Tie Die Fondant??

Decorating By gabbeth Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 2:12am by manderson19

gabbeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbeth Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 5

I am making a 60's themed cake for my mom's birthday... I want one or two of it's layers to look tie-died. How is the best way to do this? I have heard of printed icing sheets but I am not sure I want to go through that trouble.. is there an easier way to get a tie died effect??

4 replies
gabbeth Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 5

oops i meant tie dye*

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 5

There was one on a recent episode of "Cake Boss" where Buddy took lots of different colors of fondant and ran them through the sheeter to get a solid sheet of different colors. You might be able to do something similar with a pasta machine. It was a very cute look when it was finished.

gabbeth Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

that is perfect! I know my italian grandfather owns one, thank you so much! i will have to watch buddy to see his technique.

manderson19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderson19 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:12am
post #5 of 5

To do a camoflauge cake, (although I used rolled buttercream) I colored several different shades of green and brown then tore pieces off of each color and threw them together on a mat. I then rolled them together until it was a continuous sheet. If the seams between the pieces seemed like they were coming apart, I used my finger with a little shortening to smooth them together and rolled it again. It turned out great! I would post a picture, but can't figure out how to get them off of my phone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%