Can I Do This?

Decorating By lecrn Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm by lecrn

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a 3-tier buttercream, square wedding cake. Part of the design on the top tier & bottom tier will be a simple vertical silver scroll.
I'm wondering if I can pipe on the buttercream cake with RI then apply silver luster dust (mixed with ETOH) after the RI dries or will it look sloppy?

Here's an example of a cake with the type of scroll work she wants. I don't know who the designer of this great cake is. I'm just using it as an example of the scroll work.

Thanks!
LL

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 5

That should work if you are very careful w/your painting.
Maybe make some kind of stencil cutting out just the scroll & covering the rest.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

I've done this before (RI scrollwork on BC, painted w/gold luster dust)...it worked fine. The RI didn't get as hard b/c of the fats in the BC, but I used a soft brush to apply and it worked great. (I don't know what ETOH is, but I used alcohol based lemon extract)

Edited to say that the cake is in my pics - white rabbit's pocket watch....

lecrn Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry. ETOH=alcohol.

lecrn Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

That should work if you are very careful w/your painting.
Maybe make some kind of stencil cutting out just the scroll & covering the rest.

That's a great idea.
I was thinking of making the stencil with my Cricut. It would probably make it easier & neater to place the stencil back over the dried RI and paint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%