My Layers Are Frozen And Almost Time To Ice-More ?'s Pls

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm by suedepp

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:27am
post #1 of 4

Please induldge me in another frozen cake timeline question. I have read and read, watched video after video, and searched and either I can't find the right answer or I've read so many and so much I am confusing myself and mixing up cake instructions for different scenarios. Well here goes....(I started not to even post this I know ya'll hate redundant questions but I just can't wrap my brain around this timeline/freeze/don't freeze/don't touch/chill/wrap or unwrap stuff)

The cake is for thanksgiving for my family.

-I was thinking of taking the cake layers out of the freezer for about 2 hours then trimming them, then filling and crumb coating. Do I have to leave the layers wrapped as they come to room temp? How can I do this?

-Then that after the trimming and crumb coating to set it in the fridge to harden for 15 mins or so? Then out of the fridge to frost and put on fondant? But if it's still slightly frozen in the middle will this hurt or should I let it come to room temp? Will it sweat?

I have never ever frozen a cake before so I am confused. I do know I have read once it's frosted it's should be fine until the next day, and don't refridgerate it.

Pls help me with some clarity in my bumfuzzled brain!

Thanks for your patience with my questions!!!

PS: Did you notice I titled my post with as much info as I could so it wouldn't just say "help me with this..." or "What do you think"...see I have read these boards!!!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:21am
post #2 of 4

Luv'd your closing line, young grasshopper! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yes, leave the cakes wrapped in the saran as they thaw. This helps hold the moisture in. Here's a good comparison: Imagine how dry your bread would be if you took the loaf of bread out of the freezer and then took the slices out of the wrapper. As they thawed, they'd be exposed to the air and they'd dry out faster.

When I take my cakes out of the freezer, I usually can start working with them within just a few minutes (not 2 hours). Cakes thaw really fast (REALLY!). HOwever, when I do this, I like to crumb coat then let them sit overnight or most of the day (crumb coat in the a.m. ..... ice in the LATE afternoon) to give the cake time to totally thaw and for the icing to crust a bit. A cold/frozen cake can prevent (my) icing from crusting as fast as it usually does.

I'm not worked with fondant for very long, so I will step aside on that question and let the fondant experts come in and help you with how a cold/frozen cake affects fondant.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Luv'd your closing line, young grasshopper! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yes, leave the cakes wrapped in the saran as they thaw. This helps hold the moisture in. Here's a good comparison: Imagine how dry your bread would be if you took the loaf of bread out of the freezer and then took the slices out of the wrapper. As they thawed, they'd be exposed to the air and they'd dry out faster.

When I take my cakes out of the freezer, I usually can start working with them within just a few minutes (not 2 hours). Cakes thaw really fast (REALLY!). HOwever, when I do this, I like to crumb coat then let them sit overnight or most of the day (crumb coat in the a.m. ..... ice in the LATE afternoon) to give the cake time to totally thaw and for the icing to crust a bit. A cold/frozen cake can prevent (my) icing from crusting as fast as it usually does.

I'm not worked with fondant for very long, so I will step aside on that question and let the fondant experts come in and help you with how a cold/frozen cake affects fondant.

Thank you so much! That's exactly how I'll do it. I had no idea they defrosted so quickly.

Indydebi I used your buttercreme (my first experience with any BC) and I loved it, it was easy and it worked perfectly.

I'd love to see some videos from you...hint hint..

Grasshopper thumbs_up.gif

suedepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suedepp Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 4

Expanding a bit on the freezing and defrosting the cakes, I am going to (try to!) shape a martini glass out of a frozen 9 x 13 cake. What I'm wondering is, can the cake be refrozen again after it is done? (figuring the shaped martini glass will thaw as I frost it and then decorate it).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%