Can I Freeze A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By Tiffany29 Updated 20 Aug 2013 , 4:46am by whiteangel

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 20

Hi all!
My son's b-day party is today and he is running a fever, so I am rescheduling th party for next saturday.

I put a lot of time into the cake and really don't want to make another one. It is all covered in fondant with fondant accents.
Can I freeze it until next week and if so what is the proper way to do it?

Thanks ~ Tiffany

19 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 20

I've read both yes and no. I've never tried it myself, but if I were going to try I think I would put it in a cake box if possible. Wrap the box in plastic wrap. This should prevent any damage to the decorations. I would think it would be ok for a week. I would take it out of the freezer the day before (early) this way if there is a problem, you still have time to avoid a cake disaster. Remove plastic wrap to avoid any condensation building up inside the box. Thaw it slowly in the frig if possible. Then the morning of the party remove from the box. If condensation does develop, don't touch it. Place cake in front of a fan on low to assist in the drying.

Tiffany29 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks cabe, I didn't get a notified of your response.
I wasn't sure if I should or should'nt. I know some people refrigerate fondant cakes and what to do then. I just wasn't sure if I could freeze it without any issues. I was afraid the fondant may crack. I don't have a box, not sure if I can get one big enough.

I guess all I can do is try it then I'll know!

Thanks again for the help! If anyone else has any suggestions Please let me know!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 20

I would refrigerate, but not freeze. I have had bad experiences freezing and it's not recommended. I have refrigerated and found the cake is fine (I didn't experience the 'sweating' as others have), as long as you let it sit out for a few hours to 'dry', as the refrigeration will cause condensation to build a bit.

Tiffany29 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:11am
post #5 of 20

Will it last for another week in the fridge? If so that is great!
It doesn't have any filling just bc.
Thanks again
~tiffany

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #6 of 20

DEFINITELY you can freeze a fondant cake...I do it ALL THE TIME! Put the cake in a cake box, then tie 3 separate garbage bags around it and tie a knot, letting out the air each time. Freeze. The day before you need it, remove the box IN ITS WRAPPINGS and leave on the counter to come to room temperature slowly. Keeping the wrappings on will keep the condensation from forming which is the enemy of fondant. Good luck and hope your son feels better.

Tiffany29 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:14am
post #7 of 20

Thanks chanielisalevy! he went to the dr earlier and they said it's a viral infection and that we just need to keep giving him motrin and fluids.

I was kinda bummed for him because he was so looking forward to the party and I spent hrs. on this cake he wanted and was worried i'd have to start over! I wanted to save it if I could.
Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 20

You'll have to let us all know how it turns out, so we will all know. Let us know how you do it, since it may be too big too fit in a box. Hope your son gets to feeling better soon, and you can call me Jackie.

Tiffany29 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:19am
post #9 of 20

I will let you know how it goes. It should fit in a box. I need to find one big enough. I cut a piece of foam core in half and it's an odd size. 15 x 20. The cake is a 3-d tow truck. I need to get one deep enough I should say. Because the cab part and roll bars are higher than the rest of the cake!
I'll check my cake store in the morning! icon_smile.gif Thanks !

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:48am
post #10 of 20

If it doesn't fit in a box, don't worry! Just do the 3 bags, letting out as much air as you can without damaging the pieces. I have done it dozens of times that way and never a problem. Good luck and happy birthday!

Tiffany29 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 20

I'll check the cake store when it opens. If they don't have a box I'll try the trash bags.
Thanks again for all the help cake friends!

Tiffany29 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 20

Ok, I found a box and I wrapped it really tight. It has been pretty cold here so I put it out in my garage on top of my deep freezer (it smelled kinda funny so I didn't want to put it inside.) I brought it in earlier this morning and it seems fine. I'll let you know how it tasted later!

Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 20

So, how did it work out??? I will find out how mine did on Tues. I froze it for 2 weeks. I wrapped it well in plastic wrap, but put it in a large tupperware container for protection. I don't trust it not getting damaged by people in this house digging in the freezer! icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 20

It turned out great, I boxed it and wrapped it really, really well in plastic wrap and put it out in my garage on top of the deep freezer. It has been really cold here. (it was getting in the 30's at night.) It's colder now!

It stayed chilled and tasted really fresh.
Hope you have good results too cakerocks, let us know how it goes!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 20

Glad to hear it turned out! icon_smile.gif Hope your little fella's feeling great again - I have little ones too, so I know how tough it is when they are sick. It's especially scary now with H1N1

KristinaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinaN Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 6:41pm
post #17 of 20

AThank you everyone for posting about this. I have a cake order in September for a design I have been dying to do, but of course it is for a weekend I am away at a wedding. The client asked if I could make it ahead and either freeze or refrigerate it. I know I will need to make it a full week before it is due. I think I will do a test run just to be sure.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 20

Please read what blakescakes has to say about this subject. great info!!!

http://cakecentral.com/t/747425/how-to-freeze-already-decorated-cake-and-then-thaw

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:33pm
post #19 of 20

I have never tried freezing cakes, but I might do a couple of practise ones just in case I need to do it for real in the future!

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 4:46am
post #20 of 20

This will really help me on cake making.  I am slow and a perfectionist so being able to freeze each tier after they are done and not worry about  them spoiling as I slow poke my way thru the next cake is going to make a world of difference. 

About black trash bags, or any bags that are used for trash - poison!  Some even have rat poison mixed into the plastic itself and not just sprayed on.  If you use, never let it touch any food. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%