How Do I Make This Better?

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm by jadedlogic

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I am just looking for some constructive criticism I am new to this ( this is about my 5th cake) and am about half way through my second Wilton course. I love doing this so just wanted to share the cake I just made and see where you think I can do better. Its covered in vanilla butter cream, gumpaste shoe ( I saw all the cute shoes and really wanted to try one since I can't take the Gumpaste class until Jan) and Royal Icing drop flowers. Thank you!
The cake is in my gallery the blue and white one - it wont let me upload it here. I just realized I also forgot to crop my mess out from around the cake...oops

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, your cake is beautiful. You have done an amazing job. For me its perfect. Your bc is smooth, the boarder is fab and shoe is nicely done. Can't say the shoe is your first try! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

jadedlogic Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you ! The shoe actually is my very first try - I printed out a template and scaled it down, rolled it out and cut it with a pizza cutter since I have no gumpaste tools. I was pretty happy with it - it took FOREVER to get that dark color though because I had no black so I think I used almost a whole jar of royal blue coloring.

jadedlogic Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 8

Just wanted to add bashini that your cakes are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to try fondant but I'm scared

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

I think the cake looks great! The only thing I would say is to practice your lettering...this is something I'm always working on and never happy with but it's a nice detail to try to perfect. Your shoe is great! Haven't tried shoes yet! LOL!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 8

For having made just 5 cakes it is super nice.
Good job on smoothing the icing
Terrific job on making that shoe!

How to make it better? Work a bit on improving your shells. A shell should have a tapered tail w/a bit larger top. Yours are the same from top to tail icon_smile.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 8

I think your cake is very nice and looking through all your cakes you can see a great improvement.
I am also a beginner and I don't think you should be afraid of using fondant. Many find piping much more intimidating than decorating with fondant and gum paste. I wish I could take a class and learn proper piping skills as well. thumbs_up.gif

jadedlogic Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone for all your advice and for looking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%