First Paid Wedding Cake...sps Issue And Things I've Learned

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm by Manotas

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I always have to cut mine. I fill the pans based on the wilton chart, and they are 2" deep, but by the time they cool and I level them, they are never 4" high. That is including filling them with buttercream in a coupler.

Am I the only one who cuts them?

No, unfortunately, others cut them too, and there have been "why did this happen?!?!?" posts about disasters whilst using SPS.

Forget the Wilton chart. Fill your pan 2/3 full. Then see if you still have problems. And there is nothing wrong with using a bit more icing on top if you still come up short. I have had to do that a couple of times...no biggie.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiva

There is a 'cap' that is around the 'female' part of the plate. It can be removed (thanks B. Keith). Removing that cap will allow your plate to be pushed down completely into the cake.

Oh yes, pop those collars off first thing when you open a new pack of plates!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #33 of 45

Yep, I do pop the collars off. I guess I'll try more cake batter. Anybody got a chart for that other than the Wilton one?

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #34 of 45

I read on another forum that you should fill your cake pans to the level you want (2/3rd full or a tiny bit more) using water. Then dump the water out and measure it. You can make your own chart of cups of batter, personalized to your specific pans.

LoriMc Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:12am
post #35 of 45

Good idea!

LoriMc Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:48pm
post #36 of 45

Ok, I filled my pans extra full this morning, so we will see if this solves the having to saw my columns problem!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #37 of 45

When you are ready to fill and ice Lori, have a ruler nearby. Measure your layers, and figure out what you need to make up with filling and icing to get to those 4 inches.....really it's a little over 4 inches. Like 4 1/8 to 4 2/8 inches.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm
post #38 of 45
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #39 of 45

Those work with SPS? Cool.

all4cake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:35pm
post #40 of 45

noooooo, I don't think they work with the BC brand...they are a Single Plate System but use their own plates....(Coast)...they are inexpensive and work JUST AS WELL as the BC brand ...I'll go check my cases(of various plates/pillars) to see if there's any significant difference and report back (it'll be later though...I gotta go retrieve my littlest angel from daycare).

LoriMc Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:35pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

or use a different size, pre-cut tube

http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=266&page=4

That's pretty interesting, because those are cheaper than the 4" package I buy from GSA.

all4cake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:44pm
post #42 of 45

I didn't have the pillars/supports for the Bush single plate system(I WAS bad about ordering items from one place...but not all parts were available then, going to another site and ordering what I thought was what I needed but it ended up being something completely different. icon_redface.gif
[/img]
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:59pm
post #43 of 45

you need your cake layer to be like 4 1/4 inches high to use the 4" legs without cutting. My problem is the opposite.....my cakes wind up being 5 -5 1/2 inches tall so i buy the bigger 9" tall legs and have to cut them! I'm constantly cutting SPS legs..........oh how I wish they were easier to cut! Although it is MUCH easier now that I got a meiter saw and a meiter box, at least they're cut perfectly straight now lol

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

you need your cake layer to be like 4 1/4 inches high to use the 4" legs without cutting. My problem is the opposite.....my cakes wind up being 5 -5 1/2 inches tall so i buy the bigger 9" tall legs and have to cut them! I'm constantly cutting SPS legs..........oh how I wish they were easier to cut! Although it is MUCH easier now that I got a meiter saw and a meiter box, at least they're cut perfectly straight now lol

icon_lol.gif Don't shoot me KH....ok, ahem. So you're tiers are 5 inches or taller, and you charge so little? Tsk tsk....hee hee. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #45 of 45

Wha a beaoutiful cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%