Argh!!!! My Cake Is Sagging And I Want To Punch Someone!!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 1:56pm by JenniferMI

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 18

I'm making a "yoga"-themed cake for a friend's surprise birthday party tomorrow. She's an instructor at a yoga studio and everybody has gone through tremendous trouble to set this up for her, complete with balloon drop and celebrity appearances, heehee.

Well, I was planning on painting my white-fondant-covered cakes red, to make them look crudely tinted/pigmented, and then free-handing on a henna pattern on top of that, and adding a few small gumpaste decorations (lotus flower petals with several yoga poses painted onto themm and a topper).

So I stacked my three tiers ... not the most perfect job I've ever done, but overall quite acceptable and perfectly adequate. I gave it a quick coat of vodka mixed with my Americolor red, and got just the effect I wanted.

But I guess that, between that coat and the "henna" pattern I've been painting on for the last few hours, I haven't given the stuff time to dry, and it seems to be softening all my fondant and making it all sag ... it looks HORRIBLE! I'm so stinking exasperated!!!! ARGH!!!!

All I can think of doing is walking away from it now and letting it dry for the night, and then coming back tomorrow morning to see what I ca fix with my gumpaste decorations. I'll likely have to change the entire design to make it work quite right .... SO FRUSTRATING!!! Anyhow!

Thanks for letting me vent .... fuming right now ....

17 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 18

sorry its all going off plan! i think you are right to walk away, hopefu;;y things will b better, and you can think more creatively too!
xx

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 18

im feeling your pain. i just posted in cake disaters.
((((hug))))) to you! hopefully you will wake up well rested and ready to move on with your cake.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 18

I hope it got better with time and that no family members actually did get punched!!! icon_wink.gif

emiyeric Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 18

The bulges are terrible! It's like the fondant got softened and slumped down at the base of all the cakes, not just the bottom two (I had allowed plenty of time for it to settle, it's not actual bulging ... just slumping!). Since the fondant is dry now, there's no way to let the air pockets out, so I've been covering them with my "petals" with the yoga positions painted on. And lots of buttercream bead borders. icon_mad.gif But no, JGMB, nobody's gotten punched ... yet icon_wink.gif

emiyeric Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 18

Okay ... it's done. Here's the end result ...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1527753

Thanks for the supportive words of encouragement. icon_smile.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 18

Here I was expecting a total wreck and it turned out great!

Your friend is going to love it because you made it! Great Recovery thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 18

Yes, it turned out just lovely!!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 18

obviously you have a good grasp on "cake yoga"

egads -- all the detail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and those itty bitty pearls!!!!!!!!!!! I can even tell what the positions are! and the Hindi.....

YDG! RG!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 18

LOL!!! Thanks for the feedback, guys! I look so stinking frazzled right now, I have to go clean up if I want to look halfway decent for my friend's party. But Doug ... I have to ask (and hence show how out of touch I am with anything remotely "cool") ... What does "RG" mean? icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 18

ydg! rg! = ya dun gud! real gud! (said in a deeeep south brooklyn accent)

emiyeric Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 18

LOL!!!! Awesome! I just said it out loud to make sure I had the accent quite right icon_wink.gif ...

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 18

Your cake looks good, but if baking makes you want to 'punch someone', then maybe you need to find something else to do.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

Your cake looks good, but if baking makes you want to 'punch someone', then maybe you need to find something else to do.

Like yoga, perhaps? LOL

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:15am
post #15 of 18

Oh, it is not that bad! Very original design, and you did a great job.

emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:10am
post #16 of 18

Cakepro, LOL! What if doing yoga makes me want to bake cakes ... THEN what?!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #17 of 18

That would be a vicious circle indeed. I would suggest pharmaceuticals. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:56pm
post #18 of 18

Great recovery!

Glad you didn't punch anyone icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%