What Is The Deal!!!

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm by __Jamie__

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 37

Errr....I am so aggrivated. I have made 4 different kinds of American Butter cream that used crisco some were a mixture of crisco and butter. I didn't like any of them. I came to the conclusion that I just didn't care for the crisco and decided to go the SMBC route...guess what...It's disgusting also. It tasted like a slightly sweet butter. I added some powdered sugar which made it a little more tolerable but I still dont care for it. I can't sell cakes to people when I dont even like the way they taste. What else could I try? Here is the recipe I used....

4oz egg whites
8oz sugar
12 oz butter

36 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 37

So long as your customers like it, it doesn't really matter whether you like it or not, you aren't eating it! I sell plenty of icings/cake flavours that I don't care for, but my customers LOVE.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 37

I know what you mean, I don't really care for buttercream either . I find that you have to add more shortening to make it lighter and less sweet. But I have the problem with it not crusting and I like to use the paper towel method. I made a crusting cream cheese buttercream on my last cake and I couldn't even eat it, it was so sickeningly sweet, so I won't be doing that again. When I use the regular creamcheese recipe its so soft that it causes me fits. Still haven't found the right recipe and I have tried 20 or more.
I can't really help you with the SMBC frosting, never tried it, just doesn't sound good to me, too much butter. The recipe that is the closest to a good buttercream is a 1 1/2 cup high ratio shortening to 1/2 cup butter to 2 lbs powdered sugar, along with flavorings.

Rachie204 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 37

Yeah I guess someone might like them but I am just under the impression there has to be something out there that taste better than what I have tried....something I can feel confident about.

Rachie204 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 37

thanks kathy...glad to know i'm not alone. You know this might sound funny but I really like Sams Buttercream...wonder if I could find a recipe similar.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 37

Did you use vanilla or another extract for flavor? That makes a huge difference right there. And use a pinch of salt to cut the sweetness. I use the recipe we got in our first Wilton class and love it. Everyone who has had it loves it too. I tried the one they use online using half shortening and half butter, but I just didn't like it nearly as much.

Rachie204 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 37

yes I tried with pure vanilla and tried adding salt. icon_sad.gif Thanks for the advice though.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 37

Sams uses Riches Bettercreme. You may want to give that a try. You can also buy the BC from them

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 37

Well, there's always ganache... icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 37

Well, here is the Wilton recipe if you want to give it a try.

1 cup solid white vegetable shortening
1 tsp. flavor
2 tbls. water (more as needed for consistency desired)
1 lb. confectioner's sugar (approx. 4 cups)
1 tbls. meringue powder
a pinch of salt

Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.

Chocolate Buttercream
Add 3/4 cup cocoa or 3 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted, and an additonal 1 - 2 tbls. water to recipe. Mix until well blended.

I always need more water than their recipe calls for, and if I add too much, I just put a bit more sugar in.

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 37

i use the recipe i got in my wilton cake class, but i don't use salt and i use both vanilla and butter flavoring. i've found that the shortening and powdered sugar you use makes a difference too. i use shortening with trans fats and domino powdered sugar. i also let it mix in my kitchen aid for at least 7 minutes (this makes a big difference too). everyone that's tried it loves my buttercream.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 37

Your problem is that you are using Crisco. If you use Hi Ratio Shortening, it will make a big difference. I make a buttercream with stablized meringue (no cooking required), using real butter. It is amazing tasting. not too sweet but sweet enough, creamy smooth and doesn't crust. so if you like crusting BC leave out the meringue. If you would like the recipe PM me. icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

thanks kathy...glad to know i'm not alone. You know this might sound funny but I really like Sams Buttercream...wonder if I could find a recipe similar.

Well, then just buy it from them... You can buy a 20 lb bucket from them for $30- waay cheaper than making your own.

Rachie204 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 37

thanks everyone for your responses. Cakesdevine I PM you

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 37

I've never liked buttercream icing. Even as a kid. Blecch.

I use hi-ratio shortening in my buttercream and everyone seems to like it. It totally makes me gag. Even when I mix fruit flavors into it, I can still taste that disgusting taste that I've always disliked.

If someone else isn't around when I'm making icing and I have to taste it myself, if I gag, then I know it's perfect. icon_smile.gif

cathyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:

I don't have a sam's club around here but I do have a cash and carry that has bettercream in a liquid form,at least I think its liquid, its in a milk carton. I use frosting pride all of the time for fillings, don't like it for frosting because it forms a skin, but will have to try the bettercream. thumbs_up.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 37

I like this recipe:

250g Butter
2 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar (sifted)
1/4 cup Milk

Beat the butter until as white as possible, add 1/2 of the icing sugar and milk, beat until combined then add the rest of the icing sugar and beat until combined. It is very yummy!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

If someone else isn't around when I'm making icing and I have to taste it myself, if I gag, then I know it's perfect. icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:36am
post #19 of 37

Make sure that you're not using salted butter when you make the SMBC, too. Salted butter will give you a too-strong buttery taste.

Edited to add: And when you make Meringue buttercreams, you're really supposed to be adding a liquer or another flavoring to it. It doesn't taste like much until the flavoring is added icon_biggrin.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #20 of 37

Have you tried indydebi's bc. I don't use anything else since I've tried hers.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #21 of 37

Try indydebi or sugarshack's recipe on this site. They are both very good.

cathyscakes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Make sure that you're not using salted butter when you make the SMBC, too. Salted butter will give you a too-strong buttery taste.

Edited to add: And when you make Meringue buttercreams, you're really supposed to be adding a liquer or another flavoring to it. It doesn't taste like much until the flavoring is added icon_biggrin.gif

I think that was the problem with the crusting cream cheese frosting I used. It tasted so sweet and I used salted butter, didn't like the flavor at all.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #23 of 37

I agree with tiggy2, everyone just raves about indydebi's buttercream and Sugarshacks recipe also. Indydebi's has Dream Whip in it. You may want to give it a try.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #24 of 37

Well unfortunately I LOVE buttercream but I will say that Indydebi's recipe is MY favorite of what I have eaten (wish I didn't like it so much) so far. I do add a tsp of lemon extract in it though. It cuts the sweetness and gives a nice flavor.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:41am
post #25 of 37

I'm not sure where I got this recipe from, I want to say from one of DeDe Wilson's books, but it is one of my favorites:
1 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
cream these together with paddle at med. speed
add
1 lb sifted confectionary sugar
1 Tbsp meringue powder
2 to 4 Tbsp of water ( amount to vary based on consistency needed )
mix these together on med/low speed until fully incorporated.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:58am
post #26 of 37

I had a slice of cake the other day and thought the frosting was delicious...well the entire cake was good...........so I asked what kind of butter cream it was, and here I find out they use some package mixed with water and beat the crap out of it.........any idea what that is?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:21am
post #27 of 37

I tried both recipes, and have to go with sugarshack.............excellent

Rachie204 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 37

I have been wanting to try sugar shacks....i just dont have any high ratio shortening...and dont feel like ordering any...wish you could buy it in the store.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:

I use Sam's Buttercream and while I think most times it's too sweet, my customers LOVE it. A recipe that's very similar to it is the "Buttercream for Frozen Transfers" recipe here on CC try it out!

I used to use it faithfully, but got so tired of "making" icing all the time so i buy mine at Sam's and go through about 2 buckets a week! I'm so glad I don' thave to "make 56 lbs." of frosting a week!!

I LOVE YOU SAM'S CLUB!!!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:07pm
post #30 of 37

Not a huge fan of buttercream. Get many requests for this recipe.

8 oz. butter

8 oz. cream cheese

2 lbs powdered sugar

4 tsp vanilla

1/8 to 1/4 tsp almond extract depending on taste

Cream butter and cream cheese well. Add PS in batches. mix the hell out of it. Add flavoring whenever. Don't try to make it chocolate...it doesn't work.

This recipe colors well, freezes well and tastes great. If I didn't get requests for it, I would never post it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%