How Do I Make Curved Chocolate Characters For Round Cake?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 12:15am by ajwonka

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 12

I need to make 2-D chocolate characters to go on the side of a round cake. I'm thinking that flat characters wouldn't look right on the side of the cake, since the edges will stick off the cake, so I'd like to make it curved, but I'm not sure how to do it? Any suggestions?

11 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 12

My suggestion would be to use modeling chocolate. It's chocolate, but still pliable and you can shape it any way you like. If you use just pure chocolate I don't think there is a way to get it to curve in the way you're describing.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 12

you could set them on the side of the pan you used to let them dry. it would give them a slight curve.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 12

Yep, the side of a pan works. I'm presuming you're talking about using melted chocolate? If your designs are taller than the height of your pans, you can use a 4 inch tall styrofoam dummy. If you don't have one of those, take a tour around your kitchen or house and see if you can find something with the height you need and the same circumference as your cake (don't forget the parchment or waxed paper). Before I got the dummies, anything was fair game icon_lol.gif Oh, and brace whatever you use so it doesn't roll around on you.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 12

Modeling chocolate would work and the letting it rest on a curved side will also work great.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:47am
post #6 of 12

I used the 4" (one 8" round and one 10" round) styrofoam dummies to mold my gumpaste rainbows on this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1521990.html [img]. Molding figures for the sides would be basically the same concept. Just use the same size dummy as whatever your cake size would be. Just let your molded chocolate cool on parchment paper on the side of the dummy. Make sure you secure it so that it can't roll on you.[/img]

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:23am
post #7 of 12

I'm doing chocolate transfers, so I actually need a "reverse" curve while it's drying, so that I can flip it over and it will mold around the cake - does that make sense? It's not a "figure" but a "picture" of a character that I make by tracing a picture with melted chocolate. To clarify, it's like a fbct, except with chocolate, so that I can have part of the figures stand up a little higher than the cake.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:52am
post #8 of 12

I would think that using the inside of a pot would work. Check to find a pot the same circumference as the cake, and after the choc has set up a bit, tape the wax/parchment paper to the inside of the pot.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 12

That makes sense - thanks! I don't know why that didn't occur to me!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 12

Yep, I figured you meant filling in a picture with melted chocolate, but I was picturing like a royal icing runout (haven't done those in a month o' Sundays because of the humidity here), not reverse like a buttercream transfer. Great idea with the pot, Leahk thumbs_up.gif

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 12

I know this is an older post, but thank goodness I read it...haha I was going to go home tonight and do a FBCT of a logo for a beer can cake I'm doing and I had already taped the reverse picture on a juice jug to get the same curve of the cake... Yes, I am a blonde, and thanks for reminding me I need a reverse curve to do the FBCT on!!! icon_redface.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 12:15am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

I would think that using the inside of a pot would work. Check to find a pot the same circumference as the cake, and after the choc has set up a bit, tape the wax/parchment paper to the inside of the pot.

I make chocolate transfers all the time & was going to reply about using a cake dummy. Wasn't i a dummy for forgetting about the reverse curve!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%