fondant hair if you don't have a clay extruder

lthiele Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:08am
post #39 of 55

Thanks Ladies - I was thinking about something totally different! That looks like a great tool. I made my own turntable with the wheel off my mixmaster, a small cork board with a hole punched thru and it sits on a small wire cake rack. Works great and I had all the stuff at home!

lthiele Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:12am
post #40 of 55

I'm always checking out the playdough section as well at the toy shop, there are some great little tools there that are way cheaper than their "caking" alternative! Trouble is I always have to make my 3 year old a batch of dough when I want to get a cake done, because as soon as she sees the fondant and MY playdough tools - she thinks I'm playing without her!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:19pm
post #41 of 55

if you use lots of ribbon on your cakes you can use the spool that blank dvds/cds come in. the base can actually be screwed to the underside of a cabinet, put your ribbons in the lid and then screw it onto the base. a hole or slit can be cut in the side of the lid so that the ribbon can be pulled through. keeps the ribbon clean, dust free, and out of the way but easily accesible. this is also a great idea for hubbies garage/workshop for keeping string, small supplies in one place.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:57pm
post #42 of 55

I'm not sure if all advent calendars are the same but I received one this year from someone (haven't looked at one since I was a kid) and the small square chocolates embossed with Christmas themed decorations are in plastic little molds (24 in the one I got) They make a great border for cakes (rather than using ribbon) plus they are disposable too!! Even using the chocolates as a decorative border would work (although I personally threw mine out - they tasted pretty nastyicon_smile.gif) The calendars cost a buck or two which is the best part - you get chocolate decos and a fondant/chocolate mold for almost nothingicon_smile.gif

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm
post #43 of 55

I use a garlic press to make 'grass' out of fondant. Also works well for making hair on small fondant figures. You just put a tiny ball of fondant in the garlic press and squeeze. Works great!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:35pm
post #44 of 55

OMG, I think I am going crazy
My dh threw a belt away and when I saw it in the trash, I grabbed it and took the buckle off and washed it and put it in my fondant tool box (just in case). I then hide the rest of the belt so dh wouldn't see what I did and laugh at me. I feel like a kid doing something wrong lol

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #45 of 55

Oh did we forget the famous sewing tracing wheel for making a stiching pattern (as on by prada bag). and I still use the 5$ playdoh fun factory as it works better than the clay extruder I have.

@ tatorchip...You've got the cakebug too icon_biggrin.gif I do crazy things like that all the time and they've come in quite handy in the past. I have many a pen caps cleaned and saved to imprint smiles of different sizes. (I bet my family wonders why our pen caps go missing...lol)

tatorchip Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:02pm
post #46 of 55

Kassie11, so glad to know I am not the only one lol

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #47 of 55

Here's another way to use a straw. I use a large quilting straight pin or a corsage pin. I can mark an even line around the side of the cake. I use it to mark the top of the cake on the side so that when I smooth out the top, it's all even. Especially helpful for me when doing square tiers so one corner isn't shorter than another.

I also use a universal screw to mark fondant when I want a grosgrain ribbon look. I'll try to attach a picture of each item.

The third picture is a PVC Pipe cutter. I use it to cut my Wilton hidden pillars. To keep from smashing the piller, I put the large wooden dowel (that I use to hang gumpaste ribbon loops on) into the pillar almost to the place where I use the cutter.
LL
LL

sewsweet2 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #48 of 55

I don't know where the picture of the universal screw went so I'll try attaching it to this post. I give up trying to attach. It's a long rod that has the screw part with no head and no point on it. HTH

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:38pm
post #49 of 55

I just bought some new Christmas ornaments, and they were packaged in a plastic 1/2 ball shaped piece of plastic. Well, they are now flower forms....I also bought some reversed letters and numbers in the stepping stone section of my Michaels. For small bricks, I got a large 18" square of bricks in the dollhouse section and use it as an impression mat....

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:38pm
post #50 of 55

oops double posted

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:31am
post #51 of 55

Sewsweet2, do you just roll the corkscrew over the fondant or do you use it in a different way?

sewsweet2 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #52 of 55

dandelion56602,
I roll it on the fondant before I cut my ribbom stips to make bows etc. I also use it to make the ribs on my gumpaste shotgun shells. I imprint the ribs before I make the shell. HTH

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #53 of 55

Well, I just saw this picture on the net, and what a wonderful idea to make a cookie cutter without cutting yourself doing it icon_smile.gif

http://grathio.com/2009/03/sugar-cookies-plus-a-custom-cookie-cutter.html

tatorchip Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

if you use lots of ribbon on your cakes you can use the spool that blank dvds/cds come in. the base can actually be screwed to the underside of a cabinet, put your ribbons in the lid and then screw it onto the base. a hole or slit can be cut in the side of the lid so that the ribbon can be pulled through. keeps the ribbon clean, dust free, and out of the way but easily accesible. this is also a great idea for hubbies garage/workshop for keeping string, small supplies in one place.

I just used your idea for my Christmas ribbons, thank you so much for posting this great tip thumbs_up.gif

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:55pm
post #55 of 55

I've been toying with the idea of trying to make fondant and use it for the first time so I am really loving this thread. Such great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%