Anyone Own The Chocolate Pro Electric Chocolate Melter?

Decorating By metria Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm by millermom

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 7

Chocolate Pro Electric Chocolate Melter

Is it worth $32? Or should I invest in a double boiler? I'm looking for something good to coat cake balls.

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

Is this the Wilton one? If so I have three of them and do liek it buyt I bought it with coupons. I don't know that I'd pay $32 for it.

You can also use a crockpot, as long as it has setting options. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 7

I love mine and use it every time I make icing. Usually about 12 ounces at a time.

It never burns and is easy to clean. I can turn it on and don't have to worry about babysitting the chocolate.

I got mine when I was an instructor so it was super cheap.... but try to use a 50% off coupon!!!

You can't use a huge amount of chocolate at one time, so if you are looking to do things in volume....it may not be worth.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 7

I have two of them that I use when I teach and that's the only time I use them. My rule for Michaels shopping is anything over $10 gets the 40% off coupon and anything over $15 gets the 50% off coupon. But beware, only use the "warm" temp -- I burnt a pound of white chocolate the other night on the "melt" temp. icon_confused.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 7

If you're planning to use it for real chocolate, you need to temper the chocolate (melt it to a very specific temperature depending on the type of chocolate). If the melter has fine temperature settings, then it might be a great idea---from what I see, it doesn't.

If you're using candy melts, it looks like it could be a nice product--especially when bought with a coupon.

I use my microwave for both real chocolate and candy melts. The key is to use 50% power or less, stir between heating sessions, and to never overheat it. I like it better than a double boiler because there's no water vapor that can cause even candy melts to seize.

Rae

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all! Yes, this is what's on Wilton's site:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=10DE1EF7-423B-522D-FAC5724016D0DA09&fid=10DE1F35-423B-522D-FDACBFD54749F332

I'll do have a small crock pot, but it's a little cumbersome and I usually end up with a mess. I'll dig up a coupon if I buy one this weekend!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 7

I have it and love it too, but I'm with bobwonderbuns--NEVER pay full price for anything at JoAnn's or Michael's! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%