Making A 3-D Dinosaur Cake..need Help With Head..rkt

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 12:12am by amyoungbl00d5

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 6

I have never used RKT for making a cake. Do I use the recipe on the box or do I use less butter? Do I form the head while it's pliable or do I let it harden up and cut the shape I want? Will the fondant stick to it or does it need frosting on it First? Help!

5 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 6

I use RKT alot, but I can't be bothered with making it. I buy them premade from either COSTCO or the supermarket when they are on sale. I open what I need and put them in the microwave for a few seconds so they become a bit more pliable. Once you have shaped the RKT then you need to coat them with buttercream. This will act as "glue" and smooth out the surface so the fondant doesn't show all the imperfections. Good luck.

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

I have made a dog head and an elmo using RKT. I'm am not any where near an expert, but found a process that worked well for me. I used the recipe on the package, but used only 1/2 the amount of recommended butter. I also crushed up the rice krispies before mixing them in. I found this helped reduce the lumpy look of what you are sculpting. Once mixed, I let it cool long enough to allow me to handle it, but not completely cool and solid. I then molded it with my hands to the shape I needed. I covered the piece in modeling chocolate, then added the layer of fondant. I found that if I just added the layer of fondant on the RKT you could still see some lumps.

Hope this helps. I would love to hear if any experts have a better way of using RKT.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 6

I don't follow a recipe because sometimes I need more or less so I just melt some marshmallows with a little bit of white chocolate and butter and mix in the cereal a little at a time until it looks right.
So sorry I don't have an exact recipe but I would suggest less butter.
I let them cool and then shape, it.
I then chill it in the fridge so it sets up fast and does'nt lose it's shape.
Then I cover it with white chocolate, this fills in any bumps or holes and gives a nice smooth finish.
I put the fondant directly on to the chocolate covered rtk, the warmth from your hands when you are smoothing the fondant is enought to melt the chocolate underneath just enough to adhere the fondant.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much...I really appreciate the advise. Thanks for the links they helped me alot! I love CC. This site has really helped me..I have made a lot of progress just by reading forums.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%