Candy Melts - How Do I Make It More Runny?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 6:48pm by chocaholikk

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 9

I have Candy melts from Michaels....and I melt them on the stove using the Double boiler method. It melted, but I needed it more runny, I would like to use it as a glaze for my tinny cookies, not to spread with a knife, I would like to pour it over.
So I tried Corn syrup...and another batch with Crisco, and it is still not the consistency I would like. What else should I use?
PS: I don't have any real white chocolate at home, and can't run to the store, so is there any suggestion for the Candy melts???
Thank you

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:16am
post #2 of 9

Add cream. Best way is to heat the cream until it is just about to boil, then pour it over the candy melts.
From what I have recently read on this site, you need like 3 measures of cream to 1 measure of chocolate. White choco is naturally thicker than dark chocolate.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 9

Won't the cream make the chocolate seize? I add some corn syrup and it did seize, so I am not sure of the liquid part. But it looks like you have an experience with it. I will try it.
For now, I add some more Crisco, and it made it more runny. I was able to dip my mini stars cookies, but when I dip, it made a peak in the middle. I mostly looking for smooth glaze. Will try the cream...thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 9

No if you do it the way I described.
As for the peak....try tapping on the bottom of the cookie until it becomes smooth.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #5 of 9

Wilton candy melts ganache recipe:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Ganache

HTH

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 9

You can add a small amount of shortening or paramount crystals. That makes them alot thinner. Just add them very slowly.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #7 of 9

I actually just did it tonight. I had already melted my chocolate. So I went ahead and melted shortening all the way and then mixed it into the chocolate. It worked out great.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #8 of 9

You dont have to melt it first. Just add small amounts.

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 9

AI sdded trex and it worked fine hun x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%