I Met The Stupidest People Ever Tonight (Rant)

Decorating By Ruth0209 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 7:30am by Ruth0209

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #31 of 57

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and some adults and kids were sticking their fingers in and licking the icing. They're reasoning was the groom had done that to their cakes when he was a little boy and they were just paying him back. I have seen this before unfortunately.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #32 of 57

Where do they come from, all these uncouth people?

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #33 of 57

that's the most stupid thing i've heard in a very long time.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #34 of 57

I am really sorry this happened to you, but thank you for sharing your rant. I will definitely put some guards in place when set up at big events. As far as these disgusting people go...Heavy sigh... you can't fix stupid!!

As far as the Dr's wife goes, I likely would have let everyone in the room know what she did, nice a loud and then after she paid her measly $35 accidently drop it on the floor. icon_evil.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACakes

I am really sorry this happened to you, but thank you for sharing your rant. I will definitely put some guards in place when set up at big events. As far as these disgusting people go...Heavy sigh... you can't fix stupid!!

As far as the Dr's wife goes, I likely would have let everyone in the room know what she did, nice a loud and then after she paid her measly $35 accidently drop it on the floor. icon_evil.gif

Oh, I like that idea. Oops, sorry. No, you don't get your crappy $35 back. It's for charity, remember? And we've all just seen by your actions what a charitable woman you are! icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsplinters

I ve had it happen to, i was delivering a wedding cake put it down on the brides table turned away to get my kit to fix a couple of dots that fell off and turned around and the staff at the place had they hands on it trying to fix the dots, i said Do touch that cake i have stuff to fix it , you do not have gloves on to even think about touch it. "They were just sweeping the floors" and decided to come over and touch the cake . They they said and who are you , apparently they thought i was just the "delivery girl", I said Hi im the the owner. The photographer came over laughing , the photographer told me later that wk that they couldnt believe i got onto them for touching the cake. Hello they were cleaning the room and sweeping the floor they didnt wash their hands or even have gloves on.

Even if they DID wash their hands, still no reason to ever touch a cake that's not yours.

I'm always telling my kids "If its NOT yours, DONT touch it!!!!"

I suppose though that people who will let their kids touch a stranger's newborn baby (a pet peeve of mine) will let them touch cake too!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACakes

Thanks for making me laugh - I was really becoming irritated just reading all these stories. I would have publicly announced to the doctor's wife, "As ........................... has just made this a one horse race, she has agreed to pay $350 towards our fund raising tonight, lets give her a hand!" (Start clapping loudly and get everyone to follow.) Let's see your red ass face back out of that one lady!

Awesome cake Ruth!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:30am
post #38 of 57

First, OP, you did a wonderful job. Unfortunately, people are idjits. You'd think after Ace of Cakes, KakeBoss, Cake Challenge and numerous other caking shows, they'd realize that cakes are no longer 9X13 slabs from Wallyworld.

I go to a fundraising event for my DH's work every year (he works with mentally handicapped adults). They always have a silent auction ... BUT every item has a minimum bid, for this very reason. So it doesn't go for far less than it's worth. Sure, you bid in the hopes of getting something nice for less than the actual amount (we got a B&B voucher for$75, worth $100), but that Drs wife needs a swift kick in the backside. I like the idea of dropping it after she 'won' ... better yet, 'accidentally' trip and drop it down her front. After she's handed over the money, of course. icon_wink.gif

TwistedSplinters: My 8 yr. old daughter loves babies. Whenever she spots one, she immediately goes over to see. I've taught her to never, ever kiss or touch a baby, just blow kisses from a few feet away. I tell her that it's because she doesn't know if the baby's got a cold, and she doesn't want the make the baby sick either. I've had more than one parent actually say "thank you" when she does this. Too many people take liberties.

Starkie: Like Bill Engvall says: Here's your sign.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #39 of 57

Ooooh Jan... I love that!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:37am
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I suppose though that people who will let their kids touch a stranger's newborn baby (a pet peeve of mine) will let them touch cake too!

OMG, SUCH a pet peeve of mine, I have a newborn and am just AMAZED at the mom's who will let their toddlers poke at him in the stroller, then look at ME like I'm rude when I pull my baby out of the way and nicely say, "oops, don't touch". Arrgh, touching my cake gets me angry, touching my baby makes me feel violent (towards the parent, not the kid).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

OMG, SUCH a pet peeve of mine, I have a newborn and am just AMAZED at the mom's who will let their toddlers poke at him in the stroller, then look at ME like I'm rude when I pull my baby out of the way and nicely say, "oops, don't touch". Arrgh, touching my cake gets me angry, touching my baby makes me feel violent (towards the parent, not the kid).

I know LOL...they are like "Ohhh junior, look at the BAYYY bEEEE" and I'm thinking "Um no, please don't." haha

I have four boys and the last still in the tail end of diapers but after that...done! icon_smile.gif

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

TwistedSplinters: My 8 yr. old daughter loves babies. Whenever she spots one, she immediately goes over to see. I've taught her to never, ever kiss or touch a baby, just blow kisses from a few feet away. I tell her that it's because she doesn't know if the baby's got a cold, and she doesn't want the make the baby sick either. I've had more than one parent actually say "thank you" when she does this. Too many people take liberties.

umm, my post pertained to a wedding cake delivery, nothing about babies in my post ??

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:12am
post #43 of 57

I have always told my children "look with your eyes, not your hands". I think that would be a good sign for cakes on display.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #44 of 57

I just wanted to say that your cake is amazing!

Lomikesa

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #45 of 57

I vote you have a guard stand there with a ruler. Each fool that tries to touch gets smacked. Bet they'd get the hint REALLY fast.

But then I am evil like that.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:58am
post #46 of 57

Yea, as already stated...you just can't change stupid.
I will NEVER understand why people touch food that has to be eaten by others such as this.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:05am
post #47 of 57

[quote="KitagrlI have four boys and the last still in the tail end of diapers but after that...done! icon_smile.gif[/quote]

I have 4 boys as well, two in diapers; youngest is 2 months old. But I make sure none of my kids touch anyone else's baby or cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #48 of 57

Try doing a demo in a craft store. I can't tell you how many people reach out to pick up the gumpaste flowers and such before I can tell them not to touch. And adults are the worse! I once had a lady drag her finger though the icing on the top of my cake (I was away from the table still gathering things to set up) cause she didn't think it was real.

Believe me I have so wanted to have a hands off sign many of times. But I know it'd be a waste of time since they wouldn't stop to read it before touching.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #49 of 57

Not defending cake touchers at all, but I *DO* understand.

I did the catering for CakeRN's daughter's wedding. She did the 5 tier wedding cake AND a great beer bucket groom's cake (and transported it about 100 miles to the reception, too!)

She had a sign in front the of beer bucket cake of "Yes, it's a cake!" There was a constant crowd of people around it before and after the wedding.

When she got it set up, I walked over to look at it. It was an incredible cake! My hand was halfway to the cake when I caught myself and jerked my hand back, laughing about "omg! I was almost one of those touchy people!"

I do cakes for a living. She had a sign in front of it. None of it stopped me from ALMOST touching the cake.

I think it's a chromosome in us that makes us want to touch beautiful things. Which is why museaums have lots of signs that say "DON'T TOUCH!" icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #50 of 57

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Debi
It must be the same chromosome that makes us want to smack said stupid people.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #51 of 57

I must link my hands behind my back to keep myself from not touching.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #52 of 57

I don't think it right either, and I would be upset if they did that to one of my cakes. I can understand in a way. The cakes now days are so involved, almost like a craft profect. Fondant figures, gumpaste flowers that are so life life, it makes you want to touch.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:02pm
post #53 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

umm, my post pertained to a wedding cake delivery, nothing about babies in my post ??

My bad! That was meant for Kitagrl. Shouldn't respond at such a late hour, I guess.

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #54 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My bad! That was meant for Kitagrl. Shouldn't respond at such a late hour, I guess.

no problem icon_wink.gif

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #55 of 57

I have the same probs over here with people who can't seem to keep their hands to themselves.
Whenever I get a cake finished and here comes DH to look at the cake, I have to "quickly" tell him "Don't Touch It!". Otherwise, he will touch it. I hate that!
One time I had done some roses with fondant, I went to show him the roses, and sure enough, he put his fingers into the roses and they looked crummy after that. He said, he thought they were fake flowers.

Then I had done a cake a long time ago for a silent auction, and I saw this lady after she touched and poked the cake, then she sneezed. I had to go and throw the entire thing out and when I was asked why did I throw the cake out, I told them to go ask the lady who sneezed on it.

Little signs don't work, people still touch and poke..

gabitusm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabitusm Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #56 of 57

Not all of us are rude persons (dr's wives) icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:30am
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabitusm

Not all of us are rude persons (dr's wives) icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I'm sure you've met some who are, so you know what people are saying. Hopefully, you didn't take those comments personally.

I think with any identifiable group, the bad eggs stand out so it seems like there are more of them than there really are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%