Can I Freeze A Decorated Cake?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm by cakefort

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 6

That about sums up my question icon_smile.gif . I am making a cake and we will be gone for a week. Will it keep in the freezer?

5 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 6

Just a plain ole buttercream iced cake? Shouldn't be a probably wrapped properly. Fondant covered MAY be a different story. I'll leave that to the fondant pros. Good luck!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 6

I did it with a bc cake. Put in cake box, wrap tightly with plastic and froze for 2 weeks. Let it thaw on countertop still wrapped and it was perfect. Couldn't even taste that it had been frozen.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 6

I have also done this in the past....

Actually, at present, I have a Spiderman sheet cake and 2doz cupcakes in my freezer back home, waiting for delivery next week.
I am at present in Ireland on holiday and the customer was desperate for someone to bake her a birthday cake for her 3yr old.
Explained to her that this was the only way she could get it done and she was quite happy.

I have not had any bad reports about cakes that I have left in the deepfreeze all ready decorated.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 6

I was just about to post a question about this! Anyway, I just froze a BC decorated cake. I froze it for a few hours, then wrapped it and took the wrap off before thawing.

I have never had any issues when I've done this in the past, but for some reason this time, it seemed to change the BC taste, color, consistency... It was a mountain cake and the perfect color combo bled and ran as it thawed and the black/grey turned purple-ish color. I managed to get it back to a respectable hue, but the perfect color combo I had created is gone....

Any ideas why ?icon_smile.gif

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%