Baseball Hat Pricing?

Business By tootie0809 Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm by 2chae

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 17

I've never done a baseball hat. A potential client has emailed me a picture of a hat she'd like to surprise her groom with. It's a very good rendition of a baseball hat! I'm a little intimidated as I haven't done one before and don't know how difficult it is to acheive the realistic look like in the photo. Any ideas on pricing for something like this and any tips from anyone who's done one like this?

16 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 17

I just got an order for a cap also. I've never made one either. I would like to know how to make the bill.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 17

The book Confetti Cakes has very detailed pic & instruction. My public library has a copy,maybe yours does as well.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 17

They are not that difficult! I just did one recently - I made the bill out of 50/50 and put it over an actual bill on a real hat (saran wrap over the hat first!) Let it dry, then attach to the cake. I used 2 - 6" layers (If I remember right) and carved it down. I rolled the fondant out, and did all of the "stitching" on it before putting it on the cake.

Here is the one I did:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1502331

I didn't charge for this one, it was a gift for my SIL. IF I were to have charged, I would have asked for around $50. (it was a very small cake)

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks everyone! Gosh I'm such a dummie, FullHouse you mentioned the Confetti Cakes book has the instructions for a baseball hat and duh I have this book already! LOL! I haven't looked at it in a while, so I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Great job on the hat Loucinda. It looks awesome. I actually quoted the bride $145 for one ......yikes, guess I'm way over what you would have charged. I haven't heard back from her yet, but I gave her a really good deal on the quote for the bride's cake, so maybe she'll still go wtih me for both cakes...I hope. Thanks again.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 17

tootie0809... your price sounds great.. this is a special grooms cakes. she will pay it.. making it look real.. is worth the price..

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 17

I've done a couple of these and I actually use a glass pyrex bowl that I have so I don't have to cave it down as much. Like Loucinda, I also dried my bill over another hat to get the right shape, but I added the stitching after the fonant was already on the cake. I would charge $50-60 depending on the design that they wanted on the cake.

Loucinda Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 17

Hey, don't feel bad, if you can get $145. for that cake, go for it!! Mine was very small (I would say 8 - 10 servings).

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 17

Wow that hat does look real, I hope you can get the price you quoted her for it. It looks like work. Anyway, how do you all make those rivit looking things on the hat? Thanks

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 17

I bet they just used different size round piping tips to punch out those rivits... Obviously one larger tip (maybe #12) and then maybe #5 or something... Easy peasy! thumbs_up.gif

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 17

I just did one for a grooms cake it was only a 6" cake so I charged $40 for it because she ordered cupcake bouquets from me for the rehersal dinner.

Here is the picture of mine: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1519774
I just kinda figured it out on my own.

Here is what I did:

I used the wilton sport ball, (one half) and then a 6" round pan. Stacked the Rounded top on the 6" cake then cut divits into the hat where it creases towards the top. Covered in fonfant then made lines with a veining tool and stitched either side.

The Brim is cardboard ( a piece of an old cake box) make sure it it Flimsy.

I traced the outside of the pan to get the right curve for the brim that attached to the cake then used one of my father's hats to trace the front of the brim. It's almost the exact same size as a regular hat. Covered the carboard with Fondant and scored with a stiching tool.

Set to dry with a bend by placing two pans on either side so the middle is bumped up. To get the right bend on the brim, I cut a small 7" plactic cup in half and set it under the brim to hold it up to dry.

The rivits were made by cutting small circles with a round piping tip, then cutting out the middle with a slightly smaller tip. I used and Aetco 807 and 804 for this.
The Phillies symbol on the front was hand cut but I'm sure you can use a cookie cutter for a simpler more common symbol.

I should have took pictures of my process but I forgot, HTH Good Luck, it's pretty easy on a small scale but I don't know what i would have done if they wanted it larger.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 17

That's a really cute cake! And like they said, if you can get $145 for it, that's great!

Loucinda Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 17

I cheated on the rivets - I just rolled a rope, cut it into even sections, made a tiny ball of each section, took a toothpick and made a hole. icon_wink.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks Sweetsbyjen for explaining the bill process. That's the part I was having a hard time trying to figure out. I want to make one for my grandsons birthday on 12/12.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #15 of 17

I made a cap not toolong ago and made it out of three 8" cakes and then carved it down. Next time I would start with maybe two 6" because I had to carve alot away but then my daughters loved eating the scrapings! I made the brim by copying the size from one of my husbands caps and then letting it dry on top of it but I made it out of mmf and let it sit for two days before I moved it. I charged $50 for mine.
LL

Jaieni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaieni Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 17

For the bill I used a real hat to help get the curve. Wrapped it in saran wrap and then laid the piece a cut out over it to dry for 2 days, then flipped it to the other side to dry for another day. I used gum paste with a tiny bit of fondant mixed in. I used two pyrex bowls to shape it, was just a time saver!

I have a pic up on here of it, just search NY Yankees.

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #17 of 17

I also used the wilton sports ball pan for the rounded part of the cap. The bill was made with 50/50. Very fun cake!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%