Scratch Cake Recipe For Just One 6"?

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make one more tier, but I don't want to use a whole box of mix (or split one up).

Anyone have the measurements to make just enough batter for a 6" tin to bake to 3" high?

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

Here is one that I have used a few times.

6oz butter
6oz caster sugar
6oz eggs
6oz self raising flour
1 1/2 tablespoons water ( You can use 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon water)

HTH. icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, bashini! But, what is caster sugar? Also, I don't have a scale, is it ok to measure all of those with a regular liquid measuring cup? And, is regular flour ok?

icon_redface.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 7

Caster sugar is much finer sugar than granulated sugar. I don't know whether you can get it there. And I don't think it will work if you measure it with a liquid measring cup. But you can convert oz into grams and cups using this chart.

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

If you are using regular flour, then you might have to add 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of baking powder. I must say that I haven't used regular flour for this recipe.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 7

lrlt2000, from checking the internet, caster sugar is the same as superfine sugar in the states. Last time I made an angel food cake with superfine sugar, I couldn't find any, so I put regular sugar in the food processer and made my own, worked very well and the angel food cake was wonderful.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I have to make one more tier, but I don't want to use a whole box of mix (or split one up).

Anyone have the measurements to make just enough batter for a 6" tin to bake to 3" high?

Here's mine...it is 1/2 my regular recipe.....this will make two 6 inch layers, so if you are using a 3" deep pan, you might have just a bit of extra batter.

Vanilla Cake

2 large eggs, at room temp
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 325F.

Prepare pans.

In a small saucepan, combine milk and butter over low heat just til butter melts. Cool to room temp [to do so quickly, sit the pan in a bowl of cold water].

Combine sugar and eggs in a small mixing bowl and mix on high 5 minutes.

Stir baking powder into flour thoroughly, then mix flour mixture into egg/sugar mixture until completely incorporated.

Add milk/butter mixture and vanilla and mix on low just until smooth.

Pour into pan(s) and bake until top spring back when lightly touched.

lrlt2000 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the 'amateur' version! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%