Red Fondant?

Decorating By j_arney Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 4:05am by Rachie204

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 15

So...is it possible to make red fondant? I've never tried. I know that I had a lot of trouble achieving a royal blue once, so I can only imagine red would be tough. None of the craft stores near me sell red and the cake shop I visited this weekend didn't have it either!! Is it impossible to make it myself or should I just suck it up and order it?

Thanks!!

14 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 15

Depends on the cake. If it's carved and detailed and primarily red (or base color is red) I will order the red Satun Ice. Pains me to do it, but I "suck it up". For a tiered or regular cake design, I airbrush it red. Beautiful red color from this method.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 15

I vote for "suck it up and order it."

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 15

Red airbrush:
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 15

Red Satin Ice....fuzzy pic, I had to blow it up from a collage...but you can see the airbrush is much deeper truer red.
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 15

I keep red (and black) SatinIce on hand at all times.

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 15

Your other option would be to make the fondant yourself and die it red. Whenever I make red, I usually add the color to the marshmellows when they are melting. If I need it to be a little darker, I add more color after the fondant is formed. I found if I don't do the color at all until after the fondant is formed, it dries out too much. I have done a few red cakes and this process seems to work very well.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 15

I've never made my own fondant. I know I need to, but it's just so easy to use the Satin Ice. Also, I'm still fairly new. Because I'm new, I also don't have an airbrush machine. I guess I'll be ordering some red Satin Ice. Thanks everyone!! I'd rather buy it now then try to make red and end up with pink!!

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_arney

I've never made my own fondant. I know I need to, but it's just so easy to use the . Also, I'm still fairly new. Because I'm new, I also don't have an airbrush machine. I guess I'll be ordering some red . Thanks everyone!! I'd rather buy it now then try to make red and end up with pink!!

Oh yeah. Coloring fondant any dark color=mess! Yuch!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 15

I only use Satin Ice in both red and black. I've tried getting the colors in the past, and it's more work and frustration that it's worth. I've had limited success mixing black and not much luck with the red. Plus, Satin Ice tastes good too, and is very easy to work with.

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 15

I actually did black fondant this past week by putting the food coloring in the marshmellows as they were melting. It did a really good job and made it pitch black, however, I found that you had to add a lot more confectioner sugar to it b/c it made it more sticky..... icon_surprised.gif

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 15

I made red mmf 2 days ago and this is the result

I didn't start with pink then go to red..I went with Wilton Red Red (alas right now I only have wilton colors)..took about 1/2 the small bottle...but it was too bright for me so I added some burgundy.

Not overly happy with the tone of the red...but it will do for some christmas cakes I have been wanting to do...not as pretty as the satin ice red or the airbrushed reds and I would never ever want to make enough to cover a cake(s) but this will do for accents and such..next time I would not add so much burgundy (anybody have any ideas for deepening red..and don't say black...tried that...it turned barney purple, lol)
LL

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 15

I have used black but just a tiny tiny amount. I have also used a little royal blue again a tiny smidge....i just have to play around until i find the right combo....

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 15

I have also started to just buy red SI. However, in the first picture in my photos, I made red out of MMF. I used both Wilton No-Taste red, and a packet of Cherry Koolaid and it got the color where I wanted it to be. It tasted great too! icon_razz.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #15 of 15

I have only done red mmf once. I already had white mmf on hand so decided to color it with red americolor instead of making a new batch. So I had to kneed it in instead of adding the dye to the marshmellows. My color turned out pretty well but what I found was my fondant became very soft and tore easily. I have heard that red breaks down the fondant...not sure if that is why I had trouble or if it was due to something else. Just thought I would share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%