I Guess There Is A First Time

Baking By cakemeasIam Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm by luv2bake6

cakemeasIam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeasIam Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 13

for everything...i just got stood up for an order.
not a very big one- but it is the principle. I phoned - no answer.
my hubbie is mad...

and am i out of my mind??? client called and wanted an opposum(sp?)
to serve 30 people.
I quoted a price of $85.00.... fondant, carved. she said that was outrageous. and nearly hung up on me...
again my hubbie is mad....

thanks for listening!

12 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #2 of 13

So you made the cake after you got hung up on???

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 13

Please tell me those are separate instances!

cakemeasIam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeasIam Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 13

no!! icon_smile.gif
that was another one of my customer run ins today...
I doubled up on my posts- sorry

a guy order cupcakes and never showed up...
the other was just a rant about pricing!! lol

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 13

But that really sucks that you made the cookies and she didn't show. I think it's time for you to get a cookie contract drawn up so that thisdoesn't happen again.

And as for the other lady (if it was another lady), be glad that you don't have to deal with her. $85 sounds low for possum cake.

And you were right, it's opossums or possums.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 13

How many cupcakes? Send them a bill.

$85 dollars for a carved cake? You should have let her hang up so that you didn't have to bother with her anymore.

Sorry you're having a bad day.

(LOL Hubbies.......aint they funny? They seem to be the only ones who realise what our cakes are worth.)

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #7 of 13

I know several bakers who won't do a carved cake for less than $125. Use Deb's method: "Oh I love those carved cakes like Duff makes! Good thing I'm not nearly as expensive as his $1000 dollar minimum! My carved cakes start at $85." Just insist that it's a bargain and once they do some comparison shopping, they'll be back!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:50am
post #8 of 13

Sorry you had a bad day.

My first time was an order for 125 cookies with edible image photos. After i had them done and called about them, the lady tells me they cancelled the party and oh, so sorry she forgot to tell me! I had told her that i spent time on them and i can't even use them for anything else because they were personalized. She started crying money problems so i just let it go and considered it a learning experience.
My husband was also quite angry because not only did i work hard on all those cookies, but the EIs and the edible ink cost me money too. I also had to work on the photo a lot to make it sharper.
Anyway, since then, i request a 50% deposit on ei cookies, before i even move on the printing.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 13

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Hope today is a happy one! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 13

A carved cake for $85?!?!?! Can I buy your cakes & sellt hem at my prices? icon_biggrin.gif I have a carved cake minimum of $150...that is about to go up. You might want to try a minimum as well to eliminate clients that are too cheap to pay and will save you from waisting time on the cheapos.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 13

Yeah, If I take a knife to a cake, it's $6 per serving, so that critter would have been $180. And generally I have to be pretty desperate to take a carved cake order. Just not my thing.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 13

Oh I didnt read the op well enough, yes I see 2 separate issues now. Anyway I got stood up on a cookie order last month as well and she was a repeat customer. I called her the morning of the delivery day to double check the time and she says oh I forgot I've already left for the party(which was out of state) Fortunately it was only 10 cookies, unfortunately they were x-rated so I cant even let the kids have them, and I dont think my husband would enjoy eating them so they are in my freezer for now. If she calls again, either she is getting the freezer cookies or is paying up front!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 13

It's sad how many people there are who just don't realize the amount of work there is going into their orders that they cancel or forget about in the last minute

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%