Tips For Making Gum Paste Figures?

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 6:12am by CakesByAdriana

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 10

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips for making GP characters. I have never made one before so I puchased one of aine2's tutorials, but I am having some major issues when trying to make mine. I am using 100% gum paste and it is quickly getting wrinkly as I am working with it. It doesn't mention anything in the tutorial about waiting any amount of time between putting the torso on the bottom, but when I do it is slumping and falling backwards. This is for a cake next weekend, so I need to get it done asap. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

9 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 10

I use either fondant mixed with tylose or a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste.
Gumpaste by itself seems to dry out too fast.
I also like to make the torso/body first and the work on the head while it hardens a bit then I can assemble and not have it slump over.
Do you add a toothpick or something to the center?
You can also PM aine2 she is always very hellpful.

something_sweet Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 10

I was doing as aine2 suggested and put a piece of spaghetti in it, but when I do, it also seems to make it slump over more. I will try using the 50/50 gp & fondant. How long does it take for these figures to harden? I want to make sure that it is in good shape to travel on Saturday. Thanks for your help!

something_sweet Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #4 of 10

anyone else have any tips? I am going to try again soon, hopefully it will turn out!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 10

I agree, try using 50/50 gumpaste to fondant. Aine2 is the best there is! She is the modeling guru! What figure are you trying to make, and how large do you want it to be? Sometimes you do have to let a piece sit awhile to let it harden a little before adding the next piece to it. If you are working on it now, it should be fine for Saturday. Sometimes it helps to use a piece of foam to hold your piece in the position you want it to be and to prevent it from slumping to one side.

CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 10

Is it standing or sitting?

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 10

when I want things to stand up for non edible figurines ill put a support in them middle, tooth pick, dowel rod, scewer. and have it come out the bottom, then once I have it shaped around it ill stab the bottom into a styrofoam block or you can use those blocks they use for floral arrangements. so that is is sitting straight up and down.

also use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gp like others have suggested.

something_sweet Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 10

It is sitting.

Thanks for the idea about having it lean against something to help hold it up! Thanks again for the help!

CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #9 of 10

I do the same, lean it up against a cake dummy or foam block until it dries.

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:12am
post #10 of 10

Alot of good tips!

I have been trying to make the sleeping baby mold by first impressions.

http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/b220baby1212x112x34.aspx

I have tried with just fondant and just gum paste. I keep getting wrinkles when i take the mold out. I have followed the directions 20 - 25 mins in the freezer.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. They are wrinkly and the detail is OK but I think should be better.
If the problem like everyone have suggested by using a 50/50 mix?

Any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%