Some Commercial Kitchen Advice Please (Long)

Business By kayla1505 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm by MJoycake

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:30am
post #1 of 14

I dont know where to begin, this is gonna be a long post.

so i've been looking for a commercail kitchen for a while now so i could sell cakes legally and advertise, but everything ive found has been out of my budget.

anyway, my mom does a route every afternoon and she had stop by this restaurant acouple of times and she talked to the girl that worked there.

So this week, my mom had mentioned that i made cakes and i was looking for a space and blah blah blah, and the girl was like tell her to come over and we'll talk and see if she could use the kitchen here.

So the next day I go over with my pictures and all that and a bunch of questions. and it turns out the girl is the owner, my mom had assumed she was like the manager or something.

So she tells me that she has a bunch of space and she wouldnt mind me useing it and she shows me the space ( its has a huge walk in cooler the size of my kitchen) theres another prep area that she doesnt even use and she said i could use that area.

so I ask her what she wants to charge me per hour, and she says "nothing" and I'm like "WHAT?!?"

then she says that she pays a certin amount of gas everymonth and that if she goes over that becuz of my useing the oven that i woud have to pay the differance and shes willing to show me the privious bills. and all she wants is for me to help her advertise.

for example, if I post and ad somewhere she wants me to mention her business, or if i have a flier for me to put her business on the flier, and some help with building a website.

she even said she would clear some counter space for me to put a display and samples.

I feel like this is too good to be true and i need to ask you guys for some opinons.

I'm kinda freaking out.

there are some cons though. she only has one tiny oven and no mixer, so I would have to take my kitchen aid and leave it there. But I figure that if I start to get alot of orders I could buy another oven or something.

What do you think?

13 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:46am
post #2 of 14

Get it all in writing then jump on it!!!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 14

i think this sounds like a great deal! you are getting free/next to nothing for the space in exchange for advertising for her. maybe she's not the best in marketing and needs some help in that *shrugs* it also sounds like she is pretty relaxed person also.
get it in writing! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:36am
post #4 of 14

definitely get an agreement in writing, but it looks like any good karma that you've been spreading around is coming back to reap it's rewards!

You better get that mom of yours a great Mother's Day present! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 14

Again, just get it in writing. It's a great deal and that's awesome - but you still have to make sure that you are both covered.

kayla1505 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 14

I'm gonna get everything in writing. At first I felt bad about that , like if I'm saying I dont trust her. But I'm gonna have to get over that, its for my protection as well as hers.

My head is spining, I dont really know what to do first. I'm gonna contact the department of agriculture and see what they say.

indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

I'm gonna get everything in writing. At first I felt bad about that , like if I'm saying I dont trust her.

It's not personal. It's business.

Two different things.

kayla1505 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 14

Its hard to seperate the two sometimes, I have to work on that.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 14

Kayla1505 - it is business...my family runs a family business and we even write contracts between ourselves for business changes/agreements, just so everyone is sure to be on the same page. Sounds like a great deal for you - best of luck!

indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

Kayla1505 - it is business...my family runs a family business and we even write contracts between ourselves for business changes/agreements, just so everyone is sure to be on the same page. Sounds like a great deal for you - best of luck!

omg, I worked for a family owned company and they divided themselves into 7 different companies with leases, contracts and all kinds of legal stuff between the companies! icon_eek.gif That's the job where I mastered working with 7 different hats on at the same time! icon_surprised.gif

kayla1505 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 14

I spoke with the department of agriculture and they are gonna cantact me to set up an appt. for an inspection. I'm so nervous and excited.

For those of you with businesses, what should I be doing next? I dont have that much business experiance, and I'm not sure what to do next.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Get it all in writing then jump on it!!!!

What She Said... icon_biggrin.gif

kayla1505 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 14

I'm gonna pass by and see the owner today and talk about getting everything in writing. if she doesnt go for it , than thats a red flag right ?

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 14

absolutely....she should want it in writing as much as you should.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%