Ri Woes

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 5:39am by HamSquad

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:55am
post #1 of 4

Whenever I make RI, it turns out so stiff I can barely squeeze it through the tip and I end up with a really bad cramp in my hand. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions carefully -am I doing something wrong? Overmixing? It says 7-10mins and I went 10 mins on low in my KA. Is there a way soften it when it's like that?

I am trying to do a credit card (actual size) and would like to use RI for the numbers (raised look). But is there another option I haven't considered?

I would really appreciate any advice! TIA icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 4

try thinning the RI with a bit of water. A few drops at a time and mix with a spoon until you have a firm yet squeezable consistancy. Heat bath for the hands. HTH

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:13am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:39am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

try thinning the RI with a bit of water. A few drops at a time and mix with a spoon until you have a firm yet squeezable consistancy. Heat bath for the hands. HTH

RI is pretty flexible. Don't be afraid to thin it down with water just like jlynnw says. You can even add a little piping gel to give it a shiny appearance and it also thins it down. I have painted with RI for years. You have mixed it correctly, that is how it appears when it is first prepared.
HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%