Snowflake Impression On Fondant?

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 1:55am by MORSELSBYMARK

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 16

I am looking for some help with this.....I want to make a snowflake impression on a fondant cake - what would be the best tool to do this? (I am looking for something to dust with luster dust first, so it just makes a light impression of a snowflake - and is sparkly) I saw a cake picture recently that has something like this, but after doing the advanced google search, I am obviously computer illiterate, since NOTHING comes up. icon_redface.gif

I am looking at the patchwork cutters and the PME plunger ones, if anyone has done this, I would appreciate some input!

15 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 16

Maybe a rubber stamp, lightly coated in crisco, to a., make a barrier in between the rubber and fondant, and then to get the dust to stick?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I am looking at the patchwork cutters and the PME plunger ones, if anyone has done this, I would appreciate some input!

I have both of these and I really love them. I use them to make the impression first, luster dust and/or sparkle, and then cut out a few snowflakes and put those on for some dimension. I find them very versatile and worth the money.

HTH
Rae

Loucinda Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 16

Thanks - Rae, which one of the two do you think is the best for what I am looking for? I am wanting to do this on the cake that is going to have the gumpaste poinsettias around the base of each layer. I thought it would be a pretty effect.

What do you think? Too much, or will it be a nice addition?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 16

I think snowflakes with poinsettias will be lovely.

The patchwork cutters are the most detailed, but also the most finicky. I honestly can't get the largest one to work for cut-outs--even Nick Lodge has problems with that one--but for impressions, it's the prettiest. The middle one works great for cut-outs, as does the smallest one.

The PME plunger cutters are more geometric, but they are sooooo quick & easy for cut out. You can cut out fifty before you know it.

The ones on this cake are done with the plungers and the medium patchwork cutter.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_q0PWTpbiRjo/SWgS3ZQh3xI/AAAAAAAAANU/OY32B5wZF-s/s1600-h/Snowflake+cupcake+cake+small.jpg

HTH
Rae

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:49am
post #6 of 16

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=snowflake+plunger+cutters

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=8175&step=4

Available at Global Sugar Art and Goldas Kitchen also McCalls http://www.mccalls.ca

I have a few questions ....

I used them on gum paste. I am not sure if I rolled the gum paste too thin or ..... ?

I couldn't get them to release. They break easy when dry and I couldn't get the medium or small to work. Do they work better with fondant or 50/50 mix?

Any input ... help?

I am making a snowflake cake this weekend. 3 teirs all white with white snowflakes that I will be dusting with silver luster. I've made some already but I am thinking of doing them in fondant and attaching to the cake with fresh so that I can shape them to the cake or whatever looks best.

Any suggestions , comments? Please and Thanks.

Loucinda Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks Rae - that is the info I was looking for. I love them on your cake!!

A - I would use a 50/50 blend, not quite as fragile as just plain gumpaste. I haven't used the cutters yet, so I am no help there. I can't wait to see pics of your cake!

CakesByAdriana Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks I will give it a try. I will post pics on the weekend.

Does anyone else have input that used the cutters?

CakesByAdriana Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #9 of 16

I have added pictures of the snowflake cake. Thanks for looking.

stickytoffeepudding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stickytoffeepudding Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 16

Over here in the UK we use Mexican paste with the patchwork cutters, if the paste is too thick then the cutter will not cut Properly. Here is a link with a recipe in which Marion from Patchwork cutters uses.

As for the cutters i have all of the Snowflake cutters from Patchwork and they are brilliant for both cutting out and embossing

http://www.patchworkcutters.co.uk/POM/pom_mexican1.asp

CakesByAdriana Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks I will look into this

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #12 of 16

I just got a set of the plunger cutters for snowflakes. Does anyone have any tips? Will they work well w/MMF? How thick should I roll the fondant?
Thanks!

Loucinda Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 16

I ended up cutting mine out of MMF/gumpaste (50/50) - and I dipped them into disco dust as soon as they were cut for the sparkle. I had no problems with them! I greased the cutter though - just smeared some on the cutting mat and swiped the cutter through that. I love the effect it gave me for the cake I did.

here is a pic of the cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1532173

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:27pm
post #14 of 16

I don't think this is what you are looking for, but...
I used a set of acrylic snowflakes to make impressions in fondant. They are about 2 inches at the widest tips. Because they are meant to hang, not bake with, the depth really was impressive. I'll look for a picture...

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:44am
post #15 of 16

Beautiful Loucinda. I LOVE my new cutters! They were so easy to use. I was afraid they wouldn't release well, but they did.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #16 of 16

Beautiful cake loucinda. I just ordered edna's poinsettia dvd - can wait to learn how to make em!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%