Anyone Wants To Join My Christmas Basket Project???

Decorating By vagostino Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm by chas21

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:26pm
post #91 of 340

Here's the recipe for Butter Brickle Toffee. I first found out about it from a co-worker who said it's her favorite candy and she's not been able to find it outside her home state of Nebraska. I found the recipe in an old cookbook I found at a garage sale a few weeks back and just made it for my work office party. It tastes a lot like Heath bars, but it has no nuts in it. This would be a great recipe for kids who want toffee/brittle but can't have nuts due to alleriges. icon_biggrin.gif

BUTTER BRICKLE TOFFEE
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 cup chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)

1 glass pan well greased with butter (Prepare this before you start the toffee!)

Combine butter, water, and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. It will need to cook until it reaches hard crack stage (300 degrees) and it will turn a deep golden brown and easily pull away from the sides of the pan. The constant stirring is a must. If you walk away for even a moment the butter could burn and the batch be ruined. It takes about 5-7 minutes cooking time.

Once hard crack temp is reached, immediately pour mixture into the buttered pan, spreading it out. Allow to set up for a minute or two, then sprinkle the chocolate chips over it. Allow the chips to soften (a couple minutes max. Less than that if you use mini chips, which I did) then use a spatula to spread the chocolate over the toffee, coating it. Cool for about 30-45 minutes, or cool to the touch but not completely cooled off, then put in the fridge for about 10 minutes so the chocolate will firm up. Take out and then break apart into chunks.

I'm not a big fan of toffee but this stuff is very buttery and has a nice caramel flavor to it. I see why my co-worker loves it so much and misses it!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #92 of 340

Ok, here is my final list:
Mini Holiday Ring Cakes
Cranberry Orange Bark
Chocolate Dipped Figs & Pretzels
Old Fashioned Shortbread
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Hot Chocolate on a Stick
Butter Brickle Toffee **would someone please post the recipe? icon_smile.gif **
Decorated Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

This is an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing all these recipes!!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #93 of 340

OMG! This is fantastic! I'm a teacher and would like to make something for my 5th graders, as well as my coworkers. I'm interested in homemade marshmellows. Didn't know you could make them! Would someone please post their recipe. and more pics of the snowmen. Do you use colored choc to embellis or royal icing? I have a really good rumball recipe I'll post and truly the best fruit cake recipe I've ever tasted. I hate fruit cake! But love this. It doesn't have to mature but it does get better and better if it does. I can't keep it around long enough!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #94 of 340

I'm pretty sure this is my list. I was trying to scale back this year, but to many good ideas. I have scaled back some & will be trying a few first.

Buttercrunch Toffee
Peppermint Bark
Pralines
Turtles
Chocolate Pistachio Spirals
Gourmet Rocky Road
Carmel & White chocolate Fudge
Almond Cherry Fudge

Jumbles
Swiss-Italian Mocha Meringues
Gingerbread Cookies
Stained-Glass Star Sugar Cookies
Shortbread
Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
Chcolate Carmel Chews Bars
Holiday Icebox Cookies
Pistachio Biscotti (hopefully I get the recipe icon_biggrin.gif )
Almond Cranberry Biscotti (need recipe icon_smile.gif )
White CHocolate Cherry Shortbread (also need recipe icon_wink.gif )

Would love a couple of chocolate type cookies. I have a couple of recipes, but would like to try soemthing new.

LMGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LMGF Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #95 of 340

Count me in!!

My list isn't finalized yet, but so far, it looks like:

Mini bundt cakes or mini cheesecakes
Tiger Butter
Decorated sugar cookies
White Chocolate covered peanut butter crackers
Cake balls
Party mix or nut mix
Orange cranberry pecan bark (but I think I'll add toasted almonds instead of pecans)
Shortbread cookies
Cheese straws

I'm starting tomorrow on the few things that I can freeze. Wish me luck!

Oh, I would love the Pistachio Biscotti recipe too!

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:02pm
post #96 of 340

I listed it as Pistachio biscotti, but it's technically Cranberry Pistachio biscotti and the recipe can be found here:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/cranberry-pistachio-biscotti

It is super yummy! I dip one end of mine in white chocolate.

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #97 of 340

Ok, I think this is my final list. I put it in order of how I should make it (if anyone thinks I should switch things around, just say something!). I'm going to try to go out Monday or Tuesday and at least try to find cute baggies and tins/boxes to put things in. I'm so excited about this!!

Peppermint bark
chocolate covered pretzels
marshmallow snowmen
hot chocolate on a stick
homemade marshmallows
puppy chow
oreo truffles
friendship bread
sugar cookies
gingerbread men

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:44pm
post #98 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

I listed it as Pistachio biscotti, but it's technically Cranberry Pistachio biscotti and the recipe can be found here:

Are you sure they are good? have you tried them? If you did I'll believe you but I already decided not to make anymore "Martha's" recipes. They turn out horrible!!! (in the past at least 5 of her recipes were terrible)

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #99 of 340

LOL!!!!!! I think something happens to Martha Stewart's recipes when they go to print. Sometimes they seem a little off and need a little tweaking. I have had luck with some of her recipes...but then I tweaked them as well.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:45am
post #100 of 340

@vagostino:
not sure if you were referring to my marshmallow snowmen..but since no one else was posting how they make them...i'll go through my way.
i take 2 reg size marshmallows and put them on a pretzel rod (or lolly stick) where they are touching each other. i dip them in white almond bark to coat, let that dry. i pipe choc for the eyes mouth and nose. wrap a piece of red shoelace licorice around for the scarf and there you have it. when i get some made, i will post a picture.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #101 of 340

Home made marshmallows;
3packages unflavored gelatin
1 c ice cold water, divided
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c confectioners sugar
1/4 c cornstarch

Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 c water. In small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 c water granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over the medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees. immediately remove from the heat
Using the whisk attachment, turn the mixer on low and slowly pour the sugar syrup don the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.

Combine the confectioners sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Lightly spray a 9x13 metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sugar and cornstarch mixture and completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl for later use.
When ready, pour the mixture into the prepared pan, using a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly into the pan. Dust the top with enough of the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover, reserve the rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Turn them onto a cutting board and cut into 1 inch squares using a pizza wheel dusted with confectioners sugar mixture. Once cut lightly dust all sides of each one with remaining mixture. Store in an airtight container

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:12am
post #102 of 340

pumpkin bread

1(15 oz) can of pumpkin
4 eggs 1 c vegetable oil
2/3 c water 3 c sugar
3 1/2 c flour
2 tsp. baking sodea
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. ginger
Mix pumpkin, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and spices.Stir the dry ingredients int the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into prepared pans bake for 50 minutes in 350 oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This is the best pumpkin bread recipe I've ever had. Really moist. I like mine spicy and add extra spices.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #103 of 340

Thank you Paulstonia for the recipes. I've tried to attach mine but I must be doing it wrong. I'll try again.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:19am
post #104 of 340

I made the martha pistachio cranberry biscotti, it is actually really really nice it's going in some of my baskets. I'm going to let them dry out a bit more next time though. bit of a pain slicing them as the nits get in the way and I lost some with them breaking in half. Well not lost exactly but they didnt make it to where they were going and went in my belly instead bwahhahaha. xx

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:14pm
post #105 of 340

does anyone have a recipe for the swiss italian mocha meringues they would like to share... they sound wonderful and something different!

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #106 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

Are you sure they are good? have you tried them? If you did I'll believe you but I already decided not to make anymore "Martha's" recipes. They turn out horrible!!! (in the past at least 5 of her recipes were terrible)

Yep, I've tried them - and they're really good! I have only made a few other MS recipes and never had a problem...

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #107 of 340

Swiss-Italian Mocha Meringue is a nice textured "cookie". Here goes.
Make sure you have a#8 (3/4") star tip & gallon size freezer bag
2 tsps. Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso powder
4 drops red food coloring (optional, helps deepen the color, won't look red)
1 1/4 cups & 3 TBLS. sugar
4 large egg whites (room temp., about 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
2 ozs. (2-1oz. squares) unsweetened chocolate (do not subsitute with a sweeter chocolate, cause then cookie will be too sweet)

Preheat ovent to 350 degrees. Stir the instant espresso into 1/2 tsp. boiling water and add red food coloring, if desired, to make a paste. Set aside near the mixer. Have a 2-cup heatproof glass measure ready near the range. In small heavysaucepan, stir together 1 1/4 cuos sugar and 1/3 cup water. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is bubbling. Stop stirring and turn down heat (if using an electric range, remove from heat). In mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tarter, and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaing 3 TBLS. of sugar until stiff peaks form. Increase heat and the boil the syrup until the thermometer reaches 248-250 degrees. Immediately pour syrup into the glass measuring cup to stop the cooking. Beayt syrup into egg whites into a steady stream. Do not allow syrup to fall on beaters. With the last addition, scrape oout with rubber spatula. Beat 1 minute. Now comes the critical moment: stop beating disengage the beater attachment, add melted chocolate 7 coofee mixture, DO NOT POUR ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER. YOU WILL SIEZE YOUR CHOCOLATE! Beat with your hand immedialety for a few seconds, just until incorporated. DO NOT OVERBEAT. Transfer mixture into prepared freezer bag with star tip attached, and pipe onto cookies sheets covered in parchment paper. You can pipe small dots od meringues to keep the parchment paper from sliding. Your gonna pipe large, high, tight, s-shapes. Avoid flattening it by having the tip to low to the cookie sheet. From end to end, each cookie should measure 3 1/2 inches. They will expand a 1/2 inch when baking, so make sure to leave enough room between cookies. Allow cookies to dry until set, about 2 hours and when you touch meringue stays intact. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower temperature to 200 degrees and bake without opening oven door for 20 minutes. Check to see if cookie is easily removed from cookie sheet. they should be wet inside, set on the outside. They will contiue to dry on the outside on removal from the oven, but will remin soft & chewy on the inside. If further baking is neccessary, rotate sheet and bake additional 10 mins. Let cool on cookie sheet. Makes 1 1/2 dozen 4" cookies. Keeps 1 week to 10 days at low humidity in airtight container.

Kavrena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavrena Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #108 of 340

O.K. I have been a little busy with family stuff and haven't been able to "play" on the computer, Lol.

Pineapple Jalapeno Vinegar

24 chunks (1 inch) fresh ripe pineapple
8 small jalapenos or red Serrano peppers
12-13 cups white vinegar
4 bamboo skewers (8 inches long)
4 attractive bottles with 3 1/2 cup capacity (at least 1inch mouth)

Thread 6 pineapple chunks and 2 peppers onto skewers, alternating pieces for color. Makes sure bottles have been sterilized. Carefully lower one threaded skewer into each bottle. Fill each bottle with vinegar until pineapple is submerged, cover bottle tightly and let steep in refrigerator for 3 days.

Store in refrigerator up to 3 months and add vinegar as needed to keep pineapples submerged. Use sweet peppers if the person receiving the vinegar does not like spicy food.

cheesecakekathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakekathy Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #109 of 340

I Love this thread I guess I will have fun this year making baskets. I usually get all of my neices,nephrews,grandchildren and adult kids and sisters all to gether and make cookie baskets. But, I thought about doing something different this year even before I saw this thread. Thanks.
So put me in I'm justa baking away.
So my list will consist of mini cheesecakes...my family loves.chocolate covered rod pretzel with christmas theme, sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting, cheesecake brownies, white chocolate and dark chocolate covered pretzels, peanut butter blossoms, truffles, holiday lollipops and two decorated mugs and coffee, hot chocolate or teas and a patridge and pear tree!!!! Whewwwww.. LOL . icon_smile.gif

Cakebaker58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebaker58 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #110 of 340

Have gained many ideas from these posts. I love the idea of the Pineapple Jalapeno Vinegar-----but how would someone use it or is it just for looks? I, too, like to do baskets for special people---postman, garbage collectors, helpers at work, UPS/Fed Ex drivers, etc. Most of the time just do Fudge, Divinity, Martha Washington candy, peanut butter balls, and a mini loaf cake, but see where this year many new recipes will be tried.

Thanks everyone for all of the good posts.

Kavrena Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #111 of 340

The pineapple jalepeno vinegar can be used in any recipe that calls for vinegar. Or at least that is how we have used it so far. My family's most favorite has been on cooked cabbage. Last year I also used it at as dipping sauce for my cabbage rolls. thumbs_up.gif HTH

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #112 of 340

Oh yes, Kavrena, it helps a lot...as well as makes my mouth water!

Kavrena Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #113 of 340

LOL, LaBellaFlor!!

This thread is making my life miserable icon_lol.gif , but in a good way. My previous list of the things I wanted to make has been thrown out the door. My DH is going to hate this, but my list is being revamped as we speak (or type).
Sigh!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #114 of 340

I do a bunch of baskets, bags or plates for friends/family every year. I intend to start making things the first of December. Don't have time to read every page of this thread now so I'll save to browse for ideas and recipes after I finish my present project. One thing I want to make this year is peanut butter fudge. It has to be easy, so if anyone has an out of this world recipe for it please post it. And if you don't mind would you pm me with it too when you have the time. In case I don't get thru the thread to find it. I'd suuure appreciate it!! Thanks!
Carol

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #115 of 340

Okay I went to a few stores today and I got:
cute red, white and green striped baskets (small- medium sized)
cute plastic round containers with santa or a snowman on sides
Both of these came from the Dollar tree.
Then I stopped by Target and in that little dollar section that they have near the front of the store - they had Christmas/ winter themed treat bags... twenty bags in a pack for 1 dollar. They also had those chinese carry out boxes - but I know I've seen them cheaper somewhere...I will report if I see them this week !!

I'm adding homemade chocolate covered cherries to my list ( a request from a relative).

Does anyone have an idea on how to package little bundt cakes ? I cannot find boxes small enough......

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #116 of 340

Maybe you can wrap them in saran wrap's holiday colors. They come out with a green and red plastic wrap every year.Tie it up with some curling ribbon and add it to you basket. HTH

Kavrena Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:31am
post #117 of 340

My first thought was the same as LaBellaFlor's. Or put them into the treat bags and tie with ribbon.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:29pm
post #118 of 340

For bundt cakes, my mom & I usually wrap them in saran wrap tightly, and then take "basket wrap" and fancy wrap the cake, tying it off with curling ribbon...HTH!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #119 of 340

Thanks for the wrapping ideas ladies ! I think I might test one out next week ( any reason to bake, right ?) This particular cake has a thick chocolate icing on top and I can't seem to remember if it sets firm or not....darn my selective memory !

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #120 of 340

Just chiming in and see how you girls are doing! Some of you should be baking by now!!! (the ones with large selections or lots of people!)
Remember, get your supplies and packaging because next monday everybody should start doing some serious baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%