Fondant Bow Question...

Decorating By sophisticake Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm by TexasSugar

sophisticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophisticake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 7

It seems like everytime I try to make a colored fondant bow, the loops never dry completely. I can make them 3 days ahead of time and they're still too soft to form a bow that doesn't sink. This even happens when I use gumpaste mixed with fondant for the loops. Is this because I'm using gel color? Should I try a powder color? Any tips would be apprecited! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

hmmm . . . I start with the pre-colored commercial fondant, add a whallop of tylose and some cornstarch and they dry overnight.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

Straight gumpaste. A fewdays ahead of time....never fails. Make sure they are rolled pretty thin too. Also, fold your loops over with a bunch of shredded fluffy cotton to keep the shape. Pull it out when dry. Hold it up to a bright light to remove any fuzzies that may be left over.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, what Leah said, fondant with a gob of tylose too if you prefer fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 7

Adding tylose to fondant does make gumpaste. I prefer to use gp cuz I can put them thru the pasta machine till they are VERY thin. But, you can also do that with the tylose added to fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

hmmm . . . I start with the pre-colored commercial fondant, add a whallop of tylose and some cornstarch and they dry overnight.

This is what I did too for a bow I made for an upcoming cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

I've had luck with gumpaste and fondant with gum-tex added drying in 24 hours. I don't think straight fondant will dry fast enough for a bow. How much gumpaste are you adding to the fondant? Is it very humid where you are? How are you storing them while they dry?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%