Twitter Help

Lounge By mellormom Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 2:43am by cabecakes

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 9

I'm on twitter and I want to send a message to all my followers. What is the best way to do that? Or do I have to go down the list one at a time?
Also, @reply confuses me. I looked it up on help but I still don't understand why it is beneficial.
TIA!
Jen...

8 replies
ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 9

Ok, I'm definitely not an expert on Twitter, but I'm pretty sure that to send a message to all of your followers, just post an update. Anyone who follows you will be able to read it. And the @reply is so you can reply specifically to someone, so like if this was Twitter, to reply to your tweet, I'd put @mellormom and type my reply. Everyone will still be able to read it, but you'd know I'm replying to whatever you tweeted.
I'm not sure that's exactly right, but I'm pretty sure it is! icon_lol.gif

mellormom Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 9

The update feature lets you send to everyone but they may not see it. If they tweet with a lot of people then they probably wouldn't see it. A direct message sends it to someone directly so they are more likely to read it. I was just wondering how to do direct messages to everyone. But that may not be possible.
Thanks for your help on the @replies. I'm still not sure why it is worth posting a reply publicly. They would have to know what you are replying too, so it may not make sense.
Jen...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #4 of 9

If you do @reply, it definitely appears in the inbox (or whatever they call it) of the person you replied to. An @reply response can be done to anyone .... not just those who you are following and/or are following you.

A general post shows up to everyone who is following you.
A @reply post shows up to everyone who is following you and DEFINITELY shows up to the person you are @reply-ing to.

@reply is also a courtesy that kinda lets everyone else know where the conversation is coming from. It also acknowledges "Hey, I read your twit and found it interesting enough to reply directly to you!" Also, the person who made the original twit most likely doesn't' have the very same followers you do, so when you @reply, your twit goes out to everyone on your follow-list and, in effect, forwards the message to a whole new group of people.

Whenever I @reply to someone, I try to reference at least part of their message so they know what I'm talking about.

For example my twit message might look like:
"@reply mellormom ref: msg to all followers / just post & your followers will see it."

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #5 of 9

Make sure you are aware of the etiquette as well. If you send a standard message to everyone, people will view it as spam and block or report you. Also, you can't direct message (private email) people unless they are following you.

Twitter is more of an ongoing random conversation. Think of it as being in a big park and hearing bits of information here and there. If it interests you, you reply (tweet back). If you have something, then you post
(tweet).

mellormom Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys!
Jen...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

For example my twit message might look like:
"@reply mellormom ref: msg to all followers / just post & your followers will see it."

Har har har, I have to comment on this, it's "tweet," not "twit," Debi...The "tweet" is the message, when you send it you "twitter," and when you're an idiot you're a "twit." So maybe I'm a twit for spending so much time on twitter tweeting my tweets? icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:16am
post #8 of 9

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Well the truth comes out .... I *AM* a twit by all definitions! icon_lol.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #9 of 9

Twit, tweeter, twitter, WTH! I am really out of the loop on this one. Now I know why I don't tweet. LOL. Just too much of a redneck I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%