Damaged Item Being Returned Tomorrow?

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm by JenniferMI

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

Yesterday I made cupcakes for an 80th birthday. As the daughter was taking these a fair distance to her father's celebration, I lent her one of my cupcake couriers (the 36 count ones). I DID charge a deposit on the box, and I'm glad I did!

She emailed me this morning to say that her husband dropped it on the way home and one of the four hinges broke. She says she thinks that it's still fine to use as there are still 3 strong hinges left. Hmmm, I don't know. I had someone break a hinge on a round cake carrier once and it pretty much left the box unusable.

She says she's happy to buy a new one (her deposit covers the box, but I would need a little more for the shipping charge), or pay something towards the broken hinge.

If I do think that the box is still OK to use, how much of her deposit should I keep to 'pay' for the damage (even though it can't be repaired)?

I'm not sure on this one! In a way I think it might be easier to just say she has to cover the cost of a brand new carrier, but is that fair if the broken one is still usable - what do you think guys?

8 replies
justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 9

I am not sure "usuable" means drop it. If someone damaged your car but it was still "usable" they would pay the damages. Since it is only a $30 item I would say that you keep the deposit and call it a day. She can keep the "usable" one and you get a new one.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 9

Keep the deposit if it covers a new carrier. Let the client keep the broken one it they want it. The deposit is supposed to cover the replacement cost of an item if it is not in the same condition anymore. Don't feel guilty.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't even have thought of letting her keep the broken one. I would probably take it back and keep the deposit. That seems fair to me because of the inconvenience she's caused you by damaging the one she used. You don't have use of it until it's replaced and you have to go to the trouble of replacing it. If the item has any usability, it seems like you should be the one using it, not her.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with letting her have it. I just wouldn't do that. Are you sure it'd even be something she'd want or use?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I wouldn't even have thought of letting her keep the broken one. I would probably take it back and keep the deposit. That seems fair to me because of the inconvenience she's caused you by damaging the one she used. You don't have use of it until it's replaced and you have to go to the trouble of replacing it. If the item has any usability, it seems like you should be the one using it, not her.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with letting her have it. I just wouldn't do that. Are you sure it'd even be something she'd want or use?

I doubt it! Only a pro-caker or enthusiastic hobbiest would have use for a cupcake courier that holds 36 cupcakes, I'd have thought! I think I will just take it back (unless she demands differently), and get her to stump up the extra few euros to cover the cost of a new one. It could always be used for storage, but I think I'd be wary of using it for transportation (which is the whole point of the thing after all!).

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 9

Why not just get actual cake boxes with cupcakes inserts in them...Absorb the cost of the boxes into the cake price and if they drop it,damage it,pour water on it...Who cares because they paid for the box.In my opinion I would never give a customer...or good friend for that matter a reusable cake/cupcake carrier to borrow.That is just asking for trouble.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 9

take back broken one -- use base as a holder for working on cupcakes, storing in frig, etc. possible could even rig up a way to cover with plastic film when need extra carrying capacity in a pinch. the top might even have a use as a storage bin of some sort.

keep the deposit -- use it to buy a new fully functional one.

have her pay S&H charge instead of "toward the hinge"

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Why not just get actual cake boxes with cupcakes inserts in them...Absorb the cost of the boxes into the cake price and if they drop it,damage it,pour water on it...Who cares because they paid for the box.In my opinion I would never give a customer...or good friend for that matter a reusable cake/cupcake carrier to borrow.That is just asking for trouble.

Because cardboard cupcake boxes:

1) Hard to come by here and if you can find them they are ridiculously expensive and to be frank, sh*te. The cupcakes bounce around in the holes - useless.
2) The only ones I have come across here have 6 holes at the most - not handy if you are dealing with an order of 24+.
3) They don't keep the cakes as fresh as a completely sealed plastic container.

If I could get big enough, really good ones, I would, believe me!

As it turns out, I'm not going to lose anything. She is returning the box tomorrow (and I'm thinking the application of duct tape on the side of the broken hinge will make it still usable anyway). Her husband has contacted the manufacturer about whether the hinge can be replaced (at their expense), meanwhile I am keeping her deposit and will use it to replace the box if fixing it is not possible (giving them 14 days to get back to me).

I think that's a fair solution all round.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 9

If they can repair it, I would give them back all or some, depending on the condition.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%