Anyone Wants To Join My Christmas Basket Project???

Decorating By vagostino Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm by chas21

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #121 of 340

I'm working on my list right now of all the things I need. For me, that is the hardest part!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #122 of 340

I just saw this topic, and would love to join in, I have to read the whole topic, as I just browsed through, to see all was being said, I will read and get back to you all, with my lists and ask for any recipies I need.

Kavrena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavrena Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:42pm
post #123 of 340

My revamped list:
1) Cake balls
2) Hot chocolate on a stick
3) Caramel
4) Gingerbread Biscotti
5) Iced sugar cookies
6) Snickerdoodles

This week I should be getting supplies to start making things but that depends on the size of my wallet after Thanksgiving is over. Right now it looks pretty thin, but the Dollar Tree is calling my name. icon_wink.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #124 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavrena

My revamped list:
1) Cake balls
2) Hot chocolate on a stick

This week I should be getting supplies to start making things but that depends on the size of my wallet after Thanksgiving is over. Right now it looks pretty thin, but the Dollar Tree is calling my name. icon_wink.gif

Ok I may have missed it, but please do tell, what is Hot chocolate on a stick? Hope you get everything you need at the $ tree!

Kavrena Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:03am
post #125 of 340

andpotts, I did get what I needed, but not what I wanted, LOL!!

I got the recipe from AmberLee Fawson's blog giverslog.com. Here is the link to the entry with this recipe in it.

http://giverslog.com/?p=3290

The caramel that I am making is also from her blog. Here is the link to that recipe just in case.

http://giverslog.com/?p=3168

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #126 of 340
Quote:

andpotts, I did get what I needed, but not what I wanted, LOL!!

I got the recipe from AmberLee Fawson's blog giverslog.com. Here is the link to the entry with this recipe in it.

http://giverslog.com/?p=3290

The caramel that I am making is also from her blog. Here is the link to that recipe just in case.

http://giverslog.com/?p=3168

Thanks for the recipe, what a neat idea! I'm excited to check out the rest of that blog too, thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #127 of 340

I'm joining in. I haven't finalized my list yet. We always chose 12 treats and named it the 12 Treats of Christmas, but are cutting back this year. Hubby wanted me to cut it out completely since I'm doing the Free Cakes for Kids, but we reached a compromise. I'm having a hard time cutting it back, though!

Anyway, normally we get baskets and shrinkwrap (that you just use a regular hairdryer for) from Dollar Tree, but this year I discovered you could order online from Dollar Tree - and have it sent to the nearest store, so no shipping!! The downside is you have to order by the case. This year we're using this containers (but they have baskets, tins, plastic cookie trays/w lids - etc).

http://www.dollartree.com/new-arrivals-seasonal/Christmas/Christmas-Gift-Wrap/Christmas-Nesting-Gift-Boxes/215c319c325p303004/index.pro

So far I know we're doing
1) Cake Balls
2) Choco-Orange Diamonds
3) Chocolate Marbled Peanut Clusters
4)
5)
6)

Now I have to go back and read all of this thread to see if I can fill spots 4, 5, and 6!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:29am
post #128 of 340

OK, I'm going to stop lurking and join in, too. My list is finalized, and I've actually started mixing, but this year I'm experimenting and freezing the dough so I can bake as needed. My distribution dates are waaaaay too spread out, even with freezing, for baked cookies.
Anyhoo, my list for this year:
1-Old-fashioned sugar cookies
2-Stuffed cookies
3-Iced sugar cookies
4-Choc. chip cookies
5-Molasses cookies
6-Gingerbread men
7-Buckeyes
8-Truffles (chocolate,not cake)
9-Fudge
10-Oatmeal Carmelitas
11-Mini pumpkin bread
12-Oatmeal cookies

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:46am
post #129 of 340

Does anyone have a good recipe for Martha Washington Balls?

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #130 of 340

Aaack!! My list was finalized, and then I saw the Better Homes & Gardens Holiday Cookie magazine at the grocery store yesterday!!!!
I'm so undecided!! I am however, going to check out our dollar stores today to see what I can find...

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #131 of 340

Kavrena you are a star!!!!! Could I find that website again could I heck woo hoo into faves like it should have been the first time.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #132 of 340

CookieD-oh what are oatmeal carmelitas?

kscater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kscater Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #133 of 340

I am SO glad I found this thread and my family and friends will be too come Christmas! I bought some really cute baskets at the Dollar Tree a couple weeks ago and then got busy with Thanksgiving prep so I haven't come up with my list yet. I usually make chocolate peanut butter fudge, buttermilk fudge, peanut butter balls, divinity, martha washingtons (I will post the recipe later), dipped pretzels, molasses cookies and chex mix. I was hoping to find a couple new things to add this year but everything here sounds so good I might have to buy bigger baskets! icon_biggrin.gif

Kavrena Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #134 of 340

icon_biggrin.gif No problem, guys!! Hope it helps with enhancing your lists, LOL!!

And CookieD-oh, what are stuffed cookies?!?! ( I have an idea, but please do tell)

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #135 of 340

Every year I tell myself I'm going to be more organized and start earlier. Thanks to you all at least I've made a list.

1.Cocoa cones
2.Chocolate dipped Spoons (great with the cocoa cones)
3.Chocolate dipped Pretzel Rods
4.Chocolate dipped Oreos
5.Decorated Sugar Cookies
6.Toffee
7.Peanut Brittle
8.Fudge
9.Honeycomb candy
10.Candy filled cones (disposible decorating bags layered with seasonal candy) These I make for my grandkids

Now to get busy.

CookieD-oh Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #136 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

CookieD-oh what are oatmeal carmelitas?

Only the yummiest things ever! icon_lol.gif They're bar cookies that won a contest (back in the 70's I think...my mom cut the recipe out of a magazine). I can't remember if the contest was for Pillsbury, Nestle or something else, but Mom made them every year. Recipe as follows:

Grease bottom and sides of 9" square pan.
In a medium bowl combine to form crumb:
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup melted butter
Press half of mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped nuts over hot crust.

Combine 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping* and 3 TBS flour. Mix well and drizzle over chocolate and nuts.

Sprinkle remaining crumb over caramel topping. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares.

*Back in the day it seems that caramel topping was hard to come by, so my mom used butterscotch most of the time, and it was just as good. In fact, now I use Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel topping. Yum!

CookieD-oh Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #137 of 340
Quote:

...And CookieD-oh, what are stuffed cookies?!?! ( I have an idea, but please do tell)

Stuffed cookies are my Grandma's recipe, and my brother won't let me into his house on Christmas without a big plate of them icon_lol.gif . I don't tell people what's in the cookies until after they taste them, because for some reason, when you say the word "dates", people flip out and won't eat them. But once they've tried them, it's not an issue.

Cookies:
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking pwd.
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs milk
Cream shortening and sugar, blend in egg and beat until smooth. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Roll out 1/8" thick.

Filling:
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped dates
2 Tbs lemon juice
pinch salt
3/4 cup water
Combine all ingredients in saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until thick. Cool. (Will thicken more upon cooling.)

Cut out 2 cookies, add one tsp filling (sandwich fashion). Press edges firmly to seal. Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes, or until edges just start to turn golden.
**You can double the dough, but do not double the filling. You'll have leftover filling even with doubled dough.

kscater Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #138 of 340

Martha Washington's

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 boxes powdered sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can coconut
1 c. pecans, chopped
2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 block parrafin

Combine butter, powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, coconut and pecans. This mixture is really thick so I use my hands to make sure I get it completely mixed together. Form into balls and put them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Melt chocolate chips and parrafin to dip the balls in.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #139 of 340

Okay so I've read all of the posts and summed my list to this so far.

pumpkin bread (recipe from paulstonia)
Oatmeal Carmelites (recipe from CookieD-oh)
cake balls-chocolate/chocolate (cause their the best)
hot chocolate on a stick (http://giverslog.com/?p=3290)
chocolate chip cookies (some will have be dipped in chocolate)

I'd also like to make snickerdoodle cookies...anyone care to share a good recipe???

alvarezmom Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #140 of 340

The Martha Washington cookies look pretty good. What is block parrafin?

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #141 of 340

It's a wax that is used in chocolate and to seal jars for preservatives.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #142 of 340

So that's used like wax paper or parchment paper so the goodies dont stick? Just need to be clear right now. I have turkey, ham and dressing on my mind already..

kscater Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #143 of 340

The parafin is melted together with the chocolate.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #144 of 340

No, it is actually melted into the chocolate to reach a certain consistency. I don't know abut now, but back in the day most candy bars had parrafin wax in it. As far as as using it when you make canned goods, you melt in & our it onto the opening the jar to seal in what ever your preserving.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #145 of 340

I'm having a not-so-smart moment right now! icon_redface.gif

alvarezmom Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:49pm
post #146 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscater

Martha Washington's

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 boxes powdered sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can coconut
1 c. pecans, chopped
2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 block parrafin

Combine butter, powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, coconut and pecans. This mixture is really thick so I use my hands to make sure I get it completely mixed together. Form into balls and put them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Melt chocolate chips and parrafin to dip the balls in.

How much weight is the box of powered sugar? I get bags of it and each bag is 2lbs.

kscater Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #147 of 340

I'm pretty sure a box of powdered sugar is equal to one pound.

Martha Washington's are really good but they are REALLY rich, so don't make them too big.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #148 of 340

I just want to tell you the supplies I got:

Nesting baskets at TJ maxx (there are 3 baskets in different sizes per set. the set was $9 but it had 3 baskets so I figured $3 a piece and this are nice baskets! Red fabric type woven exterior lined with white and red striped cloth. They can use them later for storage etc.
parchment paper in holiday prints (red snowflakes on white paper)- I'll use it to line the baskets and to wrapped the mini loafs (tying a ribbon on each end to look like a candy wrapper).
super cute "treat" bags...round with a reindeer print on the front.
Saran wrap holiday prints (not sure what for yet, but just in case
chinese take out containers in red and white stripes
gallon zipper bags in holiday prints

I'm planning on leaving the decorated sugar cookies in the middle of the basket to be the main focus, and then the rest of the stuff in their wrappers/containers.

C'mon girls! kids are out of school and thanksgiving is gonna be crazy! Get everything ready to go monday AM!!

I'm watching you!!! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #149 of 340

Well I finally got my for real final, final list and have written out my shopping list.

Buttercrunch Toffee
Peppermint Bark
Pralines
Turtles
Chocolate Pistachio Spirals
Gourment Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Mahogany Buttercrunch Toffee

Jumbles
Swiss-Italian Mocha Meringue
Snickerdoodles
Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
Holiday Icebox Cookies (cherry, almond, apricot, blueberry)
Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti
Almond Cherry Biscotti
Shortbread
Almond Crescents
Chocolate Carmel Chews
Pecan Tarts

Vagostino where did you find parchment paper printed with holiday designs?

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #150 of 340

LaBellaFlor, I found the parchment paper at Target, in the Holliday aisle (where they have the candy and decorations, they have a specific aisle with all the holliday baking stuff...it was there next to the treat bags, sprinkles etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%