I Found The One Red Velvet Recipe!

Decorating By KitchenKat Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 9:37am by chocolatestone

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #91 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxybc

Ok, so I was going to make a batch of both Cake Man Raven's and Paula Deen's Red Velvet cupcakes, but once I printed them out and compared the ingreedients they are EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Hmm, someone's stolen someone's recipe!

Paula Deen's ingreedients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Those aren't the ingredients I have for Paula's RV. Here's what I have:

2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar

Similar, but her's uses butter instead of oil (go figure) and more cocoa.

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #92 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Quote:

Ok, so I was going to make a batch of both Cake Man Raven's and Paula Deen's Red Velvet cupcakes, but once I printed them out and compared the ingreedients they are EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Hmm, someone's stolen someone's recipe!

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Those aren't the ingredients I have for Paula's RV. Here's what I have:

2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar

Similar, but her's uses butter instead of oil (go figure) and more cocoa.

No, Paula Deen has 2 recipes. The Paula Deen recipe that is the same as Cake Man Raven's is her Red Velvet Cupcake recipe. It can be found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html.

Coincidentally, not only are Cake Man Raven and Paula Deen's recipes exactly the same, but Chef Stef's recipe (from the recipe section on this site) which has also got good reviews from people is also EXACTLY THE SAME!!! http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7366/chef-stefs-southern-red-velvet-cake So basically, I'd suggest using one of their recipes since they have all got very good reviews independantly. Doesn't matter which recipe, cuz they're THE SAME!!

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #93 of 107

Well...Whadaya know!! icon_confused.gif Someone has some 'splainin' to do! icon_lol.gif

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #94 of 107

Here is the recipe my MIL uses on her Red Velvet cakes. It is spetacular! She can only make days with low humidity though. Those days are few and far between in Florida. You can tell how old the recipe is by the reference to oleo.

RED VELVET CAKE FROSTING

Make this paste ahead of time and allow it to cool:

Combine one cup milk and 4 tablespoons flour in heavy saucepan. Cook until paste comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Paste will be very stiff. Pour up into a small bowl and cover with wax paper to prevent film from forming across top as it cools. Cool completely.

Cream 3 sticks of butter ** (not oleo) until fluffy. Gradually add 6 cups powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add the milk paste and whip until light and fluffy. Needs to be fairly stiff. Spread on cake that is completely cool; better if its frozen. If frosting appears to be a little soft, you can cover the bowl and set in refrigerator for a few minutes.

This frosting firms up much better in cool, dry weather. Stays too soft when exposed to heat and humidity.

** It is important to use butter (with highest saturated fat you can find). The original recipe called for oleo, but todays oleo is too watery and frosting will not set up.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #95 of 107

I'm going to be the devils advocate here. Sorry guys.

Can someone help me understand what people love about RVC? I've tasted it and it tasted like a very good cake with cream cheese icing.

I guess I am most curious that "if" you didn't put the red color in the cake would it still taste the same? The idea of putting so much red color in a cake kind of make me feel uncomfortable about it.

I so want to be able to make this cake because I have a client that this is her most fav cake of all but I don't make them because I don't understand them.

Is the red necessary for the flavor or is it just for presentation?

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #96 of 107

Echooo - To my knowledge, the red is just for color. (You can make the same cake blue, green, or any other color.) The thing I like about RV is that it's so moist (or is supposed to be!). Of course, there's also the hint of chocolate...although I've seen some recipes that only call for 1-2 tsp of cocoa, which I think isn't nearly enough! In fact, some people make a chocolate cake and add red food coloring to it.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #97 of 107

JohnnyCakes1966, thank you for your answer.

So my next question is -- why aren't all cakes made as red velvet without the the red color if they are so awesome?

Really, I'm not trying to offend anyone. My ignorance shows my level of baking education (and I am in kindergarden).

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #98 of 107

Sorry, but I'm at my answer limit for the day. icon_lol.gif (Meaning...I have no idea! icon_biggrin.gif )

But...I'll give it a shot.....I think you could put cream cheese frosting on a light chocolate cake and it would taste pretty similar to RV (assuming you also use buttermilk). A chocolate cake with a lot of cocoa wouldn't be as smooth/moist. If you look at the ingredients, you're basically making a light chocolate cake and adding red color, so....I suppose you could make it without the red color and it would taste similar. I think the vinegar brings out the red in the cocoa powder and maybe the extra color was added to make it really red.

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #99 of 107

thanks

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

JohnnyCakes1966, thank you for your answer.

So my next question is -- why aren't all cakes made as red velvet without the the red color if they are so awesome?

Really, I'm not trying to offend anyone. My ignorance shows my level of baking education (and I am in kindergarden).

History of RVC:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html#redvelvet

HTH

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #101 of 107
Quote:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Cake Man's:

2-1/2 cups of cake flour
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of fine salt
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil
1 cup of buttermilk
2 eggs
1 oz. of red food coloring
1 teaspoon of vinegar (white distilled)
1 tsp. of vanilla extract.

Can you copywrite a recipe?

The recipe I printed says flour not cake flour.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #102 of 107

I got Cakeman's recipe right off of his website, and it says cake flour.

I took the mini-cupcakes with 1M swirl to a gathering last night, and they were a big hit!!! People loved both the look and the taste. icon_smile.gif

sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #103 of 107

I couldn't fin the recipe on his website, but I found it on the food network's website.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html
If you have tried this recipe, please tell me which one you use. I will love to try this recipe soon. Sorry for the mix up, but this is just what I saw online.

sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #104 of 107

Just watch the video on cakeman ravens' website of him making the red velvet cake on Sara secret show. He said that you can use both, but high ratio (his words other words cake flour). The used all purpose flour on the show.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #105 of 107

Jan,
That foodtimeline.org is great! I love reading about the origins of those old recipes.
Thanks.

CakesByCharlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByCharlene Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:18am
post #106 of 107

i made cake man ravens recipe on thurs and ive never had rvc before so i only had 1 peice because i didnt like it that much, although i think it will grow on me...how long will it keep for? its in the fridge in a container and i used bc for its icing

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:37am
post #107 of 107

I made Cakeman's RV and loved it and then I tried Bobby Flays and loved it more. I like the butter flavour in Bobby Flay's cake. Having said that I'm from South Africa so I don't really know what is authentic when it comes to RV. I can say that I love the flavour and moistness you get from this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%