Anyone Wants To Join My Christmas Basket Project???

Decorating By vagostino Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm by chas21

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #61 of 340

Oh man!! I was wondering why no one was posting on this thread, and somehow it's gone from my watched topics! Argh!!
I still have not come up with a final list, but will work on it, I swear! LOL! I keep getting better ideas everytime someone posts!!
I'm stumped though - do we make these big batches and freeze them?? Is there such a thing as overfilling these baskets? (not for me, I'd eat it all!)
What about those cute little chinese food container thingies they sell at Michael's? They are adorable...But I think I'll check out the Dollar Store...

janebrophy Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #62 of 340

BTW, I found this while looking at those gift tags! icon_smile.gif
http://www.lollychops.com/lollychops/2008/12/peppermint-candy-cane-brownies.html

Dang it! same thing with this link...only go to the first html.....

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:21pm
post #63 of 340

HannahLass, what is tiger butter? And I would love the recipe for you caramel white chocolate fudge. That sounds yummy. So far I know I want to make pumpkin and zuchini bread, snickerdoodles,sugar cookies, and fudge. I think I'll check out the thread where everyone was telling what they put in there baskets too.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:17am
post #64 of 340

so...WykdGud...the egg nog cups caught my eye. what exactly is that? and can i get the recipe?! my fiance LOVES egg nog and that would be a perfect holiday treat...TIA!

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #65 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

so...WykdGud...the egg nog cups caught my eye. what exactly is that? and can i get the recipe?! my fiance LOVES egg nog and that would be a perfect holiday treat...TIA!

I found the recipe the other day and it sounds good (but I can't vouch for it as I haven't made them yet).

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/santas-eggnog-cups

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:17am
post #66 of 340

Hi All,
Here are some of the recipes, I've added the ones people asked for and I've put my fave/most popular in trials at work chocolate almond cherry fudge. tastes sooo rich it's like it has some alcohol in it but there isnt so everyone can have it. Cut it into smaller than 1inch pieces.

Hi Paulstonia, Tiger butter is incredibly addictive. It is essentially white chocolate and chunky peanut butter melted together smoothed in a pan with dark chocolate melted and poured on top and swirled through with a skewer and left in the fridge to set. sounds odd but it is really nice and in the test run people who hate peanut butter loved it too.

Hey Labellaflor
Im not sure of the definition of candy (im in the UK) these are kinda like fudgy chcolatey marshmallow biscuit filled goodness. oh my digestive biscuits are your graham crackers (?) though I have used rich tea biscuits as well but I dont know what they substitute as. If you googled it you could prob find a picture and work out what looks the same in the store for you. And golden syrup is corn syrup I think.
I'm gonna put the recipes below, I make them up let them set in a 8X12 pan lined with baking paper and when set slice them in to like 1 inch squares. my goodness do they dissapear quick. Oh and I'm going to put in the

Tiger butter
455 g White chocolate
450g Dark chocolate
345g crunchy peanut butter

1.  Lone 10x15 inch pan with parchment. Set aside
2.  In double boiler over simmering water, heat the white chocolate and peanut butter. Stir constantly until the white chocolate and peanut butter melts.
3.  Spread onto the prepared pan. Pour melted dark chocolate over the top and swirl through with a knife to create marble pattern. Chill until firm and cut into ½ by 1 pieces.

Rocky road candy

400g dark chocolate (70% works best)
4-6 tbsp golden syrup
270g butter or margarine
200g mini marshmallows
400g Digestive biscuits

1.  Line a small to medium sized square baking tray with baking paper.
2.  Place biscuits into a freezer bag and crush until crushed in to a mixture of sizes from dust to lumps. Put to the side.
3.  In a large saucepan melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup over a gentle heat stirring constantly until no more lumps of chocolate visible remove from the heat.
4.  Add biscuits and marshmallows to the chocolate mixture. Stir all together until everything is completely covered.
5.  Tip the mixture into the lined baking tray making sure that you get it all and spread the mixture in the tray until flat.
6.  Refrigerate this for at least 2 hours and cut into 1 inch squares with a sharp knife.

Caramel and white chocolate fudge

215g caster sugar
200g brown sugar
2 tbs golden syrup
125ml thin cream
60ml milk
100g white chocolate
40g butter
1.  Grease 15cm square cake tin and line the base and 2 sides with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
2.  Combine the caster sugar, brown sugar, golden syrup, cream, milk and chocolate in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Cook for 5 min or until sugar completely dissolves. Stirring and brushing down the sides with a pasty brush dipped in water to remove any sugar crystals.
3.  Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook without stirring for 5-7 min or until candy thermometer reaches hard crack stage 160 degrees c. Instantly remove from the heat and add the butter do not stir.
4.  Set aside for 20 min or until syrup reaches 40 decrees C on the candy thermometer.
5.  Stir with a wooden spoon for about 5 min of until the mixture holds its shape when dropped from the spoon. Pour into the prepared pan and cover with foil. Set aside for 6 hrs or until the fudge sets (fudge will crystallise as it sets)
6.  Turn on to a clean work surface and cut into squares.

Gourmet Rocky road
375g White Chocolate
½ cup pistachios, toasted
2/3 cup shredded coconut
2 2/3 cups mini marshmallows
2/3 cup dried cranberries

1.  Line base and sides of a 4cm deeo 27cm X 17cm pan with foil allowing a 2cm overhang at both ends.
2.  Melt chocolate over double boiler until smooth and melted.
3.  Combine pistachios, coconut, marshmallows and cranberries in a large bowl. Pour over chocolate and stir to coat.
4.  Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate until set. Turn out onto a chopping board, remove foil and cut into 24 pieces.

Almond Cherry Fudge

335g dark chocolate chips
1 can condensed milk
50g chopped almonds
85g glace cherries, chopped
5ml almond extract

1.  Line an 8inch square pan with foil and grease the foil; set aside.
2.  In double boiler over simmering water combine the choc chips and condensed milk. Melt chocolate and stir until smooth.
3.  Stir in the almonds, cherries and extract. Spread into prepared pan. Cover and chill until set.
4.  Using foil, lift the fudge out of the pan. Discard the foil, cut the fudge into 1 inch squares store in the fridge.

HannahLass Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:30am
post #67 of 340

Hey LaBellaFlor,
Im just wondering that are pralines? They seem to be ringing a bell as something tasty but my mind is drawing a blank. Would you mind sharing your recipe? Also I am searching for a really good gingerbread recipe as I think that smell is just christmas itsself. I've tried a few but they haven't quite hit the mark and I'd love to include them in my baskets. Cheers All
Hanxx

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:00pm
post #68 of 340

Hannahlass that is all delicious soudning candy in the U.S. and i will be making your recipes as soonas I convert the measurements. icon_biggrin.gif

Pralines are a pecan candy. IMO the ones from New Orleans are the best! I've had them at other places, but the never quite measure up. Then I found this recipe and was very happy with it!

PRALINES
1 1/2 cups (340 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (340 g) white sugar
2 TBLS. butter
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) evaporated milk
2 cups (200 g) pecan halves
1 tsp. PURE vanilla extract (once again, I stress, it's gotta be the real deal. The fake stuff doesn't give it enough of a taste)
1 tsp. vanilla oil

Preheat ovent and toast pecans for about 5 mins. This is not going to be a full taste, you will barely get a toasty smell if at all. DO NOT over toast, cause then they will be too brittle. Now, this is what I like to do, but totally not neccessary.
In large, heavy bottomed saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring with wooden spoon. Cook at a low boil for about 4 minutes (a candy thermomter will read 260 degrees F/ 127 degrees C or hard ball stage). Remove from the heat and beat the mixture (by hand) until it cools, about 2 minutes. It won't be cold, just a lot cooler. Drop a tablespoon of mixture at a time onto wax paper. Let the candies cool completely before storing. Makes about 40.

janebrophy Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #69 of 340

Mmmm...pralines are my absolute favourite!! I'll have to sneak away somewhere & eat them in secret...(son's allergic)

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #70 of 340

Fullhouse,
Those ribbon cookies look great...very impressive ! I will try these out maybe this weekend - for taste testing purposes...right, that sounds good, lol ! On that recipe - it says that they make them 2 weeks in advance !!! Do you ?

HannahLass Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #71 of 340

Hi again hehe,
I get a lot of recipes from a website called allrecipes .com I think most of those I posted (if not all) came from on there and they have the measurements in cups first and if they dont it has a conversion button you press it and voila us measurements or uk. I love it and each thing has review by other people on the site with suggestions for improvements and things.
Hanx

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #72 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

Fullhouse,
Those ribbon cookies look great...very impressive ! I will try these out maybe this weekend - for taste testing purposes...right, that sounds good, lol ! On that recipe - it says that they make them 2 weeks in advance !!! Do you ?

They are favorites among my family and friends, a definite must on my list, even if I didn't make anything else. I do make them at least 2 weeks in advance, but usually more, they freeze really well. Also, when I make them, after I spread the preserves and stack the layers I put a cookie tray on top of them and then weight that down a few heavier items in my fridge and let that sit 1-3 days before coating in chocolate. That makes them nice and dense in texture and gives the flavors lots of time to blend. When I coat with choc., I cut them in to columns lengthwise, then coat the tops and sides w/choc. Once choc. is set, you need a super sharp knife WARMED and wiped clean; be sure to slice carefully or the choc. will crack.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #73 of 340

Okay Vagostino, you started the thread, when do we start the cooking/baking? ANd how many per week to stay on track? icon_biggrin.gif

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #74 of 340

Ok, so I put all the wonderful suggestions for the x-mas baskets in different categories, trying not to duplicate them (sorry for the caps lol).
The recipes in bold are the ones that have been posted so far. Thanks everyone for posting the recipes and different flavors. I also will like to know when will be a good time to start making them ahead. TIA

BREADS/TARTS/OTHERS:

APPLE CINNAMON JELLY
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
BUTTER TARTS
CARAMEL CORN
CARAMEL POPCORN DRIZZLED WITH CHOCOLATE
CINNAMON BREAD
DECORATED CHRISTMAS CAKE
GINGERBREAD MUFFINS
HOT CHOCOLATE ON A STICK
LEMON TARTS
MINI PECAN POUND CAKES
MINI CUPCAKES
MINI BUNDT CAKE
MINI OREO CHEESECAKES ( MUST BE REFRIGERADED)
MINI LOAVES (CRANBERRY & PUMPKIN)
PECAN TARTS
PINEAPPLE JALAPENO VINEGAR
PINEAPPLE SQUARES
PUMPKIN TARTS
PUMPKIN BREAD
RASPBERRY OATMEAL SQUARES
RED VELVET PETIT FOURS
WHITE CHOCOLATE COVERED SNACK MIX
ZUCHINI BREAD

FUDGE:

ALMOND AND CHERRY FUDGE
CARAMEL WHITE CHOCOLATE FUDGE

FUDGE (DIFF. VARIETIES)
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE LAYER FUDGE
WHITE CHOC. PEPPERMINT FUDGE

GatuPR Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #75 of 340

Sorry but I couldn't just highlight the rainbow cookies, they sould be in bold too.

COOKIES:

ALMOND CRANBERRY COOKIES
BISCOTTI
CANDY CANE COOKIES
CHECKERBOARD COOKIES
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL PECAN COOKIES
CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN COOKIES
CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY COOKIES
CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO SPIRALS
COCOA SHORTBREAD DIAMONDS
CRANBERRY COOKIES
DECORATED SUGAR COOKIES
EGG NOG CUPS, SANTAS
GINGERBREAD COOKIES
GINGERBREAD MEN
GINGERSNAPS
HOLIDAY ICEBOX COOKIES
HOLIDAY M&M COOKIES
JUMBLES
LEMON POPPYSEED COOKIES
MACAROONS
MAGIC COOKIE BARS
OATMEAL - PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
PISTACHIO BISCOTTI
PEPPERMINT FUDGE COOKIE SANDWICHES (FROM PAMPERED CHEF COOKBOOK)
RAINBOW COOKIES (AKA VENETIAN RIBBONS)
SHORTBREAD + SHORTBREAD STARS
SNICKERDOODLES
STAINED GLASS STAR SUGAR COOKIES
WHIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
WHITE CHOCOLATE CHERRY SHORTBREAD

GatuPR Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #76 of 340

should lol

TRUFFLES/CAKE BALLS/BONS BONS/CHOC. COVER/DIP:

CAKE BALLS LIKE OREO CAKE BALLS, OTHER FLAVORS: SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM
CHOCOLATE COVERED MARSHMALLOWS
CHOC. COVERED PRETZEL RODS + REGULAR PRETZELS
CHOC. COVERED OREOS
CHOCOLATE DIPPED NUTTER BUTTER COOKIES TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE SANTA
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES SOME ROLLED IN COCOA, NUTS AND CHOCOLATE SHAVINGS.
CHOCOLATE COVERED RICE KRISY TREATS( MADE TO LOOK LIKE PRESENTS)
CHOCOLATE COVERED HAY STACKS ( WE USE CHOW MEIN NOODLES AND PECANS)
COFFEE BALLS ( MADE LIKE RUMBALLS BUT WITH NO ALCOHOL)
DIPPED PEANUT BUTTER BALLS
DIPPED RICE CRISPI TREATS ON A STICK
DIPPED MARSHMALLOWS ON A SUCKER STICK TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE SNOWMEN
DIPPING PRINGELS IN CHOCOLATE
DIPPED BROWNIE BITES
FUDGY BON BONS
GRAND MARNIER TRUFFLES
RUM PUDDING TRUFFLES
TRUFFLES (DIFF. FLAVORS)

GatuPR Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #77 of 340

I think these are all the ideas/recipes posted so far, sorry if I miss any.
Again I couldn't highlight rocky road and tiger butter, they should be in bold.

CANDY/BRITTLES/TOFFEE/BARKS:

BUTTER BRICKLE TOFFEE (HAS CHOCOLATE INSTEAD OF NUTS! VERY YUMMERS!)
BUTTERCRUNCH TOFFEE
CHOCOLATE BARK
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL CHEWS
DIVINITY
GOURMET ROCKY ROAD CANDY
HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOWS (DIFF. FLAVORS)
MARSHMALLOW SNOWMEN ON PRETZEL RODS
ORANGE CRANBERRY BARK
PEPPERMINT BARK
PRALINES
PEPPERMINT BARK (CAKEMOMMYTX WAY WITH THE CANDY CANE HEART FRAME)
PEANUT BRITTLE
ROCKY ROAD CANDY
RUM BALLS
SWISS-ITALIAN MOCHA MERINGUES
TIGER BUTTER
TURTLES
WHITE CHOCOLATE , CANDY CANE ALMOND BARK

GatuPR Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:41pm
post #78 of 340

NOTE: CAKE BALLS POSTED BY CRISSEYANN IN ANOTHER THREAD (I CHANGE IT A LITTLE BIT):

CAKE OF YOUR CHOICE (IVE DONE CHOCOLATE, GERMAN CHOCOLATE, BANANA, STRAWBERRY, CHERRY CHIP, SPICE, WHITE, YELLOW, ETC.)

BUTTER-CREAM ICING (INSTEAD, YOU CAN ALSO USE FLAVORED COFFEE CREAMER IN ANY FLAVOR TO COMPLIMENT YOUR CAKE, IVE NEVER TRIED THIS THOUGH) I MAY ADD CREAM CHEESE, CONDENSED MILK OR OTHER LIKE MARSHMALLOW CRÈME, ETC.

CHOCOLATE OF YOUR CHOICE FOR DIPPING (CAN USE CHOCOLATE CHIPS, CANDY MELTS, HERSHEY KISSES)

SPRINKLES, NUTS, CRUSHED COOKIES OR COCONUT

BAKE YOUR CAKE AS DIRECTED ON PACKAGE. LET COOL AND CRUMBLE INTO A BIG BOWL. ADD JUST ENOUGH ICING (OR OTHER BINDER) SO MIXTURE CAN BE FORMED INTO A BALL. CAREFUL NOT TO ADD TOO MUCH OR YOUR BALLS WILL BE SOGGY. FORM BALLS AND COOL FOR AN HOUR OR SO. DIP BALLS IN CHOCOLATE USING YOUR FAVORITE METHOD.

KKristy Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #79 of 340

Wow !! Thanks for putting all of that in one list !
Now who is going to send me a basket with ALL of these yummy things in it ?? lol !

I'm adding homemade peanut butter cups, biscotti and my chocolate-marshmallow puff cookies to my list

HannahLass Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #80 of 340

Hi Kkristy,
I have a recipe for almond cranberry biscotti that we love. Just wondering if you would share yours.
Han xx

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:02pm
post #81 of 340

THANK YOU! I'm so glad you put that list together. Now I'm gonna look at it again and make recipe request.

GatuPR Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #82 of 340

Your welcome KKristy and LaBellaFlor. Just trying to contribute after all the generous people who posted ideas/recipes.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #83 of 340

Please, who ever posted the following ideas, could you please post the following recipes:

Hot Chocolate on a Stick
Pineapple Jalapeno Vinegar
Pistachio Biscotti
White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
Butter Brickle Toffee
Almond Cranberry Biscotti

Thank you everyone!

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #84 of 340

I'm here!!! Sorry!!

LaBellaFlor: As far as when to start I have no idea really since everybody has different ideas as far as how many items they are making and when are they going to deliver them (teachers etc before christmas and family the week of christmas).

I think we Should "attempt" to have a master list so people that want a straightforward plan can just do that, and then a schedule to follow that.

I think we should get supplies, ingredients etc no later than next week and start baking the week after Thanksgiving with 3 or more items to do per week.

My question is: what should be done first? Candies, choc covered items, cakes or quick breads and finally cookies? in that order?

HannahLass Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:46pm
post #85 of 340

Me again,
Here's the recipe for hot chocolate on a stick. Instructions for use heat cup of milk stir using the hot chocolate on a stick voila hot chocolate. the high % chocolate melts nicely and a couple of them in a cellophane bag tied with a ribbon with a cute little instructions tag looks cute. If you like it sweeter could just add a bit more icing sugar (powdered sugar) to the mix. You can use what ever shape ice cube tray you want experiment and see which works best for you. I use a basic cube tray that is quite deep.
Right Im off home. cant wait to come back in the morning when you have all been up doing your thing. Night night all.
Hanxx

Hot chocolate on a stick

8oz 70% dark chocolate
¼ cup cocoa (sifted)
½ cup icing sugar (sifted)
Pinch of salt
1.  Place chocolate in double boiler, once almost completely melted remove from the heat and stir until completely melted.
2.  Add cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt stir until combined.
3.  Lift the bowl off the pan and use a towel to dry off any drips of water.
4.  Pour chocolate into piping bag.
5.  Pipe the chocolate into the ice cube tray tapping the tray to make sure all the air bubbles are gone.
6.  Let partially set and insert lolly stick. Let set completely. Unmold and store.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #86 of 340

Vagostino I think your order sounds really good as far as how long things stay fresh. AWESOME. This is so much easier then me having to think everything. Yes, I can be lazy!

Thanks HannahLass. Don't forget the Almond Cranberry Biscotti. icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone else has recipe request, don't forget to make them. And thanks to everyone taking the time to contribute recipes. It helps to get our shoppingg list together, quicker. thumbs_up.gif

vagostino Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #87 of 340

Do you think that we can make a generic list of basic things that should go well together and then people can add if they have time?
I'll print the list and highlight what i think should be a good master list, i'll post soon.

vagostino Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:09pm
post #88 of 340

Ok, here is my master list, I'm putting the ingredients in the order that i think they should be produced, but i've never done this before so correct me if I'm wrong:

Buttecrunch toffee
gourmet rocky road candy
orange cranberry bark (you can do peppermint instead)
pralines
Chocolate covered oreos
dipped marshmallows (How do you make them look like snowmans???)
mini pound cakes or mini pumpkin bread
biscotti
eggnogg cups
white choc cherry shortbread
decorated sugar cookies

We need recipes for mini pound cakes or breads!!!!

Thanks everybody!!! I thought it was going to be a couple of us making some cookies but this is turning to be awesome!!!

PLEASE get your supplies, recipes printed, ingredients etc and be ready to do some serious baking the week after thanksgiving!!!

***If you find any cute containers post pictures!****

KKristy Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #89 of 340

Here is a link to a picture of snowman on a stick....these are from an etsy shop( not mine).....I dip mine in white chocolate as these are, but decorate in more traditional colors...( black for buttons,eyes,arms and mouth...orange for the nose..etc)
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=17573563

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #90 of 340

OH WOW! I just sat down and made my list last night then I saw this post today!
Now I'll have more to add!
2 of my faves I make every year are
Nutchos: peanuts, crushed chips , choc and butterscotch chips.
Swedish Nuts: Whatever nuts you choose covered in whipped egg whites and toasted in the oven.
Both I found in my local newspaper.
I can send better instructions if anyone is interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%