Please Help!!! Don't Know What To Do?

Decorating By halleyec Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 11:31am by halleyec

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 9

Doing a two tiered square wedding cake which is to be picked up tomorrow(for a 2 hour car trip) the cake will then be used later in the week!

Where do i start - The bottom tier broke into pieces when transfering to the covered cake board (i am baking a new one as i speak)

The top tier that i covered earlier (white chocolate cake covered in white choc ganache and then rolled fondant) is now bulging at the sides!

I have never had this trouble before but it so hot here at the moment

What can i do??

I am going to use heaps of dowling supports in the bottom tier but I am really scared that the whole cake might collapse during transport

I feel so sick!!! Please help

8 replies
totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 9

I have no idea... but I feel for you.. I am too new at caking to give you good cake advice but I have this... breathe.... it is cake... you are baking and starting over... relax and know that some crazy lady is wishing you peace and easy caking!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:59am
post #3 of 9

DO NOT use "heaps of dowels" for support on the bottom tier. I read a post here where someone did just that, and the bottom tier broke apart because there were TOO MANY dowels in it. You don't say how large your tiers are, but I just put together a stacked square cake (all single layers): 14", 12", 10", 8", and 2-6". I have 5 straws (one near each corner and one in the middle) between the 12" and 10", and 4 straws between the 8" and 6". Then I sharpened a wooden dowel and ran it all the way through from top to bottom. I don't have any concerns that this cake will hold up, and I'm delivering it on Tuesday.

I've never used rolled fondant (always use MMF), but since there is ganache underneth it, could the cake need to be in the fridge to keep the ganache from melting? Otherwise, maybe you could smooth the fondant down the sides again, rubbing out the bulge, and cut the excess from the bottom? It'd hard to suggest a fix when I don't see what's happened. I hope this works out for you! Good luck!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 9

Get your top tier on the fridge right now, you say it's very hot and chocolate and heat dont mix, try to get it chilled ASAP, good luck honey!

halleyec Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:12am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for your advice.

The bottom tier is 11" square and the top tier is 7" square. The top is to be set on the angle (so it looks diamond shape).
So should i do 5 dowels
I hadn't put it in the fridge as i didn't think fondant could go in the fridge. I use pettinence RTR icing - Will this be ok?

miny Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:34am
post #6 of 9

Yes, (if it's not Wilton, this one can NOT be refridgerated) as long as you let it come to room temperature without touching it it should be ok, the problem is when the condensation is happening and you touch it, and about the dowels, yes I defenitely use 5, that way you support the center too, relax Hun it'll be ok!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:41am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Yes, (if it's not Wilton, this one can NOT be refridgerated) as long as you let it come to room temperature without touching it it should be ok, the problem is when the condensation is happening and you touch it, and about the dowels, yes I defenitely use 5, that way you support the center too, relax Hun it'll be ok!

I've never heard that you cannot put Wilton fondant in the fridge. Why not? I would assume that fondant is fondant is fondant. It's all basically made the same way, isn't it? I haven't done many totally fondant covered cakes, and the fondant I usually use is called Virgin Ice (from Bulk Barn in Canada).

I've had a client freeze her cake that I had covered in fondant, and when it thawed it was fine. I told her not to touch it, just let it come to room temp on its own, which she did.

miny Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:59am
post #8 of 9

Well, Wilton will get really soggy and sometimes the color bleeds, plus I personally don't like the taste to use in decorations over a cake, never the less to cover a whole cake. I love it for 3D figurines though.

halleyec Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:31am
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for all your help.
Approached the cake with a new breath and ended up recovering the top tier as it started to crack from the bulging.

Thought i would try to attach a pic on the final product.

1st try at scroll type work, not perfect but will keep practicing

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%