Epitome Of Tacky

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 12:53pm by sherrycanary62

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 36

What I consider my most outrageous request (besides someone wanting a grad cake in exchange for a puppy)...

A bride called and asked if I did doughnuts, They wanted those for their wedding figuring it would be cheaper icon_confused.gif

I don't do doughnuts icon_twisted.gif

What's your most outrageous?

35 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 36

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I've never done a wedding cake but never attended a wedding where they served doughnuts either!...wow, why would someone wanna do that?? I'd rather serve a Wal Mart cake, aagghhh but just the thought of that grossed me out!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 36

I've seen them...not up close and personal...I'm thinking either dunkin' donuts or Krispy Kreme (or both) offers them...or maybe it was an individual who did them using others' doughnuts.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aisledash.com/media/2007/12/52182272powdered.jpg

I don't find them any tackier than a cream puff tower or croquembouche...and I don't find them tacky either. Nor the rkt wedding cakes...those can be quite pretty...

http://www.chocolatefonduefountains.com/chocolate-chat/media/cream-puff-cake.jpg

How they're decorated is a different story altogether!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 36

You wouldn't have to bake, just stack and throw some flowers on it. It's actually a cute way to serve breakfast for a crowd, but a wedding....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

You wouldn't have to bake, just stack and throw some flowers on it. It's actually a cute way to serve breakfast for a crowd, but a wedding....

I'm with you! The first picture was cute...but definitely not for a wedding.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 36

Come on, folks. First of all, the definition of tacky is "in poor taste". Donuts may be cheap, casual, or unsophisticated, but they're not in poor taste.

This poor bride probably doesn't have much of a budget and is just trying to be creative. Don't be so hard of people who are trying to be responsible spenders.

I wouldn't want donuts for my wedding cake, but to each his own. I think the white donut cake is pretty creative.

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 36

If I could have Krispy Kreme chocolate iced, cream filled doughnuts as a wedding cake(and they'd be fressssssssssh), I'd definitely consider it! Not for cost sake but for taste sake...I could almost eat my weight in those!

What about doughnut holes? They look a whole lot like croquembouche or cake truffles/cake balls...

I don't see any difference in someone wanting a doughnut wedding cake and the person wanting a cheesecake wedding cake or chocolate chip cookie wedding cake....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002084972_wedcake08m.html mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 36

heck... bring on the krispy kreme's! YUM! There are some really creative people out there who could make a tower of donuts look amazing. I've seen some amazing croquembouches.

I hadn't bought any donuts from KK in a long time and bought a dozen last weekend, they were a lot more expensive than I remember. It would be less expensive than a traditional wedding cake though.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 36

I'm sorry...I forgot to say they were having their wedding at an elite country club.

The doughnuts would have been just plain lying on trays.

Seems tacky to me considering the venue

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 36

hmmm... if you can afford an "elite country club" then you should be able to afford a simple wedding cake.

I'm so glad I didn't go through all the hoopla of a wedding. We eloped and the next weekend my MIL had a small reception for us. My husband's cousin made our cake as a gift which was a surprise to me. I would have been happy with a plain poundcake since it was such a small reception.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 36

I like doughnuts , like really really like doughnuts, so I would love an invite to that wedding!
Tell them I have a blender with their name all over it if they'll just send an invite my way icon_lol.gif

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 36

I don't find it tacky at all - to each is own. Myself, I LOVE doughnuts so that would be fine by me. Personally, I find it tackier that you're so offended by the suggestion.

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

I like doughnuts , like really really like doughnuts, so I would love an invite to that wedding!
Tell them I have a blender with their name all over it if they'll just send an invite my way icon_lol.gif

LOL!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 36

If she wants donuts because she wants donuts, then she'll have to go elsewhere. But, if she wanted the donuts because of the pricepoint, is there something else you could offer her that would fit the budget she has in mind? I'd bet there could be all kinds of creative things that could be a time saver, money saver and still maybe work for her.

I just like the idea of trying to work those creative juices to come up an idea that would work.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 36

Doughnuts for a causal, very casual, or morning wedding fine. Doughnuts for a evening reception at a Country Club, tacky. When people do soemthing like this it ends to be for the being different factor, then cost factor. Country Club receptions are NOT cheap, so I don't think the request was to save money.

Ruth0209 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 36

Maybe she spent all her money on the country club... Maybe she doesn't like cake... Maybe she'd rather spend it on dinner and a DJ. There are a hundred choices people have to make on where to spend their money for weddings. The person writing the check gets to decide.

Serving donuts at a country club wedding seems incongruous with the rest of the theme to me, too, but my point is that just because you or I think so doesn't make it so for her. And let's be honest. Our views about cakes and weddings are biased because we LOVE cakes! We all think everyone needs a cake, especially those of us who earn a living doing it!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #17 of 36

That may be true...I do love cake.

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #18 of 36

No tackier than this....

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/weddings/2004Q2/a100813_sum04_angelfood_xl.jpg

They're just lying on trays(looking like doughnuts in disguise)

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 36

Maybe the bride and groom met in a donut shop... or maybe they share a fond memory of a donut date...or maybe they eat donuts for breakfast...or maybe they just LOVE donuts. Tacky isn't in the food, it's in the presentation. Donuts in cardboard boxes at a wedding?

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 36

I think the first image is a pictures of bundt cakes. i have the magazine they're in.

Ruth0209 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #22 of 36
Quote:

Is that a Rice Krispy Treat cake? Now that's just hilarious!

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #23 of 36

OH, is that what that was! Yeah, I'm sorry, but not only was that tacky, it's ugly!

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #24 of 36

angel food cakes, bundt cakes, doughnuts...all the same if they're lying on trays....all in the decorations added to 'em

rkt cake ain't any uglier that a cheesecake cake or one of those with those those long slender tubular cookies stuck on 'em or the ladyfingers stuck on 'em or that one on the MS website that has no icing('cept some kinda mango-jelled-lookin' stuff on the top..."ribbons of color" or something like that) ...they ain't ugly either...now, a pile of peel and eat rice krispy treat pouches would be UGLY....

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #25 of 36

Actually the cheesecake wedding cakes I have seen, you wouldn't know they were cheesecake until cut. they were nice and looked like a regular stacked wedding cake.

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #26 of 36

I've seen them both, iced and exposed crust...I was referring to the ones that choose to leave the crust exposed....

a great big HIGH FIVE! to those that choose to make their wedding reception THEIR WEDDING RECEPTION and not what everyone else thinks a wedding reception should be(unless, of course, that is how they wish it to be as well).

My personal dislike(and all of them are NOT include...there are exceptions), are the ones with the white plastic pillars as separators...and that plastic separator plated structure with the center locknut thing going on....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #27 of 36
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #28 of 36

OK..now I'm craving Krispy Kreme's icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Here ya go, all4cake! http://www.clevelandseniors.com/images/funny/redneckcake.jpg Eat up!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks! not only did it have those freakin' pillars, they looked like they're glued to cardboard circles!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%