What Types Of Containers Do You Freeze Cookies In?

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 4:45am by windycitybaker

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 12

A few weeks ago i baked a bunch of different shaped cookies (to have on hand when i need them in a pinch). I put them in freezer bags (lined like soldiers) and then put them into airtight round containers.
When i went to retrieve a few today, there were a bunch that broke (i'm assuming from the pressure or placement).

I guess i just wanted to know how all of you pack your cookies and what types, shapes, and depths of containers ya'll use.

11 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 12

Luv (if I can be so bold as to call you that) icon_wink.gif I put mine in those rubbermaid containers from Walmart, clear with red-ish lid, they are airtight and stack well. I just put parchment between layers, and put in freezer, never had any freezer burn, they are just-baked fresh when I take them out. As lont as you don't put too many and they aren't jammed against the sides, you shouldn't have breakage. I also use those to dry decorated (between flooding and detailing) so they stay fresh. I use the deep ones for storing naked cookies, and the shallow ones for drying.

luv2bake6 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:23am
post #3 of 12

shiney you could call me anything you want LOL.
Thanks for the tips. I also have the ones with the red lids (round). I did get freezer burn on the inside of the lid......weird, huh? Which is why i put them first in ziplocs. But maybe layering is the answer.
Do you pack all different shaped cookies by theme, shape, or by what's the freshest? I found it hard sifting through the containers trying to find the shapes i needed. (i combined shapes that i didn't bake a lot of or that were dwindling and didn't need 2 containers to store them)

shiney Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 12

Luv, maybe your round ones aren't airtight? The rectangle ones I use are. Yes, I learned the hard way when I bake up a lot of cookies, put themes together, I actually write with edible marker on top what is in, and what level, plus you can see through the container. Also when doing a fundraiser and decorating lots of cookies, I write with edible marker what is left to do on detailing when drying in stages (flooding, then detailing, and detailing on top of detail). That way the edible marker washes off when I clean the containers.
On the ones that you're going to keep longest, I would put in ziplock bags, single layer, flat, between parchment, and then into the airtight container, just to be sure.

luv2bake6 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you Shiney. That edible marker tip is so smart!!! I never want to write on the containers and am too lazy to search for the constant disappearing masking tape. I think it would help a lot if i'm able to smear or wash off what's written and then replace with what's left in the container.
Do you have a large freezer?
I originally got round containers because they fit better in my freezer but i recently got a larger freezer where the rectangle ones would fit nicely. I'll pick some up next time i'm in Walmart.
For longer storage, do you mean putting each cookie individually into small ziplocs and then layering them between parchment? Or take a large freezer bag and layer the cookies flat with parchement in between?

shiney Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 12

Luv, yeah, I would take one of those large ziplock freezer bags, lay the cookies in flat with parchment in between, then into the container. That's extra security for longer freezing. You know you can freeze with TG and RI on as well. Yes, I had a wonderful friend who was moving and couldn't be bothered to take her huge old chest freezer with her (I remember my granny had one back in the late '60s). It's been the best gift I've ever gotten! I buy bread on sale, cereal, cheese, flour, PS, tons of stuff, and yes, I can stack up lots of rubbermaid containers of cookies!

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #7 of 12

Mine is also a large chest freezer! It's great to be able to finally purchase those things in bulk, isn't it? You freeze flour and PS? I only freeze whole wheat flour.
I just hate bending into it to get to the bottom. At times my legs are dangling in the air while i reach in. It's quite a sight.

How many layers of cookies would you stack on top of each other without having them crack?

shiney Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:06am
post #8 of 12

luv, it depends on the shape and thickness of the cookies. three or four if you spread them out. Or use the shallower containers will hold two to three, put square thicker cookies on bottom. There was a good coupon in paper last week for those rubbermaid containers.
Yes, after buying huge bag of flour from Sams, opened it few weeks later to find it speckeled with orange and brown specks (bugs?) I keep it in freezer. I actually try to portion it out, all dry ingred., into ziploc and into freezer, then it's ready when I am. I just think that stuff stays fresher, there's plenty of room in there, so why not. It can be a challenge to get to the stuff on the bottom, and usually discover something I forgot was in there in the process. I LOVE a bargain, so getting rolls on that back sale shelf at Wal-mart and always having them on hand, gives me a cheap little thrill.

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 12

Wow, i've never found anything in my flours. I buy the 25lb bags at costco or the 5lb bags in the grocery store if they have it on sale. I guess i go through them pretty fast.
So i'm assuming i should look for shallow containers to hold the most 3 layers of stacked cookies. Ok, makes sense. I had bought the biggest ones that i could get the most cookies into...........i know, i'm lazy, but that's why i stacked them standing up soldier style so they are back to back and not on top of each other.

I know, bargains are great when you have where to put stuff. I also love that i can cook and bake in bulk to freeze as well.

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 12

Oh my gosh...I can't believe I can add some words of wisdom!! I've felt like a real "taker" around here!

When I freeze cookies, as much as possible I put all the same shape in the same ziploc freezer bag. I start with one layer, upside down so the completely flat side is up. Then I put a piece of waxed paper or parchment over them. Next I put another layer on top of those, but right side up so the flat sides are together - and I make sure I match the shapes up so there aren't any edges/legs/etc. hanging unsupported to get broken off. If the cookies are incredibly flat (as they might be with NFSC recipe), I can add a third and maybe even a fourth layer in the same way. Otherwise, I consider that bag full and start a new bag. Finally, when I'm ready to put a bag in the freezer, I turn the top edge under a couple turns...defying any air to get into the bag!

luv2bake6 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

so you just leave them in ziplocs with no containers? Do you stand up the bag in the freezer for more room or leave them all in one layer on the shelf?

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:45am
post #12 of 12

Yes, just ziplocs. I lay the bags flat so the cookies don't shift, and have probably stacked as many as 3-4 bags high on a shelf (or on top of other stuff that's in the freezer). Don't get much breakage at all, maybe because arranging them in the bag like I do gives each cookie pretty good support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%