Is It Illegal To...

Decorating By ibteana Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 1:42am by cylstrial

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 9

ask a pie question on a cake forum? I am needing to make pies for Thanksgiving. I plan on making the "Dang Good Pie". A custard pie with pineapple and coconut. Do you think I could put some of the roll out pie crusts in a casserole pan and make a big pie or would it be a disaster? I do not want to have my oven tied up baking 6 pies when one great big one would do. I dont care if it turns out messy like a cobbler my family wont mind but will it work? Thanks for your suggestions!

8 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 9

Someone has started a whole big long thread dedicated to pie. Look for that one!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 9

You are under arrest for pastry infringement! icon_wink.gif

As long as you don't care what it looks like, that should work fine.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 9

I would not do that, but you can make shortbread crust and bake pie filling on top of that and then when it cools you can cut it into bars. Pie crust really doesn't cook well in bulk like that

costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 9

But for a custard pie you'd pre-bake it anyway, so it should be okay, I'd think...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 9

I was just at a wedding where a half sheet of blueberry pie was the groom's cake--lattice top--it was awesome looking!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 9

I've never done it w/ a custard based but have made various recipes where the dough goes into a casserole pan. I'll let you know (and you can do it or not) I use Pillsbury rolled dough (2 in a pkg in fridge section) and roll it thinner than it comes. I would roll it out & cut into a rectangle. Do w/ a 2nd dough and seam them together in the pan w/a little water then bake. That being said, I'm just a hobby pie baker

costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I've never done it w/ a custard based but have made various recipes where the dough goes into a casserole pan. I'll let you know (and you can do it or not) I use Pillsbury rolled dough (2 in a pkg in fridge section) and roll it thinner than it comes. I would roll it out & cut into a rectangle. Do w/ a 2nd dough and seam them together in the pan w/a little water then bake. That being said, I'm just a hobby pie baker

Hey, don't apologize, I'll bet a hobby pie still tastes good!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

You are under arrest for pastry infringement! icon_wink.gif

LOL! Good one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%