Minimum Orders?

Business By tootie0809 Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 10:59am by Nchanted1

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

I've been getting so many calls for small cakes, like 6-inch cakes or a smash cake and a few cupcakes. One woman even just wanted a 4-inch smash cake and that was it! I price by the serving, so if someone calls and wants a 6 -inch cake only, I'm not making that much money, and I really truthfully would rather not even do small orders.

So, do any of you have minimum order amounts and if so how do you work it? I really don't want to bother with an order for less than $75.00. How can I do this and still price by the serving? Do I just say something like my smallest cake starts at x amount? Help! I'm so done with these tiny orders that are just as much of a pain as some of the larger ones and I make no money on them!

TIA!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 8

If Duff can have a $1000 minimum, then a $75 minimum sounds very reasonable icon_biggrin.gif

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 8

Amen Texas_Rose! thumbs_up.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 8

$150 for party cakes, $500 (just temporarily lowered from $600) for weddings is what I require.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 8

Okay so I'm not being unreasonable! LOL!

How do you work this with you customers then? Say they call in and want an 8 inch party cake that costs $55 and my minimum order is $75.00, do I tell them that they will have to order a larger cake to equal $75.00 then or tell them that I will do that 8 inch cake but it will cost $75.00 even if I add it up by the servings and it comes to $55.00?

I just don't know how to work that with customers so they don't think I'm trying to rip them off. Thanks!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #6 of 8

You make the smallest cake size that you offer $75, or tell them you can do it, but it's still $75.

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:18am
post #7 of 8

I have a 250 shekel minimum (I'm in Israel). I tell them that they can have a smaller cake for 250NIS or they can get a bigger one for more.

I agree, there is definitely a price below which it's just not worth turning on the oven!

Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:59am
post #8 of 8

My minimum is $100. I have had that on my web site for awhile now, mostly to cut down on new customers. But I have just started to apply it to my regular clients. I got a call for a soccer cake for 16 on a Monday, and they asked me to deliver it at 6PM to a restaurant 40 minutes from my home. That would be a single batch of batter, and I have been charging $35 plus tax for that, with free delivery.

I hadn't worked the numbers in awhile, plus a Monday order is rare. I bake everything fresh, but usually it's 5 cakes at at time. So I worked it all out. It takes 4 hours to bake a scratch cake from start to finish, then in this case another hour and 20 minutes for delivery. I discovered that after paying for my ingredients, plys $3 gas, plus 20% overhead, I was paying myself $2.63 an hour.

OUCH! So I explained to my customer that I would have to pass on the order. She offered me $50, and would pick it up at my home on Sunday. I did it, but this was the last time. It;s $100 from now on. Somebody here wrote that she'd rather sit in a clean kitchen and dream about cakes that mess it up for no profit. Amen Sister! That's me from now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%