What Is The Best Tool To Use To Cut Fondant?

Decorating By ideasinicing Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 3:20am by JenniferMI

ideasinicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ideasinicing Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:07am
post #1 of 11

When I use a knife to cut marshmallow fondant into shapes I get rough edges. Is there a better way to do it?

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:13am
post #2 of 11

You can cut with kitchen shears, a pastry wheel or pizza wheel, an xacto knife for intricate shapes, a bench scraper, a small rotary cutter (on a hard surface only).

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 11

I use a variety of tools

Pizza cutter, knife, wilton 3-in-1 tool. I have also learned from a site, that when done smoothing the fondant, take your smoother all the way to the bottom edge and push, it will thin out the fondant at the edge making it easier to cut, but I still am learning in this area as well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 11

If you're getting ragged edges on motif cutouts, I believe that your fondant to too thick to start with. Thin it out and then I prefer a really shape knife or an Exacto.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 11

Exacto knife

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

I use a variety of tools

Pizza cutter, knife, wilton 3-in-1 tool. I have also learned from a site, that when done smoothing the fondant, take your smoother all the way to the bottom edge and push, it will thin out the fondant at the edge making it easier to cut, but I still am learning in this area as well.

I used to do it that way, but now I set the cake on something with a smaller diameter than the cake itself (like a coffee can or upside down cake pan that's a smaller size) while I smooth the fondant, and use the kitchen shears to cut around the bottom edge.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #7 of 11

That makes alot of sense...thanks for the tip!!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #8 of 11

When cutting out fondant accents I prefer to use a very sharp exacto knife. It helps if you let your fondant sit a few minutes after rolling it out before cutting it. It keeps the fondant from stretching as much when you cut it. If you are getting jagged edges, try a sharper blade or knife and once cut, run your finger along the edge of the piece to help smooth it a little. HTH.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 11

[quote=I used to do it that way, but now I set the cake on something with a smaller diameter than the cake itself (like a coffee can or upside down cake pan that's a smaller size) while I smooth the fondant, and use the kitchen shears to cut around the bottom edge.[/quote]
Wow why didn't I ever think of that?! Awesome tip, thanks!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #10 of 11

Doing the fondant that way keeps it from getting folds, because the folds form below the cake and get cut off. That way you can get a nice clean bottom edge and you don't have to use a border if you don't want to. It only works with the cake on a board the same size as the cake...I always put the cake on a board that's the same size as the cake, then use a bigger, decorated board to set the cake on once the fondant is on.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:20am
post #11 of 11

Make sure your tool is clean. Sugar sticks to sugar.

I like a pizza cutter or some of the plastic knife like tools you can buy. I also have a very thin triangle art knife I love.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%