Help! How Do I Make An [B]Artist Easel [/b](Stand Up)

Decorating By rfielhau Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm by rfielhau

rfielhau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfielhau Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 5

HELP! I need to make an artist's easel for a cake on Saturday. I've already made the artist out of fondant. He is about 8" tall, so I need an easel for him to paint on. I thought about dowels but I'm not sure how to keep them together. I don't think glue would hold. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 5

For the legs you could cut some thin barbecue skewers to the right height (so that it touches the bottom of the cake and goes up and forms the easel). Then you could wrap the fondant around the easel. Then you could take some Wilton chocolate melts and use that to glue the easel together.

Hope this helps.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #3 of 5

I would build a tiny easel out of 3 bamboo skewers cut to the right height and a dried gumpaste "canvas" glued on with fondant glue or candy melts.
To make the easel take 3 bamboo skewers and glue them together at the top with some candymelts kind of like a teepee.
Instead of wrapping each one in fondant just dip the entire thing (or spoon over) in royal icing or more candymelts.
This will cover the skewers evenly and easily and and help keep the top glued together .
Tap any excess off and let dry/harden.
Then glue the canvas on the front add a small strip of fondant in the same color as the legs for the bottom part that holds the canvas.
The addition of the canvas will help stabilize it.
HTH.

http://www.displayeasels.com/easel-images/easel-greco.jpg

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, the dipping bamboo skewer in the candy melts is a great idea (instead of using fondant)!

rfielhau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfielhau Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 5

All great ideas. I'm going to get to it right to NOW icon_smile.gif

Thanks SO much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%