Piping Gel - Solid Or Liquid?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm by cloetzu

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,

Several months ago I purchased some Piping Gel. Ended up not needing it afterall for the intended cake. Today I finally opened it. It was a solid gel. By solid I mean it was like a firm jello. I've never used piping gel before but was expecting something a little less 'solid'.

I used it in some whipping cream (per a Wilton Stabalized Whipping Cream recipe). After beating it I still found 'chunks' of piping gel in the whip cream. I expected it to be completely dissovled.

Is this the way Piping Gel is supposed to be? If so how do you get it to 'disolve' in whipping cream? The recipe said not to add it until after soft peaks formed in the cream and only to keep beating until stiff peaks formed.

Thanks in advance for any advice icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 3

Piping gel should be about the consistency of egg whites, or a WEE bit thicker.

Here in Texas, 99% of my Course 1 students (about 35 per month on average) buy Wilton piping gel that has solidified. It's a seasonal thing. Just add a teaspoon or two of water to your piping gel and stir well. When you get a good wiggly line of piping gel stringing off the spatula, you're there. icon_smile.gif

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%