Cake Off-Cutts

Decorating By Sandysdream Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 3:54am by TPACakeGirl

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 10

What do you do with your cake off-cutts? Do you just throw them away? It feels like such a waste. My dogs do not want to eat it anymore. Sometimes the kids or my husband will come past and take a piece - if there is also icing left. My mother-in-law said I should put it in the freezer to use for trifle, but I never make trifle and after a while I just throw them away.

9 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 10

You can make cake pops, bakerella has fabulous ideas for this
http://www.bakerella.com/

or cake balls

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cake-balls/detail.aspx

Its funny that the dog won't eat them anymore....one of my dogs love love loves my gumpaste figures icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 10

I hardley ever have any cut offs.

Jen icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 10

Mine go into the trash. I really don't need them around to snack on.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 10

Trash. Straight in the trash. It's work product scrap, just like leftover paint for a painter, wood shavings for a woodworker, yarn bits for a knitter and metal shaving for a metalshop.

Trash. It's all trash.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 10

LOL. I love Indydebi!!!! I put all my scraps into a ziplock bag and straight into the freezer. When I get around to it, usually at holidays, I make a GIANT batch of cake balls and box up a dozen or so for each family member. Cuts down on the gifts I buy at Easter and Christmas and they get gobbled up so quick!! Everyone appreciates the "time" I take to make them. Little do they know they're eating leftovers!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 10

Normally, I just had a bowl of scraps to my husband. He loves them!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 10

Bribery to get my kids to clean their rooms! icon_lol.gif Really, they go straight in the trash!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #9 of 10

I throw them away (after I taste them), cake balls are just more work for me, but I do like the tops of my triple chocolate fudge cake when I first cut the top off,crispy and hot and oh so good. I always eat me just a bit, ok so I eat the whole thing but it's chocolate icon_lol.gif .

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:54am
post #10 of 10

I use them to taste a new combination. So, if I'm making a cake with a certain filling or frosting flavor, I will put them together to see if they taste good or not. After that, I force myself to throw them out because I will eat them otherwise, and that's not healthy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%