Has Anyone Crumb Coated In Ganache Before Fondant?

Decorating By erilay Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 6:44am by Anita8

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #31 of 48

Totally agree Miamorsweets, I also followed the instructions from the book Planet Cake and my cake was smooth! I also felt that improved the flavor of the cake, did you get that impression too?
Chocolate is expensive though, but is worth it!

miamorsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miamorsweets Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #32 of 48

Yes! So many people don't like fondant and this way you only need a thin layer to cover your cake. I just tried white chocolate yesterday and it worked pretty well. To be honest, I'd like to maybe just increase prices a little bit more and use ganache for everything.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:52am
post #33 of 48

Heck yeah, raise your prices for ganache.

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #34 of 48

can I make the ganache the same day? I heard to make it the night be4

Can I speed it up by putting in frige?
Also anyone ever use the bakers choc. bar? in white choc.?

miamorsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miamorsweets Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #35 of 48

I have made it the same day and you can speed it up, just keep an eye on it. Planet Cake says to wait till it gets to the consistency of spreadable butter. Ok I first made Baker's white chocolate ganache by substituting it in a chocolate ganache recipe - not a good idea! You need a lot more white chocolate, so make sure your recipe is specific for white chocolate ganache.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:08am
post #36 of 48

You really need to check out some recipes for yourself. Pay attention to the requirements for fat content. Here is a link that should answer alllllll your questions. icon_wink.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633264-.html

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:22am
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by erilay

can I make the ganache the same day? I heard to make it the night be4

Can I speed it up by putting in frige?

I usually make it the same day I use it. I have made instructions on my signature.

erilay Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:03am
post #38 of 48

Thanks Jamie and Rylan. Big help.

1 more?

CAn I freeze the cake after I coat it with ganche?

Also can I frige it once on the cake to speed up the drying process so it is ready for fondant?

THanks so much.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:34am
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by erilay

Thanks Jamie and Rylan. Big help.

1 more?

CAn I freeze the cake after I coat it with ganche?

Also can I frige it once on the cake to speed up the drying process so it is ready for fondant?

THanks so much.

According to the instructions in the Planet Cake book it says that after ganache you should freeze your cake for no more than 10mnts and then apply your fondant.
Good luck!

bubblecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblecakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:42am
post #40 of 48

I did a Planet Cake course last week! We covered a round circus tent cake. According to Handi (the teacher), you make your ganache the night before and leave it overnight at room temperature. After layering (make the original top your middle layer apparently) and torting, you do a thin crumb coat with the 'goopy' ganache (non-aerated). Then you do a thick layer with aerated ganache (use you angled spatula and whip it!).

Use a scraper to get it super smooth with no dents or air bubbbles. You should leave it overnight to 'set up', but you can just leave it 10 or so minutes.

You get the fondant to stick to the ganache you use a thin brushing of sugar syrup (made 50/50 with apricot jam and hot water).

I've never got white fondant so smooth in my life (and super thin too!)

Hope this all helps

erilay Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:19pm
post #41 of 48

I love the ganche covering.
I have not been to bed yet but I love it.
I am going to bed now...
THanks everyone for your help.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblecakes

I did a Planet Cake course last week! We covered a round circus tent cake. According to Handi (the teacher), you make your ganache the night before and leave it overnight at room temperature. After layering (make the original top your middle layer apparently) and torting, you do a thin crumb coat with the 'goopy' ganache (non-aerated). Then you do a thick layer with aerated ganache (use you angled spatula and whip it!).

Use a scraper to get it super smooth with no dents or air bubbbles. You should leave it overnight to 'set up', but you can just leave it 10 or so minutes.

You get the fondant to stick to the ganache you use a thin brushing of sugar syrup (made 50/50 with apricot jam and hot water).

I've never got white fondant so smooth in my life (and super thin too!)

Hope this all helps

Do you put the "whipped" ganache on immediately after the crumb coat or does it go in the fridge or set up first???

I am a bit confused about this "(make the original top your middle layer apparently)"..do you mean you flip the top layer so it's bottoms up? Which is how I do it.
Thanks and thanks for the info!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:40pm
post #43 of 48

For my recent first try it came out perfectly, now I am scared to try BC..haha..

Makes more than enough for 2-9"x2" with ganache in between and covering.

I used
1 24oz Bag of milk chocolate chips
1 10oz Bag of Semi Sweets
17 Oz of Whipping Cream

Heat the cream just until boiling around the edges, pour over chips and I used a imersion blender (saw this on Jacque Torres or something) and it came out creamy smooth. Let it set over nite, perfect.

I was scared the next morning it was still too thin (like thin canned cake frosting) but someone on here reassured me that it's like that..and they were right. Two days later when some was left in the bowl it was VERY thick, you couldn't have spread it on a cake, it would have torn it up.

Remember you can smooth it with a DRY warm spatula.

Don't be scared. I was but it was much easier than I thought and it tasted DELISH!! I should know I ate the ganache (what was left) with a spoon. My diet has gone to YOU KNOW WHERE!!

BTW that is for dark choc not white choc.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:29pm
post #44 of 48

What's the cost in comparison to using ganache vs. buttercream under fondant? I don't know if people in this area would pay that much more for cake.

erilay Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:11pm
post #45 of 48

Thw whilte choc set up about an hour or 2 after I mde it? IS this too thick? It is like peanut butter so I used it. Just tought I would ask. I personally hate white choc. so I am worried about the taste. I used it to fill in my spaces on my tiers as well so it is every where.

It does stay hard undernieth right?

bubblecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblecakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #46 of 48

You don't need to wait between crumb coating and putting the next layer of ganache on.

I think flipping the top layer is achieving the same end result as swapping the middle and top - plus it sounds easier!

erilay Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:43pm
post #47 of 48

The cake came out awsome. Thanks for all your help. On to the next two.
Thanks so much!!!

Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:44am
post #48 of 48

I really want to try this out after reading the planet cake book but I couldn't find anywhere in the book how long the ganache lasts out of the fridge. The book says it has a shelf life of seven days in the fridge but doesn't say anything about once the cake is
covered in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%