Why Would Black And White Edible Image Turn Sort Of Purple?

Baking By nickdrewnjaysmom Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm by cylstrial

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:57am
post #1 of 6

Hi..

I have done edible images on cookies a ton of times, NEVER had a -problem. I used a black and white wedding picture edible image on a fondant covered NFSC.

I take a hardly wet paper towel, and "swipe" the fondant. The fondant is NOT really wet, just gets a little tacky, so the image will stick, I always do it this way.

I piped royal icing around the image. They looked great when they were all done. They dried over night in sheet cake boxes, so they weren't in the light) that were not sealed up just had the cover laid over top. I looked at them in the am, and they have a purple tint to them now. It really depends what light, but the color really changed. I am so upset. I ALMOST did them over..I want all my orders to be perfect... icon_sad.gif

I did get a few opinions everyone said they look fine, but I want to know WHY it happened. They are bagged and tagged, and in the freezer now for a few days, I hope they don't get any worse in there!! I wish I took a picture before I put them in the freezer..

Anyone have any idea why this happened?

Sorry this is soooo long!

TIA
JoAnn

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 6

Printer ink low maybe? I painted a cake with black the other day and I had to go over a lot of the brush strokes because of a similar weakness in the black coloring where one brush storke came out both black and greenish depending on how the brush was loaded with paint and how I brushed it on--so I had to go over the greenish.

Thankfully the restaurant had soft lighting that was complementary so it worked.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 6

Did you use the option : only black ink ?
I did a black logo over toba's glace a few weeks back and they were perfect.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I was wondering when you put edible images on cookies, do you use frosting sheets or wafer paper? I just got a edible image printer and I'm looking forward to using it a lot!

Also what's the best way to store the images for an extended period...room temp? freezer? fridge?

Thanks

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, make sure to check mark the "black ink only" option when printing black and white images. And icing images can be stored in the fridge for at least 6 months. I just used one about 3 weeks ago that I'd had since April, and it was just fine. Icing is one of those amazing things that can last just about as long as a McDonalds french fry! LOL

Lucky girl getting your new printer!! I want one of those too!! icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 6

Black uses either pink or purple - so when it mixes with white, it turns it a funny color. It will do that with RI, if you don't let it dry long enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%