Wilton Alphabet/number Cutters?

Decorating By foodguy Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm by j_arney

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 5

I am a retired Master Cake Decorator (40+ years in a large bakery plus part time home based business)...I worked in the Buttercream years. Since retired I'm a fondant "piddler"...making embellishments for buttercream cakes that I make now just for family.

Lookling ahead to a cake for a family New Years gathering I'm wondering if the Wilton alphabet/number cutter set would be good for very occasional use, or could anyone recommend a set......remember....its now a hobby so I don't want to spend a fortune.

I'd like to do a 6" and 9" with "Happy New Year" cutouts on the sides....stars curley q's, etc. on top.

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #2 of 5

I think they would be great for what you are looking for. If you want to look for something else, then I'd say look for Tappits. They aren't overly expensive.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=21694 I did the saying on this one with the Wilton letters.

I do have the Tappits but haven't used them yet. You can get different fonts with them as well as upper and lower case letters.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:51am
post #3 of 5

Depends what you want them for really. I have the Wilton set, and also a couple of the Tappits sets. The Wilton letters are quite small (about an inch..?), and rounded. The Tappits sets are both larger; the regular font is about 1.5", and the fancy font is a bit larger than that. Doesn't sound much difference, but there really is if you have to fit "Happy Birthday Mrs Williams" or something on an 8" cake!

Personally I prefer the Tappits. I think the fonts are more stylish. Cost-wise, there's not much in it between them and Wilton.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:02am
post #4 of 5

I prefer the tappits too. Like a PP said, I find them more stylish and the cuts are just much cleaner. I guess it's because you don't need to push the paste out of the cutter, like you do with the Wilton set. Instead you just 'tap' them on the table and they fall right out.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 5

I bought the Wilton alphabet/number set a few weeks ago. I don't have the best handwriting. They're fairly small, so getting the fondant out of the cutter is tough. I've had people tell me to dip the cutter in crisco first, so I'll try that next time. Just be advised that they are small!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%