Torting Question

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 2:06am by tanyascakes

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 6

I can't seem to get my torte icing the right thickness. Either there's too much, or too little.

I've seen cakes on TV where the torte icing is so thin, you can barely see i - and others where it's so thick, it looks like another cake layer.

What's a good thickness?

5 replies
dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 6

I know what you mean - I had the same issue. Until I had the top of a cake start to slide off while my table was tilted to do a basketweave. Now I subscribe to the thinner is better theory. I've started making the flavors more intense to ensure it's not lost. Homemade lemon curd tastes amazing and a little goes a long way. I haven't had a problem with a "loose" top layer since. thumbs_up.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 6

I have found tha t lately my customers like a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness when I torte. They love the look and "feel" of the levels of cake and filling. HTH! I am sure you will get alot of ansers on this one!

OOPs, I thought you meant cake layers! But for icing I use a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. More to the 1/4 inch bit when it is the adults mostly. They generally like more cake to icing than the kids do! Sorry about my earlier answer!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 6

1/4" is sufficient, never fill w/ more than 1/2".

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your input, ladies. It's so hard, because one client will say it's too thick, then the next one, it's too thin. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tanya - Were you a child bride? You don't look old enough to have a 20 yr old?? thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilbern

I know what you mean - I had the same issue. Until I had the top of a cake start to slide off while my table was tilted to do a basketweave. Now I subscribe to the thinner is better theory. I've started making the flavors more intense to ensure it's not lost. Homemade lemon curd tastes amazing and a little goes a long way. I haven't had a problem with a "loose" top layer since. thumbs_up.gif

I've not heard one good thing about those tilting turntables. Many have returned them or just put them away in a dark corner. I have the regular Wilton and the higher grade Wilton (metal turntable and ceramic bottom). Both of those work great for me. When I did my basketweave for my classes, I just put the turntable on a couple of big books, so it raised it just enough to eye level.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 6

Tanya - Were you a child bride? You don't look old enough to have a 20 yr old?? thumbs_up.gif

Hahahha! Not a child bride, but an early starter! She will be 21 in July!!! Sorry about my mixed up answer yesterday! And thanks for the youthful compliment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%