Should I Give A Discount If Someone

Baking By pattycakes55d Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm by verono

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 20

orders more than 2 dozen cookies? Like one cookie free or something? They're teachers ordering for their preschool kids. Your input would be appreciated.

19 replies
350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 20

I do, but I charge $5.99 per cookie so I have room to discount a little. I would give a percentage, like 10% off or something.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 20

Well, it's your business, so you should do what you feel comfortable doing. And this person will tell another person, and will you readily give discounts for everyone? And where do you draw the line? As in, a bride wants 300 cookies as favors. With RI. And they are intricate. How many is THAT free, and how much time is it going to take to do the free cookies???

So again, it's your business, you should do what you feel comfortable doing. Personally, I wouldn't. But that is just me.

Good luck!

350BakerStreet Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 20

I agree, it's totally about what you feel comfortable with offering. You definitely don't want to get stuck being the "chick that gives away cookies" icon_smile.gif Feel free to check out my site for how I discount. I have a tiered-discounting for my cookie favors. It has worked for me.

pattycakes55d Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 20

thanks for your input. I like the idea of the discount applying to the same style. Love your cookies 350BakerStreet!!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 20

why would you even THINK about some kind of discount for a lousy 2 doz cookie order? icon_confused.gif

pattycakes55d Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 20

here we go, I can hear you now when I say ---- she's a friend. Ok, Ok, Ok.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 20

Actually, I can understand a "friend" discount. It was bothering me that you might think 2 doz is "volume" that merited a discount. thumbs_up.gif

350BakerStreet Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:27am
post #9 of 20

I don't know about anyone else's case, but it makes my customers feel like they are getting a good deal, but I don't sacrifice profits in a detrimental way. Like I said, it works for me, and ONLY applies to the same design.

Thanks PattyCakes icon_biggrin.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:49am
post #10 of 20

Nope!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:39am
post #11 of 20

I agree. I know i feel like i'm getting a good deal on anything that comes with a discount or freebie. When it comes to cookies, though, it's hard. Every single cookie is the same work.
If it comes to a simple size and design of a cookie, it may be worth giving some sort of freebie (not discount) since you've already got the icing or fondant mixed and colored, etc.
If it's a more intricate design, i don't think i'd give any extra.

While i don't officially sell or advertise, i sometimes get orders from people who know me or who've been given my number.
So i had this woman call and say she'd like to order 100 wedding cookies and asked how much they were. I asked her what kind of cookies she's looking for and she said the engagement ring and the double hearts and the wedding cake cookies. Ok, simple enough, so i gave her a price per cookie. Well, she agreed and then proceeded to tell me that she'd like most of them personalized with initials and names, as well as some personalized cookie cards (large) similar to what she saw at ouir mutual friend's party! I was sort of taken aback because i'd already given her the price and i felt uncomfortable to going back and saying well, for those it's this price and for those it's this price. I'm so new at this.
So i ended making assorted cookies, in assorted sizes, with personalizations for the price i wanted to charge for simpler cookies. Oh, and did i mention that she also wanted them wrapped in order to give out as favors?

It was definately a learning experience in addition to great advertisement. From now on, when i get a call asking about prices, i'm going to be better prepared to lay it all out up front before hearing what they want (eg: price for decorated, price for personalized, price for custom, price for larger cookies, price for larger personalized cookies.......get the point?) That way they will be able to choose and i won't be underpaid.

pattycakes55d Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:55pm
post #12 of 20

you know luv2bake6 that saves a lot of time and no one will feel badly. I have to get a stronger backbone.

I just had an inquiry to make 100 cookies, same shape.....and could she have a discount? grrrh. I'm going to alter my little blurb so it's more clear to everyone. I am learning so much and thank goodness for you guys at CC. You are so kind, helpful and very patient with me.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 20

I give 10% off the first order for new customers..and I can't tell you the number of times i have had someone call to order a $20.00 cake and when they heard they get 10% off they raised it to a $35.00 cake.....................huh??????????/ you were only saving $2.00!!!! Guess they figure since it's "on sale" they can get the next size up! lol

350BakerStreet Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 20

I just did a wedding order for 100 monogramed cookies. Thank God for stencils because I usually do them by hand, and I have to recover for two days after something like that. For personalization, I would definitely add an additional charge ($.50/cookie?) because it does take extra time.

Also, in luv2bake's case, I would have counted each design as a different order and discounted each set as opposed to the higher discount for all 100. For me, it doesn't matter really if they are similar colors, because I usually use them in a different order which has me changing bags and doing more work. (I'm not sure if that all made sense?)

For example:

100 cookies=20% discount, for a total of $479.20

35 wedding cake cookies=10%
50 ring cookies=15%
15 placecards= no discount
your total= $552

luv2bake6 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 20

I didnt give a discount. I just quoted a price that was way too low for what she wanted. But damn! I'm looking at your total with the discounts and i didn't even come close. That's why from now on i need to give the various price ranges up front before knowing what they want. I'd rather quote and then take off if necessary than to quote a price that does not even scratch the surface for compensation for the work needed.
I can guarentee that if she heard the list of prices first, she would not have wanted them bagged, nor even had so many personalized. And wouldn't go near the cookie card either. Then i would've ended up making the same money for much less work than what i did.

Patty, you're right, i need a backbone too.

350BakerStreet Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #16 of 20

Luv2Bake-It's all one big learning experience icon_smile.gif I took an order once for 5 cookies (my minimum at the time was 12) but it was for my mom's co-worker so I did it anyways. Busted my butt for practically nothing and then when she got them, she complained that they were "too simple" and she could have done them herself. Arrggghhh!!! Some people!!!!

Needless to say, I'm that much smarter lol icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #17 of 20

Going through the experience, is frustrating, but the lessons learned for the future is priceless........can that be a Visa commercial?

350BakerStreet Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 20

Haha! I think so icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:36pm
post #19 of 20

LOL

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes55d

orders more than 2 dozen cookies? Like one cookie free or something? They're teachers ordering for their preschool kids. Your input would be appreciated.

More than 2 dozen?
2 dozen is my minimum...!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%