Good Custard Filling Recipe?

Baking By Elise87 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 1:03am by Bunsen

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:31am
post #1 of 5

Was wondering if someone had a nice good strong flavoured vanilla custard filling recipe that will told up to the intensity of a chocolate ganache ie. you can still taste the custard without the ganache overpowering it. I am looking for a recipe that doesn't involve any pudding mixes or stuff like that, custard powder is fine.

I have previously used a particular one that was just sugar, flour, milk, eggs and vanilla essence but could hardly taste it over the ganache, i don't know if this was just a bad or something.

Was thinking of just using the recipe off the custard powder packets and thicken it up and use that but not sure if there is another recipe out there better.

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 5

Elise87, if you liked the consistency of your previous recipe, all you need to do to increase the flavor is add more vanilla. I suggest using an actual vanilla bean, splitting it, scraping out the seeds and then putting the seeds and the pod in with the milk while you scald it. Remove the pod and then continue to build the custard as you normally would.

HTH!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 5

I'd agree, just increase the vanilla, and add it to the milk for maximum intensity. I like to use Queens vanilla bean paste as well as some extract as that gives a bit more depth of flavour. Remember that chilling the filling will dull the taste a bit so go overboard when you are tasting the hot custard.

BTW what cake are you putting this in as it sounds delicious?

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 5

Oh cool thanks for the good tips, i'll go out and get some vanilla beans/paste icon_smile.gif

oh well i was thinking of making a giant custard filled donut cake with ganache on top as the icing. If i don't get to do that shape then i will just do it on another cake but i have always liked chocolate and custard icon_biggrin.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

oh well i was thinking of making a giant custard filled donut cake with ganache on top as the icing. If i don't get to do that shape then i will just do it on another cake but i have always liked chocolate and custard icon_biggrin.gif

Yum, sounds fantastic icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%