Really? They Think That's Appropriate? Vent... Grr....

Decorating By jenmat Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 8:33pm by Mabma80

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:19am
post #121 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

No-I basically took something out of context and then bit their heads off for it. Kind of lost patience with the situation without having a clear understanding about it.

Oh NO....50 lashes with a wet noodle

madgeowens Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:59am
post #122 of 178

If you are in business today with the economy in the crapper I think you may want to suck it up a little to get the job...just a bit of food for thought..........if you are a famous celebrity baker perhaps you can be more select....just food for thought

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:37am
post #123 of 178

I get the job anyway..... no need to 'suck it up'. On the rare occasion that they choose someone else, well, there is always another couple waiting in the wings, ready to pounce on that spot.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:04am
post #124 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

Then they give their kid some cake, and now he's running around the house terrorizing the dog.

Oh my goodness. You so did not say this. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif You have dogs in your home while inviting clients over for a tasting? I don't think the issue is the client bringing over children, but you having dogs where the client can see them. Do you have any idea how unprofessional that is? And how it gives home bakers a bad name?

I am shocked! I don't really care if the client's child "terrorizes" your dog-the dog shouldn't be available to the client to terrorize!

! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Ummm... So things are different from state to state and province to provine, and I AM allowed to have a dog in my own living quareters, As long as the dog isn't in the kitchen that I bake in. Unfortunately my kitchen is ONLY a kitchen and not a meeting area, so my dog is int he meeting area too. But when a kid starts acting up, I flat out ask the parents is they want to let the child watch a movie in their car while they wait for their folks. And I have been a single parent, so I DO know what it's like.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm
post #125 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I get the job anyway..... no need to 'suck it up'. On the rare occasion that they choose someone else, well, there is always another couple waiting in the wings, ready to pounce on that spot.

Me too.

(Go Henry Rollins! icon_wink.gif )

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #126 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I know I wouldnt want a kid terrorizing my dog (if I had one) just because he/she is hyped up on cake.

I'm with the poster. There is a time and place to bring your child with you. It would be one thing if the child was sitting in their parents laps but to be running around and messing up some one else's house...NOT COOL!!!

AND, just because the parents are spending hundreds of dollars on a cake does not give this kid or his/her parents any right to come to some one's house and destroy it.

I can only imagine what these ppl are thinking about the OP because her daughter was sitting in her lap while she was conducting business.

I wouldn't want a kid doing this either but not every child will be like this.
My daughter is well behaved at home but very well behaved in public because she's been taught that way. If I tell her to sit quietly then she does. She'll speak a little but she sits like she should unless told she is allowed to play (with rules of course). It's up to the parents to control their children. When children come into my home I expect them to be kids but when they get out of hand I say something to them or their parents tactfully. I make the rules pretty much as soon as they come through my door, that way they and their parents know what is expected of them.

As far as her child goes, I would have just put her back to bed and told her not to get up again or she gets timeout....yes it works.

I agree that there are some places you shouldn't take your kids...like the intensive care unit or a funeral.....but a cake tasting or dress shopping? If I can take my daughter to a restaurant or shopping for everyday clothes then I can take her to the others.

I would have been offended by a "NO KIDS" policy and gone elsewhere. Like someone else said, a babysitter may not have been an option.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #127 of 178

But I do like the way IndyDebi said it in her post...very tactful

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #128 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

I wouldn't want a kid doing this either but not every child will be like this.My daughter is well behaved at home but very well behaved in public because she's been taught that way. If I tell her to sit quietly then she does. She'll speak a little but she sits like she should unless told she is allowed to play (with rules of course). It's up to the parents to control their children. When children come into my home I expect them to be kids but when they get out of hand I say something to them or their parents tactfully. I make the rules pretty much as soon as they come through my door, that way they and their parents know what is expected of them.

As far as her child goes, I would have just put her back to bed and told her not to get up again or she gets timeout....yes it works.

I agree that there are some places you shouldn't take your kids...like the intensive care unit or a funeral.....but a cake tasting or dress shopping? If I can take my daughter to a restaurant or shopping for everyday clothes then I can take her to the others.

I would have been offended by a "NO KIDS" policy and gone elsewhere. Like someone else said, a babysitter may not have been an option.

Just because you have a well behaved child does not mean that everyone else has a well behaved child. It isn't feasible to ask a potential client whether or not their child is well behaved and can sit still and quiet during a business meeting which is what a cake sampling/consultation is. And you are mistaken to think that threatening a time out will work for any child, it doesn't. I have 3 adult children...the oldest was very precocious, well behaved and never gave me a problem. The middle one was extremely shy and would have been clinging and weepy in the presence of others, and my baby boy was that little hellian that no discipline tactic ever made any impression on him...and believe me we tried everything in the book on that boy. I never in a million years allowed my children to accompany me in an important meeting where I had to sign a contract and/or spend a large amount of money. I only took them to movies that were for children Never did I subject others to bringing a baby or toddler to an R rated movie. When my son would become unruly at a public place even a restaurant we would leave immediately so as not to offend the other patrons. I respect those who request or have a NO KIDS policy. I think many people today don't use common sense when it comes to their children. If we couldn't find a baby sitter then we changed plans to Chucky Cheese or just didn't go out. You can reschedule and it is the more respectible thing to do.

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #129 of 178

Guess I should apologize for the "cake" comments earlier. It WAS an inside joke, it was from a thread that Debi was part of days earlier. Certainly not meant to upset anyone or hurt anyone's feelings (I didn't see summernoelle's comment but I think I'm referring to that). It was merely a joke (hence, the "haha" part). I just don't know how to do that "quote" thing on the forum board or I would have (and should have) icon_smile.gif

PudsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PudsMom Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #130 of 178

It's been my experience when parents don't attempt to teach their
children basic human manners when in public, be it a tasting at someone's home,
or even in a mall, they're going to be difficult to please with your creation
anyway. You've actually saved yourself a headache.

As far as the dog, maybe a babygate on the bedroom door?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #131 of 178

Just one other thing about the "No kid" policy. As has been stated, some children behave, and others just don't, so I really wouldn't have a flat-out policy myself. For example, my massage therapist had a client who HAD to bring her 8 yr old for a 1 1/2 hr massage. The child sat perfectly quiet playing a hand-held game with earphones for the entire time. However, not all children are like that. And it IS perfectly acceptable to tell someone else's child in your own home "No, honey, We don't do that here." And if the child doesn't stop you need to get out your big-girl panties and say "I asked you once to not do that, I don't want to have to ask you again." It's usually enough to scare them into listening to you. It's YOUR home. If the parents don't like it, too bad. Parents need to be trained.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #132 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan

Guess I should apologize for the "cake" comments earlier. It WAS an inside joke, it was from a thread that Debi was part of days earlier. Certainly not meant to upset anyone or hurt anyone's feelings (I didn't see summernoelle's comment but I think I'm referring to that). It was merely a joke (hence, the "haha" part). I just don't know how to do that "quote" thing on the forum board or I would have (and should have) icon_smile.gif

CubFan ~ just click on the quote button at the top right of the post.

This thread just amazes me that it is still going strong. icon_rolleyes.gif The correct answer has been stated many times already "Do what's right for you in any given situation."

cakesdivine Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #133 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudsMom

All 3 of my children were taught proper manners, but each had a very different personalities. Personalities play a big part in how a child behaves, not just parenting, and not all parenting tactics work the same on each child. My oldest two never gave me any problems with behavior. My son was a different matter. Some children just won't accept an adults rational of how things are suppose to go. Some children are wired differently and will rebel against any and all authority regardless of circumstance. Yes many unruly children are products of poor parenting, but not all and to make a blanket statement that all unruly children are a product of poor parenting is quite insulting. You have no idea what it is like to deal with a difficult child if you were fortunate enough to not have one. If you are still in child bearing age I hope you never have to experience having a "different" child, but be wary...Karma is a B(%ch and your holier than thou attitude where parenting is concerned might deal you a card you are not equipped to handle. I speak from experience because I use to think the same way, then my son was born.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #134 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I speak from experience because I use to think the same way, then my son was born.

icon_lol.gif THis reminds me of the learning curve my hubby went thru when we first met/married. My son was between 2-3 years old. One day, we were in the grocery and son was tired. The kind of tired where NOTHING makes him happy and all he wants to do is cry. Loud. Really loud. Hubby took son to the car while I finished shopping. When I got to the car, hubby asked, "If you were still a single mom, how would have handled him?" I said, "I'd hurry to finish my shopping and not care what anyone thought. I HAVE to buy food and he's just tired."

Hubby said, "You know .... as a single guy, I would have looked at a kid like John and wondered why that mom didn't make him be quiet. I know now that there is nothing on God's Green Earth that was going to make him be quiet!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sometimes, hubby CAN be a fast learner! icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #135 of 178

I'm with th "NO KIDS" policy, period. Doesn't matter how well behaved or not. A tasting is NOT a time for children. I can not tell who has well behaved children, nor am I going to waist my time regulating some one else's child. They have to pay me extra for that. Time is money. Tastings are scheduled with other people coming in as well. To avoid the potential of wasting time and cutting into someone else's tasting time, no children and 3 people max. It'a about being fair to everyone, me, the next client, and the parent as well. And if someone feels that they want to go some where else cause of the "No Child" policy. I totally understand.

PudsMom Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #136 of 178
Quote:

Quote:

All 3 of my children were taught proper manners, but each had a very different personalities. Personalities play a big part in how a child behaves, not just parenting, and not all parenting tactics work the same on each child. My oldest two never gave me any problems with behavior. My son was a different matter. Some children just won't accept an adults rational of how things are suppose to go. Some children are wired differently and will rebel against any and all authority regardless of circumstance. Yes many unruly children are products of poor parenting, but not all and to make a blanket statement that all unruly children are a product of poor parenting is quite insulting. You have no idea what it is like to deal with a difficult child if you were fortunate enough to not have one. If you are still in child bearing age I hope you never have to experience having a "different" child, but be wary...Karma is a B(%ch and your holier than thou attitude where parenting is concerned might deal you a card you are not equipped to handle. I speak from experience because I use to think the same way, then my son was born.

I apologize if I stepped on your toes. I certainly didn't mean ALL BAD CHILDREN ARE FROM BAD PARENTS. I meant, there ARE parents out there who don't even attempt it, and they are the ones who bring their kids places and make those comments about how cute they are, and inquizative, (spelling?) etc. etc. My actual point was that type of parent is also the type of person who will find fault with everything you do with their cake and it turns into a nightmare. I certainly don't think I'm holier than anyone, sorry if I came across that way. And ok, I guess Karma is a B(*$ch, I do have a "special" autistic child. But, the same goes for her, IF I take her somewhere, and she starts with a fit or something, I ask to come back later when a babysitter is available. I don't just say "oh, it's ok, she's autistic so just let her destroy your home and annoy your pets".

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #137 of 178

In the end it all comes down to one word really, respect.

As far as me, no kids at my tastings anymore, as I stated earlier.

And believe me, I appreciate those who tend to their children and realize the child's limitations. I was of the school that IF my child misbehaved in public, we went home. Period. It only took once or twice of leaving the store/restaurant and the repurcussions of that action for my children to learn. (I raised 3 of my own and had a day care for 28 years)

cakesdivine Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #138 of 178
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I apologize if I stepped on your toes. I certainly didn't mean ALL BAD CHILDREN ARE FROM BAD PARENTS. I meant, there ARE parents out there who don't even attempt it, and they are the ones who bring their kids places and make those comments about how cute they are, and inquizative, (spelling?) etc. etc. My actual point was that type of parent is also the type of person who will find fault with everything you do with their cake and it turns into a nightmare. I certainly don't think I'm holier than anyone, sorry if I came across that way. And ok, I guess Karma is a B(*$ch, I do have a "special" autistic child. But, the same goes for her, IF I take her somewhere, and she starts with a fit or something, I ask to come back later when a babysitter is available. I don't just say "oh, it's ok, she's autistic so just let her destroy your home and annoy your pets".

Apology accepted, if you too will accept mine. icon_smile.gif And yes you are right, parents that are oblivious to their little terrors are most times PITA customers

PudsMom Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:59pm
post #139 of 178
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Apology accepted, if you too will accept mine. icon_smile.gif And yes you are right, parents that are oblivious to their little terrors are most times PITA customers

Accepted.....not a problem....... icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #140 of 178

All I know is, I would never buy cake from someone who is rude to me and especially if they are ugly about children. Good luck with that !

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:39pm
post #141 of 178

I don't think ANYONE would buy anything from ANYONE who is rude to them. But I think I have to start asking, do you run a business? I notice peopel tend to give a lot of business advice and they don't know the first thing about running a business and they don't even have one. A hobby baker has a total different perspective and understanding. I personally would like to hear from those who run a business and what their policies are wether they are a store front or at home. Even then, they will be coming from two different perspectives, because the two are ran different in some ways.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm
post #142 of 178

I don't mind them, I have a little munchkin....who is nowhere to be seen when it is tasting time. It's just not the place. But if a client wants to bring them, fine. They count as the 1+guest however. And they can either sit at the table, on their own little chair, or sit quietly in the front reception area on the couch. So far, no troubles. But I wouldn't have any problem with ending a consultation if the children were being disruptive. Then again, if the adults were being disruptive, I would do that too.

Did I just read upstream about a dog running around at a tasting?? Wow.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #143 of 178

Seriously after 10 pages, everyone should realize that we're never going to agree on what she should have done and what is the "right" thing to do next time. Everyone is going to do what they feel is right and what is best for them and "THEIR BUSINESS".

Some are saying they would want to share the experience with their child....but what exactly are you sharing with your child when they are running around causing trouble and couldn't care less about what you are doing.
Are you going to look back years later and think 'remember that time at the cake tasting when junior was running around that strangers house (or cake shop) and terrorizing their dog. What a great time that was trying to keep him from screaming the whole time'.

I too think no kids is probably the best policy. If you are signing any contract you don't want to be distracted and miss something important. I have two girls and wouldn't want to bring them anyway, even though they are very well behaved, especially in front of others.

Like I said before, that is just my way and it would be what is best for me and them.

Sanveann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sanveann Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #144 of 178

I'm primarily a lurker, so I'm a little hesitant to post for the first time in a rather controversial thread ... but I did want to chime in.

I have a 2 1/2-year-old (and an 11-month-old), and I do think this child's behavior, as well as the parents', was appalling. Not to mention, a bakery is not a place for a child, though I'm guessing that the parents merely thought, "Hmmmm, I bet my kid would LOVE to try some cake!" (And I know that sometimes a sitter is hard to find. My husband and I have, personally, been dumb enough to bring them to get our taxes done, thinking -- wrongly -- that one of us could entertain them while the other got business done. Won't happen again!)

I'm guessing that a lot of people don't realize that there's more involved than just eating some cake. They don't realize the length or depth of the meeting. So I would give them a warning up-front: "This meeting will take at least an hour, and if you'd like to get a cake from me, we'll be signing contracts and such. So I highly recommend that kids under age X not come along. They get bored, and the bakery isn't a safe place for them to play."

Mensch Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #145 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

All I know is, I would never buy cake from someone who is rude to me and especially if they are ugly about children. Good luck with that !

Honest to Pete, where are you coming from with this statement?

I'm never rude to them and I'm never ugly about their kids. I just say that if they are parents then they need to organize a sitter. That is certainly not rude nd has nothing to do with any real or imagined opinion about children.

Why do you assume that business owners who don't want clinets' children at a business meeting are automatically rude to the clients and ugly about their kids?

*scratching head and wondering why, if I'm so rude and ugly, I have a 99% booking rate......*

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #146 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Honest to Pete, where are you coming from with this statement?

I'm never rude to them and I'm never ugly about their kids. I just say that if they are parents then they need to organize a sitter. That is certainly not rude nd has nothing to do with any real or imagined opinion about children.

Why do you assume that business owners who don't want clinets' children at a business meeting are automatically rude to the clients and ugly about their kids?

*scratching head and wondering why, if I'm so rude and ugly, I have a 99% booking rate......*

I'm with ya, Mensch. My confirming email strongly suggests that children be left at home, but I keep a basket of McD's Happy Meal toys in my shop for kids to play with. Two little boys, 5 and 7 years old, had a great time playing with the little Hummer trucks that were in my basket. The 3 year old little girl loved stacking my (undecorated) sytrofoams like big building blocks. I'm not "rude and ugy" toward their children. I just point out that the parents will have a much more enjoyable experience if they can find alternate child care for this hour.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:02pm
post #147 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'm inspected, licensed and insured and a home baker. Just gettin' that out of the way.

When someone calls for an appointment I ALWAYS ask "How many people will be coming to the appointment?" Whatever the answer (over 1) prompts the following question, "And everyone coming is an adult, correct?" If the answer is no, then I try to gently say "Your children will not be happy having to sit quietly and still for an hour during a business meeting." Generally they get it. Sometimes not. Then I'm a wee bit more directive.

I haven't read thru all the posts but I have to say Leah hit the nail on the head - this is a "business meeting". Bringing children to any business meeting is not appropriate IMO. And as for all the extra relatives showing up for the tasting...sorry, folks, but if I'm told there will be two people and six show up, guess who's NOT getting cake??? The extra four people can wait out in the car. It's just rude and inconsiderate for a BTB to expect she can bring every relative within a 20 mile radius to a cake tasting intended for two people.

By the same token, if you're the home baker then having kids or dogs around is not appropriate either. Quite frankly if I went to someone's home for a cake tasting and the baker had a kid on her lap and a dog running around the house, I'd be looking for a new baker. Appearances are EVERYTHING, people, and if you want serious business coming your way you need to present a serious image. If you can't give the BTB an hour of your time without being interrupted by kids, animals, spouses, phone calls, etc., then you need to think about finding a place that will allow you to conduct a tasting in a professional manner - a coffee shop, meeting room, restaurant, etc.

Sorry - I guess I'm in a mood today, too!

Mensch Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:06pm
post #148 of 178

Don't you dare apologize missy!!!

Everything you said was just SPOT ON!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #149 of 178

My two cents is that sometimes it's hard to get a sitter, and if I have to bring my kids to a non-kid friendly place, I expect them to act right. That being said, kids are kids and don't always cooperate. When that happens, we leave and I would reschedule. I wouldn't let me kids run around a stranger's house.

If you don't want to deal, just don't allow kids, it's your business, you make the decisions. However, to some (me included) it would be off putting. But we have the option of shopping elsewhere.

Mensch Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #150 of 178

The option to shop elsewhere always exists, thank goodness. I would most definately shop elsewhere if I came to a cake consultation and the baker had a kid on his/her lap and dogs running around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%